how do we get "addr2line" onto a mac?

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

any ideas about the error-message for spring, when "addr2line" can't be found?

see http://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=2351

or maybe the program can be shipped with spring? how can the program be installed?
daftalx

Re: how do we get "addr2line" onto a mac?

Post by daftalx »

abma wrote:how can the program be installed?
you might want to try installing the GNU "binutils" package, which contains a number of useful tools including addr2line. This package has also been ported on Mac OS via MacPorts (one version per architecture basically, though

Code: Select all

port install binutils
will get you the default "native" install).

hope this helps.
daft
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

yes, thanks! i added it to the install-instructions. spring/master also should compile now...

one more question: how to distribute spring for mac? after what i read, creating a .app file would make sense? if so, how to create such a file?
daftalx

Post by daftalx »

abma wrote:yes, thanks! i added it to the install-instructions. spring/master also should compile now...
Cool. I'll update the port to automatically install binutils before spring itself. Once done I'll upgrade the wiki as well.
abma wrote:one more question: how to distribute spring for mac? after what i read, creating a .app file would make sense? if so, how to create such a file?
Until now, MacPorts has been the easiest way to distribute spring, mostly due to the great number of required libraries which are not available by default on Mac.

Obviously a .app is the way to go, we just have to make sure that all required libs can be bundled together to reduce the hassle. I've actually looked into this with MacPorts which can build .dmg archives. Will let you know my progress. In the meantime the MacPorts solution is definitely usable (and is apparently not harder than the Linux way).

[EDIT] Just noticed the buildbot is happy. VICTORY!
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

yeah!! :D
congrats guys, everyone who worked on it!

Return to “Mac OS X”