DOTA 2 ingame screens. - Page 2

DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by smoth »

taken to pm as I don't see the point of derailing the thread further. Moderators please split the drama out.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Gota

Post by Gota »

hmm, a boring trailer.
knorke

Post by knorke »

smoth wrote:reported for baiting momfreak
please stop reporting all kind of minor stuff, then replying to it and then demanding that somebody
smoth wrote:split the drama out.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

It's a pretty generic trailer.. all it reveals is that you'll control a single hero and there will be different roles (both massive surprises for a dota game :roll:). It could well be a trailer for Diablo.

I agree with smoth regarding the screenshots. The shopped version lacks the atmosphere that could get in the way of being able to see what's going on.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I didn't like the video. It confirms what I already feared. the designs are generic and uninteresting with very little actual character. Further more the only character I was interested in looks stupid(crixalis).
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

edit: oops accident post
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

dat sum LoL fanboism ?

The designs are inspired from the original WC3 models and most don't diverge from them alot. The one's that do look quite cool.

I will probably swap over from HoN to Dota 2 and imo this looks a crapton better than LoL. I don't see why you need bright colors and heroes to stick out like a sore thumb unless your blind or a kid with ADD.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Crix is a dota character otherside. He is a white scorpion. This new thing is nothing like him. The one in HON has to be acquired via an alternate skin and is all lava-y.

Inbefor looks don't matter when both lol and hon make a lot of money on skins.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

who cares how it looks; if its a decent game i'll probably get it

looks worlds better than hon/lol IMO, but then again that's just from viewing a few static images without context

but then again i've never really liked any valve games since HL1, so it'll probably just be another turd with shortfalls that are worlds apart from any actual strengths/weaknesses to the game itself

custom skins don't matter; the game being a financial success for the producing company means nothing in terms of whether you'll find it fun or not...
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

smoth wrote:Crix is a dota character otherside. He is a white scorpion. This new thing is nothing like him. The one in HON has to be acquired via an alternate skin and is all lava-y.

Inbefor looks don't matter when both lol and hon make a lot of money on skins.
Guess it is part of the art direction most resemble the originals in some way and can easily be identified by dota players. At least the art team has given a unified look as the art style works and nothing looks out of place so far.

I don't really have a gripe with sand king not being a scorpion and just being scorpion like.

Doombringer looks bad ass. And I am glad storm spirit isn't a Panda.
smoth

Post by smoth »

KaiserJ wrote: custom skins don't matter; the game being a financial success for the producing company means nothing in terms of whether you'll find it fun or not...
the point was that people DO care because they buy them.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

smoth wrote:the point was that people DO care because they buy them.
and MY point was that they don't change the gameplay; they are a consumerist marketing gimmick. there is implied value that "if you have this you will do better because people will see you've paid and will fear you" that exists in most competition. if you paid $400 (for example, reading a magazine ATM) for cristiano ronaldo soccer boots, will it make you a better player? no. same for LoL skins, they are meaningless fluff designed to rook you out of your money.

it would be the same if they sold little statues or t-shirts or something like that; the marketing and attractiveness of the product makes you want it but in reality you've purchased nothing of any discernable value.

if anything owning premium items like this might give a person confidence but it's a false confidence that lies in possessions accrued rather than skills mastered. it's a good way for bad players to feel like they are accomplishing something

edit : and i'm as guilty as anyone, sitting here in fashionable $200 shoes made in china. i would also buy a malzahar figurine, as it's something tangible. this is likely where my opinion differs from the skinbuyers
smoth

Post by smoth »

That is an odd assertion. I don't agree with it.

