AATA Beta 0.9 - Page 7

AATA Beta 0.9

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

heroesdoexist07

Post by heroesdoexist07 »

Here's a solution to boredom: Built 8 210mm mortars, a dozen or so Nebelwerfers, and around 100 mortars....and light up an innocent hillside. Gives you a nice firing pattern.

Then I march a nice, innocent army right into the middle of it.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Felix, heroes, Guessmyname, rakitsune,

any of you have an ATI card?
heroesdoexist07

Yup, Radeon 9,200,000
tomcat ha

Post by tomcat ha »

So im no longer the researcher and betatester of AATA? Well it was fun being in the team. I was around when AATA was founded back with that pacific front. Well good luck to the team and hurry up i still want to play it. :P
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

FLOZi wrote:Felix, heroes, Guessmyname, rakitsune,

any of you have an ATI card?
Can't remember :/
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

M3 Grant/Lee
Like Flozi said, M3's were phased out mostly by 42-43, however the unit is there. Just not included in any factory. Expect the Brits to use them, however.
M3 and M5 Stuart
Pretty much the only major differences were thicker armour for the M5, and the rear idler wheel being placed at ground level to distribute weight.
Jumbo
:P
Deep Fording Sherman, Amtrac, DUKW
Like Flozi said the DF Sherman is supposed to simply be able to go deeper in water than most other vehicles. The Amtrac and DUKW are meant to actually float in the water, like boats.
R4M Rockets
Are probably going to be removed.
FG42 Scope
StG. 44's were also fitted with scopes and fired the same ammunition (<3 them in FH).
Stuka
Stuka's were pretty much altogether withdrawn from frontline service starting in 41-42, because they were absolutely outclassed by almost anything with wings, and its duties could more or less be performed by much faster Bf 109s and Fw 190s fitted with bombs. It was however a large and stable enough platform for the two 37mm's and it was used for that, and even then, it was being replaced by things like the Hs 129.

tomcat: We don't really have the need anymore. The research is done.
heroesdoexist07

Quote:
FG42 Scope

StG. 44's were also fitted with scopes and fired the same ammunition (<3 them in FH).
Hey, I play FH too! I'm a huge fan of that mod...but sorry, you're wrong. The Stg44 fired an 8mm 'kurz' round (kurz meaning short). The FG42 fired the full-length 8mm Mauser cartridge and, thus, was nearly uncontrollable.
Quote:
M3 and M5 Stuart

Pretty much the only major differences were thicker armour for the M5, and the rear idler wheel being placed at ground level to distribute weight.
The website I'm at (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... stuart.htm) states that the rear idler was at ground level for the M3 as well. Apparantly, the major difference was the replacement of the Continental engine with 2 Cadillacs and the installation of a hydromatic transmission. (You were right on the money with the armor, though.) The top speed was increased from ~35 to ~40, but the site says that they had the tank up to 50mph during trials.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Whats FH?
heroesdoexist07

It's a mod for Battlefield 1942 called Forgotten Hope. It's almost twice as large as the original game (Or maybe larger....it's around 3.5 gigs fully extracted).

It has, I believe, more distinct units, vehicles, weapons, maps, uniforms, etc. than any other game. Period. That'd be a safe guess, anyway. If you combine the infantry weapons and vehicles together, it comes fairly close to Absolute Annihilation in magnitude. I highly suggest a download. The gameplay is realistic and intense, and the devs have turned the engine of a 5 year old game into a thing of beauty.

http://www.fhmod.org

...read 'em and weep. Just a small caution though, the weapon and vehicle database is about 8 months and 2 versions out of date.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Personally I can't wait for FH2 :P

Anywho, me and felix just had a complete, several hours long, no crashes, game.

We banned aircraft, so it looks like we have a suspect for the crashing bug.

If anyones bothered it was on River Dale, and I won with a monstrous Tiger rush (More like a crawl!) down the right hand side into the vunerable heavy factories he had hidden behind a hill out of reach of my artillery. :twisted:

He put up a damned good fight though, easily repelling my earlier attacks with fewer Tigers and more infantry, PzIV, Marder and support halftracks. And eating away at my forces with panther and tiger rushes and plenty of SP artillery - Hummels and the heavy rockets mainly. :(

Was cracking, and we spotted a few things that need fixing too. i.e. buildtime of heavy tanks, blast radius of artillery, Sdkfz 250/9 can't cross the shallow water probably some other stuff i can't think of.

