SpringLobby: merge chat and battle windows

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

It would be much better for the community if the chat & battlelist windows were on the same screen.

Also default start the lobby in this screen.

I think this would help newbies a lot and promote more communication, back in the days when TASclient was more popular.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Re: SpringLobby: merge chat and battle windows

Post by hoijui »

what your post reads like for a SpringLobby dev:
Jammer wrote: I will now tell you how to improve your software, cause you obviously have no idea. Everyone agrees with me, nobody with you.
<idea>
Software X, is much better then yours.
now if you want to piss them off, that will do the job just fine, but if you actually want a solution, you do'in it way rong.

what your post should have looked like:
Jammer wrote: As i have a big screen, i could easily fit both chat & battle-list on the same screen, which would safe me some mouse-clicks and give a wider overview on one screen.
is it already possible to do that with SL?
if not, how hard would it be to add it, and can i help with it?
This reads as:
Jammer wrote:i want A, because of B. can you help me, please?
... which is what you want, if you care about your request being considered.
in short, it is disrespect vs basic respect. note that you do not have to tell them that SL is the greatest software ever made.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

Jammer wrote:... the chat & battlelist windows were on the same screen.
You can drag&drop tabs to create a layout of your liking with only a few limititations.
Jammer wrote:Also default start the lobby in this screen.
Petition your game devs to put a default config to your liking in their installers. EvolutionRTS does this on both windows and ubuntu for example. We will not change the hardcoded defaults.

Also read the only sticky in this subforum. I only noticed this post cause of hoijui 's lovely explanation.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

You can drag&drop the tabs to archive that.

If you want the devs to release SL with a certain default setup, make a screenshot and propose it on the issue tracker.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

koshi wrote:You can drag&drop tabs to create a layout of your liking with only a few limititations.
Hell yeah! I didnt know this, very nice feature!
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Beherith wrote:
koshi wrote:You can drag&drop tabs to create a layout of your liking with only a few limititations.
Hell yeah! I didnt know this, very nice feature!

awesome.

Hoijui-
Submitted.
Apparently you did not read what I wrote as this suggestion is to promote community interaction and immediate uptake by newbs. Every time I check the forums there is whining about lack of new players.

Many players are going to be turned away just because the default Lobby starts them looking at a blank "Singleplayer" tab, nobody in the Chat is talking because nobody is looking at Chat (They are either looking at BattleList or Battleroom).

It's not going to appeal to players if they have to
1) figure out what they are looking at (hmm blank window. hmm Singleplayer?)
2) go to the next tab that looks good: Battleroom!
3) weird, this window is empty too
4) go to next tab: Battlelist
5) they don't understand the Battlelist or have trouble downloading
6) they find the chat tab
7) they as a question to #newbies and wait 5 minutes with no response
8) they ask the question again in #main and wait 3 minutes for a response

Who do you think has such patience for a game they have never played before?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

guys, i knew the thing about movable stuff too.
i hope you can see now why i did not answer this...
you answering him resulted in him thinking he did nothing wrong; lesson failed.
now he is just a bigger dickhead even then he was before.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

hoijui wrote:guys, i knew the thing about movable stuff too.
i hope you can see now why i did not answer this...
you answering him resulted in him thinking he did nothing wrong; lesson failed.
now he is just a bigger dickhead even then he was before.
what the hell !
cleanrock
Former Engine Dev

Post by cleanrock »

Jammer,
I think you have a valid point and i cant see anything in your posts that would upset a springlobby dev, just good constructive feedback.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Guys, you have to understand something... This board is very multicultural with many many different countries being represented. As a result, as a newbie, you need to word things semi carefully (course... you're a newbie, how would you know that???).

For example:
Jammer wrote:It would be much better for the community if the chat & battlelist windows were on the same screen.

I think this would help newbies a lot and promote more communication, back in the days when TASclient was more popular.
^^ that seems perfectly reasonable to me and if it was directed at me, I would take it as constructive criticism and a good post.

