Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help. - Page 10

Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

A tense title presenting the period of frigid conflict under Imperial rule in the Star Wars universe at lightspeed.

Moderator: Content Developer

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

Post by FLOZi »

Gnomre wrote:If it were only up to me, I would have just made the svn we put up public long ago, but it's not my decision alone to make. That's my vote, in any case.
The voice of reason.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

smoth wrote:keep delaying and it will not. You need to learn a lesson from DNF, get the project out warlord. The ui Gnomre was working on was fine, you don't need to wait for that. Other than that it is just some chicken mech anims, we have some here by zydox, use them and stop making that excuse.

Call it a beta:
Seriously, by the time you finally put it out my small project will have surpassed you. You need to get something out there, label it as a public beta and don't call it finished. Careful use of language is important, if you need me to proof read for you on that I will.

Adopt rapid:
this way you can put out faster hotfixes.

test it against the master build:
it will break. there are some major changes coming, having a new version to switch out really quick would be prudent and really isn't THAT much work.

make the effort to post:
seriously, start posting, the entire team sees you as abandoning, they will abandon you. Your excuse for no return wore thin and is now transparent. I know you see it as truth, I see it as procrastination, you are making excuses. You need to get people helping you, getting people to commit to action requires you being active and pushing to personally get shit done. YOU need to be doing something.

It's a long time coming and I am pretty sure there are enough people here with the skill to help you get it out the door if you don't make stupid demands(like wanting an entirely new ui) people will likely help you finish it off. I know you have more to push out but you need to pinch this one off and start on the next push.
^^ this post was right on.
smoth

Post by smoth »

linuxboy wrote:Please take notice that Imperial Winter forums on the IW website have been closed to new registrations.

This is bad publicity. Please keep the forums open.

Also, as I stated earlier in this thread, PLEASE quit posting negative/sarcastic posts, especially with bad language. Its not professional, and its against the Spring Forums rules. Nobody wants to do anything for anybody who is swearing at them.

I want to help keep a positive, co-operative spirit on this forum.

Smoth, about your post with the picture, you are being absurd. Why shouldn't there be "we want to see progress" posts? I think you scared everyone into not posting for a few weeks (which is bad publicity and also probably bad for progress) for no reason. You say that this forum is full of "advice and suggestion but no will to work". First of all, I see no suggestions on this thread, other than the suggestion to release sooner than planned. Second, aren't suggestions what this thread is for? In fact, all the posts seem to fit exactly with the thread topic of "Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help".

I guess what I'm trying to say is PLEASE keep this thread clean and co-operative. We will go nowhere without some politeness. In my opinion, everyone here has had something valuable to say on this thread, and should keep on posting. Just make sure what you are saying is polite and helpful.
That's nice coming from a guy who refuses to help them at all. Shut the hell up.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

A public svn would let me add Shard support, rather than years of crypticness.

I agree that IW promotional media should be taken down. It's a rolling PR disaster, and it's misinformation/misadvertisement of the engine, plain and simple. It also damages the potential IW userbase.
linuxboy

Post by linuxboy »

smoth wrote:
linuxboy wrote:Please take notice that Imperial Winter forums on the IW website have been closed to new registrations.

This is bad publicity. Please keep the forums open.

Also, as I stated earlier in this thread, PLEASE quit posting negative/sarcastic posts, especially with bad language. Its not professional, and its against the Spring Forums rules. Nobody wants to do anything for anybody who is swearing at them.

I want to help keep a positive, co-operative spirit on this forum.

Smoth, about your post with the picture, you are being absurd. Why shouldn't there be "we want to see progress" posts? I think you scared everyone into not posting for a few weeks (which is bad publicity and also probably bad for progress) for no reason. You say that this forum is full of "advice and suggestion but no will to work". First of all, I see no suggestions on this thread, other than the suggestion to release sooner than planned. Second, aren't suggestions what this thread is for? In fact, all the posts seem to fit exactly with the thread topic of "Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help".