:-) :-) :-)
heroesdoexist07

Which way are you going to adjust the buildtimes and blast radius?

You played axis vs. axis? Weak sauce lol.

I need to watch this demo or i'll be shaking for a week. Flozi it sounds great.

...but i'm pissed because Mr. Radeon 9200 won't RUN bf2's bitch ass
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Add buildtimes of SP NbWs to the list, I think you have them reversed (150mm costs more than 300mm). Or did I mention that in game?

I'll have to check out Forgotten Hope...
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Remember, buildtimes are a direct reflection of availability... the SP 300mm rockets were more common than the SP 150mm, atleast as far as I could find.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Perhaps we should reconsider that, or make the difference in resources greater...

Most of the problem comes from the insane metal output of AATA flags on most Spring maps, I was supporting 500+ units with just two flags, and building a Tiger every 8 seconds, and SP rocket of either type in about the same time.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

I concur.
heroesdoexist07

OH.

Thank you, spiked. I had no idea. Build time represents availability. Bonking genius.

I was mentally toying around with something like infantry require metal - it's easy to get metal with these flags, and who runs out of resources building infy anyway? - and tanks require metal, but mainly hugely great gobs of energy. This is where you'll slow the production down a little since it's harder to get enough energy, space to build the energy buildings, etc. I'm talking huge gobs of energy here (and maybe by some function of the build time?). I toyed around with this for about 5 minutes in the shower, then some soap got in my eyes.

So, every unit is gonna use energy, but some (like your basic rifleman) will take a completely negligeable amount since they don't need a huge supply chain. Light vehicles will cost some more - small caliber ammo and some fuel - artillery costs some more, for the mountains of shells they need, and tanks and aircraft need fusion reacto~ lots of it. Build times stay the same, aye? So now you have strategic bombing of your opponent's energy grid because each Tiger now costs approximately 1 shitload in energy (logistics) but is built in the same time.

Metal, if you're curious, would represent manpower. And you only need 5 MEN to use a tank, so only 5 times the metal of an infyman. The engineers, plane prep workers, etc. are logistical in nature and are included in the energy cost. SO:

Metal = Flags = Manpower.
Energy = Logistical stockpiles, ammo dumps, fuel dumps, etc. = Logistics.
Built Time = Procurement.

So you have to make a choice between this game being strategic (in which building a tank represents...well, BUILDING it) and it being tactical (in which building it represents procuring it). I favor the latter, especially since Flozi told me you were concentrating on tactical bombers only. It looks like the factories you have now represent martialling yards anyway.

Let me just say again....i want tanks to be practically crippling to produce. SOOOO much energy. Enough so that a medium tank will have the yard at around -120. This way we'll see more use of the light vehicles. (And in the few games i've played with y'all, they haven't been used at ALL. Maybe some of your games were different). There should be no tiger rush lol.

And now I got hit with the shuddering thought that this is how you were doing things anyway. :roll:
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

heroesdoexist07 wrote:And now I got hit with the shuddering thought that this is how you were doing things anyway. :roll:
Pretty much. :P

Things are somewhat unbalanced by Spring, metal in particular.

We think pretty much everything needs to be reworked anyway - in the game with Felix my energy production was over 7000, and demand was pretty much the same when constructing, and in excess when moving forces but because of the storage I had built up (all too easy in A&A) it didn't really effect me by the end.

There were times however when moving my forces utterly crippled me and none of my units could fire! I had set my HQ to repeat on engineers and set them to move to my Tiger yard, i must have had about 75 of them and i just told them all to reclaim all the trees - a huge energy source which is easy to exploit in Spring.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

interesting, very interesting. but this brings e stalling into a whole new field of bad. does metal (read man power) still need energy (logistics), i suppose it would kind of make sense but tbh i think that a e stall is penalising enough atm
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

One thing that came to mind is that construction units should generate a very small amount of metal/energy - if your opponent destroys all of your flags in a raid and you run out of metal, it's impossible to rebuild a flag because it requires metal.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

metal is "command points", ie "how much interest your superiors have in your operations", isn't it?

Flags show your control over an objective or area

Return to “Game Releases”