People have nice curtains not because the show they to their neighbors they have them because they like them. I don't know where you draw people having skins makes them some how feel elite. Maybe exclusives but I come from a generation that had polycount where players had 1000s of quake 2 skins. The culture was very much about wearing something that suits/amuses them. Like me play butterfly kog. It doesn't make me any better, anyone could have it. But those who know me that seems like a perfectly "Steve thing."
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

KaiserJ wrote:
edit : and i'm as guilty as anyone, sitting here in fashionable $200 shoes made in china. i would also buy a malzahar figurine, as it's something tangible. this is likely where my opinion differs from the skinbuyers

Thats just strange, why would you buy something like that? Grab a 3d modell and head towards the nearest 3d-printer.. or even better, sculp it yourself, or glue it together like smoth did. For heavens sake, you do the most awesome stuff, and then you waste your money for merchandising stuff who is propably done by people half that talented?

:roll:
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

"i come from a generation" lol okay gramps, you make it sound like quake 2 was in the 1940s. i also played a ton of quake 2... and it was because the game was fun, i truly didn't give a shit about the skins. (careful or you'll expose my youthful ignorance, i'm only twelve)

curtains is venturing into the realm of tangible possessions which i've stated i will actually buy.

the original point you've taken up was that i said that custom skins will NOT determine the success (not commercial success but critical success based on overall player experience) of a game. lets get back to this instead of semantics shall we because the argument becomes circular otherwise; find me a game other than second life where customizing the visuals of a character is a major selling point (or even of any importance) above playability and balance and the other things we would expect from a "good" game; or even a bad game that is redeemed to be playable based solely on custom character appearances?

i'm certain that you would not have bought a custom skin for league of legends if you had not found the game enjoyable to begin with, because although our analysis of the actual value of a custom skin differs, i really doubt you'd pay money to customize something you didn't enjoy in the first place
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

PicassoCT wrote: Thats just strange, why would you buy something like that? Grab a 3d modell and head towards the nearest 3d-printer.. or even better, sculp it yourself, or glue it together like smoth did. For heavens sake, you do the most awesome stuff, and then you waste your money for merchandising stuff who is propably done by people half that talented?
... or print a knife so i can just take what i want :twisted:
smoth

Post by smoth »

geeze, breathe in, breathe out.

"I come from a generation"
meaning a generation before all these dlc/buy for it skins.
as in maybe my perspective is different than most of the kiddies of this generation not you.

why do you people always like to assume condescension about you.

as far as games that feature a lot of customization. Oh I dunno HALO. people get pretty into their logo and colors. Or cod where you can unlock crazy cammo patterns/golden guns. diablo where you can color your guy based on the gems you have socketed. Or darkspore. tons man.

yeah people like to express themselves through their character's appearance. I have no idea why you are hung up on the status part like that.

my origonal point stands. People DO care what their guy looks like. "I'm not playing him, he looks gay"

as far as physical things you can hold, they can be burned or destroyed. I know this firsthand. They take up storage etc. I prefer something digital because it takes up no space. In fact panda and I are constantly trying to throw things away. so I am the opposite. I want digital things because they take NO space irl. when I figure out how to, I am going to rip all my dvds and throw them in one big box. I hate physical possessions because they take space up.

It is partly that reason that I put more work into grts than my plamo. GRTS is my version of a giant diorama. I am still working on it though.

anyway, point isn't what sort of way you want to spend your money. The point is people DO go "that guy looks cool, I want to get him" and "that guy looks gay, I am not using him"
Gota

Post by Gota »

Otherside wrote:dat sum LoL fanboism ?

The designs are inspired from the original WC3 models and most don't diverge from them alot. The one's that do look quite cool.

I will probably swap over from HoN to Dota 2 and imo this looks a crapton better than LoL. I don't see why you need bright colors and heroes to stick out like a sore thumb unless your blind or a kid with ADD.
Why do you hate LoL so much?Did the Riot devs do something evil to you personally?
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

I don't hate LoL. I find it the the inferior game of all the dotalike games but enjoyable at a strictly casual level.

I hate LoL players who bash HoN or other dota games for not being bright and colourful and heroes not standing out like a sore thumb.

I also dislike HoN players who call LoL graphics kidlike.

Just get a grip and enjoy the game for the gameplay.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”