I guess what I'm trying to say is PLEASE keep this thread clean and co-operative. We will go nowhere without some politeness. In my opinion, everyone here has had something valuable to say on this thread, and should keep on posting. Just make sure what you are saying is polite and helpful.
That's nice coming from a guy who refuses to help them at all. Shut the hell up.
I don't see how anything I said relates to me offering help. If I was demanding a release, or making impossible suggestions that I wouldn't help work on, I would understand what you said. However, all I suggested was that we post more politely and allow "progress" posts. I see nothing unreasonable about that. Furthermore, I again don't see how that relates to me not helping.
smoth

Post by smoth »

You want to come in here and tell me about cooperating to get stuff done all while you refuse to help(that is assuming you can). You want to lecture me about professionalism, I am professional all day. Unless you are my client and are paying me you don't get that. This is amateur development community I am not paid to be here be grateful I help at all but that's ok because you don't see fit to lift a single finger!

Also blaming me for others not posting, no thank you. Swiw has been in a development quagmire for years I know because I know the devs and have spent more time defending this project than you account has time on this forum. Don't you DARE accuse me of causing bad br, you have no clue about this project!

So I don't know about your moral high horse you ride on or what authority you seem to believe you have but you need a reality check scrub.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

If you say something that may be the truth (or not), how does it even matter how many hours you spend lurking the forums or how many units you textured?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Mostly I post when I am compiling or some other task at work which has me idle. I think I am getting pretty good at posting from my phone. I wish I could map model or script but sadly this is client time so at the most I can post while idle.

Idle being come on progress bar move damnit! Or eating lunch. The reply before this one was a lunch post
linuxboy

Post by linuxboy »

smoth wrote:You want to come in here and tell me about cooperating to get stuff done all while you refuse to help(that is assuming you can). You want to lecture me about professionalism, I am professional all day. Unless you are my client and are paying me you don't get that. This is amateur development community I am not paid to be here be grateful I help at all but that's ok because you don't see fit to lift a single finger!

Also blaming me for others not posting, no thank you. Swiw has been in a development quagmire for years I know because I know the devs and have spent more time defending this project than you account has time on this forum. Don't you DARE accuse me of causing bad br, you have no clue about this project!

So I don't know about your moral high horse you ride on or what authority you seem to believe you have but you need a reality check scrub.
Ok. If I'd have known how much conflict my post would have caused, I would have had second thoughts about posting it. If I offended anyone, I sincerely apologize. I DO realize that this is all volunteer effort, and that many people (including you, smoth) have been around a lot longer than me, and definitely know more than me. I will try to remember that. The original intent of my post was to LOWER the level of conflict on this thread, not increase it.

Please keep up the hard work!
smoth

Post by smoth »

Why don't you want to help?
If you are a Linux guy as your name suggests.. Why not post about swiw on some Linux forums... Someone else might be willing to help and by recruiting you have helped.

Why not? I don't understand you.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

smoth, I'm not sure what you think your defending but your being a jerk.. it's not a crime to be asking for recent advances on an exciting project, especially one that was 95% complete when the lead dev accidently for 2 years
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am annoyed that he came back a month later to lecture me. A MONTH LATER.
*edit correction* the thread was actually moving along well and a MONTH AND A HALF later... he comes in to lecture me on some bullshit. LIKE YOU have with the need to feel righteous or whatever. Instead of pming me.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:smoth, I'm not sure what you think your defending but your being a jerk.. it's not a crime to be asking for recent advances on an exciting project, especially one that was 95% complete when the lead dev accidently for 2 years

Careful!! It is in many unmarked parts of this forum, i should know, I've had various board warnings for uttering the forbidden words ( lone instances with the previous uttering being months prior so not spam )
phas

Post by phas »

So, can we finally daclare IW dead for good?
Hentheden

Post by Hentheden »

It can't be dead.....IT CAN'T BE! IT'S THE ONLY STAR WARS STRATEGY GAME SINCE BATTLEGROUNDS!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

If it is dead now- can we eat it?
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

I declare that ewoks have invaded australia and took zsinj hostage until he gives them ALL satisfactory belly rubs and yubbing.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Warlord left spring to sheer sheep.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

shear sheep, correct spelling is very important
smoth

Post by smoth »

My bad I was thinking of new Zealand when I posted that..

I kid, i kid, <3 you kiwis.

Return to “Star Wars: Imperial Winter”