Unlimited Polygons Technology is back

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUuUvDSXk4

Is this true? I have no idea about this kind of stuff but it does look amazing. Is this all bullshit? Talk to me artists.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Re: Unlimited Polygons Technology is back

Post by Satirik »

the guy could buy a better microphone
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

whatever he says, the demo is ugly, lots of details, but lot of repetition
Last edited by Satirik on 01 Aug 2011, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

You should never feed trolls, but:
"21 trillion 62 billion 352 million 435100 polygons"
That would translate to at least 21.0623.5243.5100 triangles without instancing, or 21.0623.5243.5100 * 3 vertices, or 21.0623.5243.5100 * 3 * 3 xyz-coordinates, or 21.0623.5243.5100 * 3 * 3 * 4 = 758.2446.8766.3600 bytes = 689 terabytes worth of geometry data assuming 4-byte floats, and people still believe this can be stored and rendered in real-time on (today's) consumer hardware...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The principle of the technology as I imagine it probably works is doable. But the content management is something else as Kloot pointed out. This kind of setup probably uses a hell of a lot of duplication and procedural elements.

This and we don't know that the demo is running in realtime and hasnt been prerendered. Also notice that the ground is flat and rectangular, with distinct levels
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

distanceblure saves the day, nonmoving objects- no measurable physixs, if this has a future, than as a nice stage upon which the polygonmodells deliver the show.

Polygons didnt win against voxels because they are better grafixwise, but because they are much easier to handle, edit and reuse. Imagine you are a programmer, wanting to write a falling leave in a physix engine.

Now you are busy with a lot of stuff, some of it beeing wind, the ability of the object to flex and whirl, and by the end of day, you will be happy as hell, that you dont have to do a thousand Integrals on a pointcloud.

No you just get a predefined set of points, that can be managed.

Tl,dr; Polygons maybe at a disavantage when it comes to detail, but with it content can be produced at limited workhours and prices.

It took them a year to produce this video- and what has changed? The trees are the same, the grass is the same, one new cactus and one new statue.

I cant see this new trains having a future! Surely the speed of travelling will crush the passengers!
The Laserscaning is actually used today - pretty comon to generate high detail surfaces for normalmaps from claymodells. Guys, even if this technology is good. It came to late to the party.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Wow that guy in the video is talking such a crap, just trying to use as much as possible tech terms to give the illusion of being an expert.

I wonder what he intents with this. Does he try to steal money from the banks? Does he try to sell preorder accounts to indie devs? Or is it just a stupid loser trying to make fun of all others?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I wonder how all these lovely particles would cope with a little animation. I noticed none in the video.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I think it is a troll.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

Kloot wrote:You should never feed trolls, but:
"21 trillion 62 billion 352 million 435100 polygons"
That would translate to at least 21.0623.5243.5100 triangles without instancing, or 21.0623.5243.5100 * 3 vertices, or 21.0623.5243.5100 * 3 * 3 xyz-coordinates, or 21.0623.5243.5100 * 3 * 3 * 4 = 758.2446.8766.3600 bytes = 689 terabytes worth of geometry data assuming 4-byte floats, and people still believe this can be stored and rendered in real-time on (today's) consumer hardware...
Very good point.

Apparently this is not how it works http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Cx4#t=343s I skipped to the important part
Jazcash wrote:I wonder how all these lovely particles would cope with a little animation. I noticed none in the video.
Me neither. But here is a quote from the description:
This demo only shows what was ready at the time, we have a lot of really good stuff here but we are keeping it secret for now. (Yes grumpy forum people, we do have animation, but you'll just have to be patient.)
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

TheMightyOne wrote:
Jazcash wrote:I wonder how all these lovely particles would cope with a little animation. I noticed none in the video.
Me neither. But here is a quote from the description:
This demo only shows what was ready at the time, we have a lot of really good stuff here but we are keeping it secret for now. (Yes grumpy forum people, we do have animation, but you'll just have to be patient.)
I lol'd xD
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Anybody else noticed the flickering off the "voxels" once you move the camera to fast?

Also, he sold himself out in the first video. "We are going to keep this a little bit simple for those who are new to computer grafix!"

WTF! Anybody interested in that, meaning beeing a potential customer is definatly a company who has experience with 3dgrafix allready. So, what sort of introduction is that? Its the sort of introduction for a broad scale scam, something you keep on cooking on the fire, never presenting it to anybody handson, and then one day claim it to be a superior technology, that is supressed(aka ignored) by the evil industry and therefore needs "private" investors to succeed! Please investe here, our 3d tech will repay you as shareholders a thousand times if you do. Actually im thinking about grabbing my nigerian prime minister email account and offering them some money to develop this baby out of its crushed-by-imperialistic-dark-forces-craddle... but now, to lazy. To many fools out there, waiting to be ripped off. Might as well join him. Hand me the black hat.

Guys, guys, ive seen it, hands on, it works, it just needs a little time and dev-money to get it out of the door, and change the world. It will be completely diffrent from any other housemade engine. For nOn-Real this will quake he Industry.

(Nobody looses a time if you would switch to pointclouds that work, its actually just converting the polygon modells, or even easier reusing the highdetail meshes from normal mapping)
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Its impossible to update data represented this way -> meaning 100% static scene with nothing moving at all..
Not very exciting unless you making virtual tour and not a game.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

Notch has spoken
Petah

Post by Petah »

I don't know who to believe
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

to quote the pratchet:

"Hard working individuals, who have to sweat for every dime earned in there live, are ready to believe that all of the sudden, money is lieing out on the street, and that this chance only presents itself to them, beeing ignored by all those greedy rich bastards."

If they would be honest, they would at least admit, that this engine has only potential for backgroundgrafix, especially for highly repetetiv small details- there it actually has a market gap to fill.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Maybe we should start a spring Scam all on our own?

Unlimited Units? How does that sound?

Anybody want to donate? Just put the money in that thrusty hobbohat going round. Worrys? Hey, its a top hat, so we are among gentleman, well its a little worren, maybe has some holes were the money may drop through, but our technology is solid, as long as you dont put your hands on...

We need to make spring closed source for this scam to work.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

Notch wrote: ItÔÇÖs possible to rotate, scale and translate individual chunks of voxel data to do simple animation (imagine one chunk for the upper arm, one for the lower, one for the torso, and so on), but itÔÇÖs not going to look as nice as polygon based animated characters do.
Does this remind you of Spring in any way? ;)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”