Rudeness for newcomers

Rudeness for newcomers

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Epicentre

Rudeness for newcomers

Post by Epicentre »

Hi there.

I just tried my first online BA game yesterday evening. I watched 5-6 games before entering one.

As expected, I have tons of things to learn. But something that was really unexpected was rudeness. Only from 1 player, BTW. I learned I am a retard, and many other things about me and my country. Other players were neutral or helpful.

This kind of behaviour surely doesn't help this community growing. If n00bs just get insults without explanation on what to do better, they will just give 1 (one) try to this game and hit "uninstall", or play single games with bots.

The sad thing, is, as always, 5% of the population is missing education and respect, and the remaining 95% is just on the same ship.

See you later... maybe. Free to stick around here, free to go away.
Petah

Re: Rudeness for newcomers

Post by Petah »

omg gtfoi? this is the internet, people are not always nice.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

nah, but the problem is that in comercial products you get a moderated lobby, and every troll gets a kick so hard the boot is gonna stick. And that the standards we are measured with.
Flouring worfilters for the work?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Ah Picasso. Even in such a simple thread where your reply could have potentially been normal or sensible, you still somehow manage to baffle me with your crazy logic and way with words<3
PJY

Post by PJY »

@Epicentre

Yes, I was spectating in that game and you may recall I made a couple of consoling remarks to you. My recommendation is to ignore the rudeness. As it happens the other player who was being rude to you wasn't playing much better than you so don't take it to heart. The remarks made reflect badly on that other player, not on you.

Keep playing, keep learning. Ignore any abuse.

In the meantime, more generally I agree that the community can be rather harsh to new guys. Collectively it'd be nice to be more pleasant. Almost all of the experienced players are ok but sometimes a bit of impatience can boil over.

Cheers

PJ
Epicentre

Post by Epicentre »

I already played a couple free / non commercial games and this is the 1st time I encounter such a stinker. I also understand that most people here are nice and, although getting sometimes a bit angered about other mistakes, will manage their feelings so they don't behave like beasts.

Anyway, I think I will go on with this one, for a week or 2.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

We had some debate about these things and the conclusion was that players are especially acidic because the usual games here are big pvp teamgames with long games and a lot of waiting for new games, so players have a big investment in a game and heavy reliance on your teammates not to mess things up.

Some people are not too nice, try playing smaller games and state you are new before the game, grow a thicker skin and tell the person being a dick "I may not play too well but I am trying my best".
smoth

Post by smoth »

Epicentre wrote:I already played a couple free / non commercial games and this is the 1st time I encounter such a stinker. I also understand that most people here are nice and, although getting sometimes a bit angered about other mistakes, will manage their feelings so they don't behave like beasts.

Anyway, I think I will go on with this one, for a week or 2.
you have not played very many games then or were just lucky. No one is going to make the players play nice. fact of the matter is that is the nature of online gaming. Even in the dailup days you would run into raging douchbags. Best thing to do is ignore them or learn to have fun with them(my personal favorite) by making fun of them in return.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

The funny thing is: players have to wait for small games even longer (one of my reasons to play in big games) - higher investment, but there are much less douchbags.

I think it has to do with DSD, where players expect you to fulfill exactly the "role of this spot". All variation that is allowed is "optimization" of that role - except if you're gold star or higher.

In small games players communicate much more with each other, and they take more responsibility - for their own actions, but they also care more about your actions (in a positive way).

I play BA for a year now, and still am total noob compared to good players. When I started I also got a lot yelling from "pros" - with time I realized that DSD-pros are far away from being good players - especially those that yell!

The best experiences I had in small games - often after a game in the lobby opponents tell each other what was good and what to do better. Also good was, when a player on my team or a spec "took care" of me and gave me hints.

What also helps is a higher rank - people think you play better with a higher rank and respect you automatically more...

Most players seem to be adolescent boys - so in any case - you'll need a coat against stupidity :wink:
smoth

Post by smoth »

This is true both in ba and L.O.L.:
A bad player will be screaming at the new guy
A bad player will always blame the new guy even though the matches are seldom close enough for one player to really matter
A bad player will be the first to start biching about others, good players are too busy to bitch.

A good player tries to keep the team going.
A good player tries to work with the new player
A good player will ASK if you need sone help
A good player realizes bitching you out wastes valuable time
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Wouldnt it be cool if a team could vote for temporary take-over, taking over some of the new guys stuff for half a minute if he screws up at the start, ordering some sensible buildchains- and ice them? Lateron, where the damage gets less exponential, such take-overs could be forbidden.

Would need 85 Percentage to succeed
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

sorry to hear of people being dicks; you've the right attitude about it, and i think you'll be fine with a bit of practice. its tough with such a small community and a lot of good players to break into the game.

smaller games are a bit better from a learning perspective, but if you want to play in the big 8v8s, make sure to start in front of a high-ranked or good player, and to ask them for advice. "i'm very new, i want to help, what should i make?"

some players might actually be willing to train you, play 1v1 and give you tips as you go. i'd played for a few weeks before someone offered that for me, and it was only then that i started to really get my brain into TA mode
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I'd say the problem is that BA is too successful. :P When you play lesser played Spring games, players are automatically nice because they're so glad to have found someone to play with, while with BA, they don't care about abusing new people away since they always have the hundred or so BA player pool to play with.

That the same problem occurs in nearly every other online game doesn't make it any more acceptble.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

This is intrinsic to playing a small-team game where having a weak teammate will bring down your whole gameplay experience. See the infamously vicious communities of DOTA-like games for comparison.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Its a factor to all team-games, that you somehow depend upon each other. However, it could be somehow rewarded, if you teach and protect the nubs. Mission, bonuspoints, extra-ressources.. it should be possible.

And you should be able to plant tutorial-build chains... select the nubs com, and build the stuff he should build, so that he can see the buildorder as a sort of overlay, at least.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Pxtl wrote:This is intrinsic to playing a small-team game where having a weak teammate will bring down your whole gameplay experience. See the infamously vicious communities of DOTA-like games for comparison.
Pxtl lol is one of those. I am sorry it my post was unclear
Epicentre

Post by Epicentre »

PicassoCT wrote: And you should be able to plant tutorial-build chains... select the nubs com, and build the stuff he should build, so that he can see the buildorder as a sort of overlay, at least.
I watched the games I played, again. I already learned some interesting things, and got a few idea on things I should do.

Such as trying to get more metal ASAP as lpomg as they're free, and also use more wind generators (when possible), since it takes less metal. And also use com and not builders to expand and grow towards front line. And also don't make advanced solars too quickly, they eat metal.

I also wonder why people with the same count(mex) as me generate more metal. I will investigate that.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

This is intrinsic to playing a small-team game where having a weak teammate will bring down your whole gameplay experience. See the infamously vicious communities of DOTA-like games for comparison.
unfortunatly this has some truth in it. We cant expect normal people to "waste" there time on mentoring and tutoring, just because some great indivduals in this comunity do so. So how about unlocking a bonus if you protect nubies?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Yes we should. That is part of my whole "good player rant"
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

you cant expect people to be copys of you smoth, or knorke copys, or kaiserj copys and so on and so forth. Its great here on the board, but even from a thousand nice words, some mean pro-troll wont grow angel wings. But if enduring the nub-issance wihtout insults is rewarded with faster and more furious tanks for a minute or two, suddenly beeing nice is buisness.

(and cheatedn and exploited upon from the first second on).. sorry was a stupid idea...

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”