DOTA 2 ingame screens. - Page 3

DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Google_Frog

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by Google_Frog »

Otherside wrote:Just get a grip and enjoy the game for the gameplay.
Of course, but we can't really judge the gameplay without playing it whereas we do have screenshots.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Well, you can argue about taste. I found the screens had sort of a fruity, but bland tongue, there was a hush of accid and flowers, and the whole stuff left with a trail of a further Episode 3 delay.

Also, having tasted so many, im now a little typpsio, pleeasee excuse me.
Gota

Post by Gota »

The fact Dota 2 is gonna use the same exact champs is realyl sad though...
Its like SC1 and SC2...
a Remake with a visual update.

Also riot announced Season 2 of LoL is gonna have a cash prize pool of 5 million dollars.
smoth

Post by smoth »

To me it all seems like a cash-in.

You didn't realize it was a direct remake? It is a (in greek accent)dry toast(in Greek accent) remake man
scifi

Post by scifi »

I prefer these(DOTA2) visuals, more clean/realistic, they do have more detail but Its a mater of taste.

I find it easyer and more fun to play, in a darker environment, its you and your team, each effect is more clear, and contrasted with the overall environment. Its like your striking from the shadows, each blow you make is more clear and unique.

Taste wins this discution but ill always prefer these kind of textures to the more cartonish/brigth look of LoL.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Gota wrote:The fact Dota 2 is gonna use the same exact champs is realyl sad though...
Its like SC1 and SC2...
a Remake with a visual update.

Also riot announced Season 2 of LoL is gonna have a cash prize pool of 5 million dollars.
Why would they remove tried and tested heroes?

The point of Dota 2 was to make a stand alone version of Dota on its own engine and that is it.
scifi

Post by scifi »

remake all they want, but if they dont add anything new, i doubt it will last, as there has been quite recent advances with LoL and HoN

PS:i think they know this
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

scifi wrote:I prefer these(DOTA2) visuals, more clean/realistic, they do have more detail but Its a mater of taste.

I find it easyer and more fun to play, in a darker environment, its you and your team, each effect is more clear, and contrasted with the overall environment. Its like your striking from the shadows, each blow you make is more clear and unique.

Taste wins this discution but ill always prefer these kind of textures to the more cartonish/brigth look of LoL.
Clean and realistic visuals would make sense if they had clean and realistic heroes, but they don't - DOTA2's heroes are still WC3esque comic-book characters. For that kind of imagery, I'd expect the characters to look like something out of Diablo 2.

Cartoonish imagery has a point too - it provides clear, visual distinction. Every difference is magnified.

This combination of muddy graphics and *extremely* fantastic characters seems to be a worst-of-both-worlds approach.... particularly in a genre that is less of a "genre" than it is a series of clones. I mean yeah, LOL and HON do have differences from DOTA, but it's nothing like the kind of variation you see in other genres. That's why I don't like when people skirt the issue and try to call these MOBAs or action-RTS games. They're not. They're DOTA-clones. So since DOTA2 is going to be hard pressed to come up with any *features* to set it apart from the clones, it's going to have to rely on *quality* to set it apart.

And the graphics don't look like they have that.

I really don't have and dogs in this race though - I played DOTA a bit back in WC3 days, and it just isn't my cup of tea in general.
scifi

Post by scifi »

For me the grafics are fine,i enjoy them better, visualy i can distinguish champs just fine with these grafics, but that wont decide if i should play the game or not, currently from a buyers prespective, id say "let it come out and well see".

What i would want is a more polished game, with more maps, abilities, spells,not just a remake with a single map.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

scifi wrote:remake all they want, but if they dont add anything new, i doubt it will last, as there has been quite recent advances with LoL and HoN

PS:i think they know this

I don't think you could be further from the truth. It will most probably kill HoN and I don't think it will make a huge dent in LoL's playerbase as it most likely wont be F2P and the game has a steeper learning curve than LoL.

The only new additions would be continuing as they did with dota and maybe add new things they couldn't add in the wc3 engine.

As someone who has played dota since its inception in WC3 and who has played with some of the european players currently playing in the Dota invitational (back in the good old inhouse DCE days *sigh). I think I have a fairly good understanding of the genre.

My predictions will be the following:

LoL will thrive mainly due to the huge financial backing from its mega rich owners and the casual appeal/free2play model. Even though they are throwing a ton of money at the competitive scene, the game is far from competitive and no amount of money will fix that unless Riot really start making changes. Will be largely unaffected by dota2.

HoN is now F2P and the playerbase has increased but being the closest dotalike it is the most likely casualty of Dota2's success. Alot of people moved from Dota to HoN because of the out dated WC3 engine so I can see the vast majority of legacy players shifting to Dota 2. Also the current lead developer is a dick and the game is going into a downward spiral (though still enjoyable in its current form). HoN will possibly die or have a tiny playerbase unless S2 has an ace up there sleeve though I can't see it seeing as they have gone back on their promises a ton of times.