However, hoijui for reasons known only to god takes offense at posts like this (to be fair, you can't really make any post about something that you don't like to hoijui and have him not get mad). About the only thing you can do is mark it up to multicultural differences and move on.

However, koshi (who is one of the lobby devs), is very nice and easygoing, and easy to get along with, so I doubt you'll bother him too much with a first post like that.

Synopsis: Not your fault Jammer, you did nothing wrong.

@hoijui, stop looking for reasons to be pissed off. It gets old.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

Forboding Angel wrote:Guys, you have to understand something... This board is very multicultural with many many different countries being represented. As a result, as a newbie, you need to word things semi carefully (course... you're a newbie, how would you know that???).

For example:
Jammer wrote:It would be much better for the community if the chat & battlelist windows were on the same screen.

^^ that seems perfectly reasonable to me and if it was directed at me, I would take it as constructive criticism and a good post.

However, hoijui for reasons known only to god takes offense at posts like this (to be fair, you can't really make any post about something that you don't like to hoijui and have him not get mad). About the only thing you can do is mark it up to multicultural differences and move on.

However, koshi (who is one of the lobby devs), is very nice and easygoing, and easy to get along with, so I doubt you'll bother him too much with a first post like that.

Synopsis: Not your fault Jammer, you did nothing wrong.

@hoijui, stop looking for reasons to be pissed off. It gets old.
by cultural you mean hoijui is the only girl over here ? focusing on the how instead of the what ...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

No cultural as in comping from different backgrounds. I could meet smoth in a bar, and my first words to him being "Go get fucked asshole" and we both just laugh.

Which the rest of you would probably just go cry (I'm not being serious(about the crying thing)... sigh).
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

koshi wrote:I only noticed this post cause of hoijui 's lovely explanation.
think about it...

you are right in one thing, that koshi is nice and easy going and what not, but as this seems to suggest, he still agrees with me.
guess there are two girls here after all.
... of course it could be just him being cynical, but would that be koshi like?

it takes a real man to adopt good practices culturally attested to be girlish, like respecting each other. there are entire societies that have no problem with that.
just go figure who is actually ignoring multi-culturalism.
you are accusing me to not accept being non respectful as a valid culture.
... so discriminating of me, really!
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

... and this is why I like bug reports and feature requests on our issue tracker. People talk less.

Now, let's set a couple things straight:
The only issue I took with the OP is that he ignored the only sticky in this subforum before posting, which clearly states I want this stuff on our issue tracker.
hoijui's first post lead me to read this topic, not because I think it's actually lovely, but because he doesn't usually post in a subforum I largely ignore (as stated in the sticky).
Is the tone of the OP not the greatest? Maybe. Do I care? No. I certainly did not get pissed off by it, if I did i'd need to be in a constantly uber-pissed-off-at-nothing state and that's just not healthy. What actually got on my nerve then was the utter lack of comprehending my response, resulting in http://goo.gl/9j2oa

This whole thread just shows that I need to lock threads like this more proactively in the future.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Seeing that report changes things. The original post in this thread was concise, the the point, and neither hostile nor demeaning.

The report on the issue tracker sounds like whining to me.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Well this has showed me that there are some sensitivity issues with some people here.

I guess that's what I get for making reasonable suggestions.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I have git installed, can I make a new branch or something?

The thing is the suggestions are meant to target first-time users of Spring so it is important that it is the default functionality.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

Jammer wrote:I guess that's what I get for making reasonable suggestions.
Other people's jabbering aside, how exactly have I not answered your request and what made you think submitting the exact same thing to our issue tracker would result in any other response?

Edit: yes you can branch and we're usually grateful for any incoming patches. Find me in #springlobby
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Conversely, I always find myself forgetting that the current battleroom is located in the "Chat" tab in ZK-lobby.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Yeah, when I used it last that confused me too hehe. I guess the moral of the story is that you just can't win ;p

Return to “SpringLobby Client”