Dota I think Dota 2 will not kill Dota as there will always be those few people who will always cling on to the old game (case in point SC,CS and that isn't even a few people) Also some players will not want to pay for dota 2 or have crappy pc's so they will not want to move over. One of the main reasons peope might shift over to dota2 however is because Icefrog will most probably stop mantaining dota so that people shift over to Dota 2. Also some players will not approve of the current art style UI. Imo most of the european and US players will shift to Dota 2 with a small portion of the playerbase in eastern europe staying with dota and I think the Asian scene will probably be divided half and half because until recently some Asian teams were still playing Dota 5.84 which was released 4-5 years ago.

Dota 2 will have a huge playerbase unless Valve cock it up and will be the premier esports title of the genre, how long will it last?? only time will tell but I can see Riot and Valve trying to splash the cash to try and claim the title of best esports game which is only a good thing for the genre. I think Dota2 will have the largest competitive community and LoL will have a larger casual community.

My 2 cent.s

Dotalike player (I hate the term MoBa) for near 7 years.

/Sign off
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Also just for a bit of perspective the Dota 2 stream at the invitational had 1.5 million viewers at the start which is now working up to 4 million.

This is not including restreamers on Own3d/Twitch/Justintv

http://dota2.com/tournaments/internatio ... &c=English
smoth

Post by smoth »

Fwiw I think your rant is spot on outside of calling people names I agree with it.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Watched that stream a bit.
The game looks great visually, sharp, easy to understand whats going on...
But the gameplay...
I feel like i want to get this game but than i remember the super carries, the creep denial, the super annoying jungling...
If anyone every saw a tutorial guide about one of the junglers, holy shit...
Id rather take an advanced math course.
I wish LoL had a similar visual style.
Last edited by Gota on 17 Aug 2011, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Gota

Post by Gota »

In what way is LoL uncompetitive?
What is your definition of a competitive game?When you need to click more than 200 times a minute?
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Gota wrote:In what way is LoL uncompetitive?
What is your definition of a competitive game?When you need to click more than 200 times a minute?
There are quite a few reasons but I will sum it up simply with what Chu said.

FYI for anyone who doesn't know who Chu is, he was the best HoN player and a top Dota player, he played LoL for a while and got to number 1 in US ladder in 3 weeks and has now come back to HoN.

Chu:

"seriously though I'm glad I got to try League of Bads, now all my arguments vs LoL will be valid. Well made casual game, donkeyshit competitive game. There is only one way this game can be played at top level and that is passive farm-lane-entire-game, with its metagame heavily reliant on a stupid free blink that probably plagued that game since the beginning of time. "

Flash is one of the main reasons why competitive LoL fails.

Now just like you said in the LoL thread stop derailing with your fanboism and being a hypocrite :)
smoth

Post by smoth »

I was the one who raised issue with you derailing not yan.

Just making sure your shrapnel hits the right mark
Gota

Post by Gota »

wow my rage levels going up....cant communicate with otherside.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Gota wrote:wow my rage levels going up....cant communicate with otherside.
Tell me why LoL is a better competitive game than HoN or Dota,Dota 2 or make another thread about it so not to derail.

I don't even know what the issue is with a "complex" (not complex at all if you actually played hon/dota properly) Jungle. Just because LoL jungle is is simple and only really played in one way with the only difference being where to start.

Your view will always be skewed towards LoL cus u play LoL.

I have over 600 games of LoL, over 1000 games of HoN and probably over 1500 games of Dota under my belt so I think I can pass fair judgement upon all three games.
smoth

Post by smoth »

To be fair you lean towards high bias otherside. Either game can be just as competitive. I think that is what yan is saying.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

smoth wrote:To be fair you lean towards high bias otherside. Either game can be just as competitive. I think that is what yan is saying.
Any game can be competitive if you throw enough money at it. The depth of the competition/skill levels and entertainment are dependent on the game.

My views may be skewed towards HoN but the main reason LoL is competitive now is not because of the game itself its because Riot has thrown a ton of money at it and it has obviously appealed to sponsors and players. The dota competitive scene grew out of nothing and HoN has done decently without a huge cash influx.

It was obvious from the beginning that Riot wasn't marketing to competitive players as it took 2 years to get a spectator feature and there is still no pause or real replay function (correct me if I am working not played LoL in a month)

With the financial backing they have they can seriously contend as an Esport because money buys power and they probably want to kill off HoN and Dota2. But the game at its heart is still a good casual game and nothing else.

If somebody threw 5 millions dollars into a Spring game and had a huge tournament then you could consider that a competitive Esport because people would just be interested in the money.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”