Decline in the number of players - Page 17

Decline in the number of players

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Re: Decline in the number of players

Post by bobthedinosaur »

So what other games are people playing?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

lifecraft maybe ? >_>
knorke

Post by knorke »

I looked up some gundam forums and err wtf?
(i also saw uhm more explicit things)

Anyway after cleaning myself up I searched for threads about gundam rts. Did not really find much despite there being threads about various gundam games, maybe RTS is just not the prefered genre? It seems action/rpg or role playing is prefered.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

what did u expect to see @ forums about manga related stuff xD
It seems action/rpg or role playing is prefered.
or such stuff is basicly for fans only (or to be more precise, for ppl who seen/enjoyed gundam/whatever). thats why i used to bother a bit about tekkaman or watched DBZ when i was a kid and still enjoy mugen 2. not everyone like DDDD tits and huge fake eyes (no wait..).
role playing is prefered
lol yaaaaaa
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Wombat

Post by Wombat »

again ? its 17 page ! (even if bibim proved long time ago there is no decline in the number of players)
smoth

Post by smoth »

knorke wrote:Now remember for every person who asks how to get something working there are 100 persons who dont bother.
Good point. Do you think this is the issue though?
Wombat wrote:
I continue to raise the real question where are these players going and why don't they stay around?
do u really expect to see 40y olds here ? gee, seriously stop the drama. ppl get old and got life/job.
Talking about people on the server.
Wombat wrote:and before u say that, and u would say it again for sure, forum got not much to do with it since majority of player base doesnt even visit forum.
Comment about people here is about how many people push me about this or that and so few actually help.
knorke wrote:Anyway after cleaning myself up I searched for threads about gundam rts. Did not really find much despite there being threads about various gundam games, maybe RTS is just not the preferred genre? It seems action/rpg or role playing is preferred.
well I would say that but (14,542) have downloaded it, (401) are "watching" it which means they are subscribed to the regular updates.

I have seen SCORES of people come and go in the gundam channel. Many of which are interested and when I speak to them they tell me they are but they never stay. So it strikes me as peculiar.
Wombat wrote:(even if bibim proved long time ago there is no decline in the number of players)
I didn't disagree it is more the question about why the sub-communities, gundam, s44, kp, evo, ct are not growing. Trying to understand where we are losing new players and why. because while the server is growing, say like gundam has not. So for gundam I am not seeing a growing player count. Some BA peeps are crying about player loss but that is because some of those "lost" players are playing ZK.

*edit* missed a part:
and I actively engage and offer the best support I can. Shouldn't this HELP I mean one of the key bitches I read on gamer forums is that the developers and companies do not support their players. I am always willing to help a gundam player get their game working.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

So for gundam I am not seeing a growing player count.
like i said, GundamRTS is enjoyable mainly for Gundam fans.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Wombat wrote:
untrue. Im not a gundam fan, yet enjoyed it. Its very polished, i loved to zoom in on one of those con-bunkers, and you could zoom in right into its hallway. If JW ever sees light of day, its gonna have these Details too.

One thing that spring lacked(until planetwars) is long term motivation. We are not casual (short-time-learn, fun to burn) and no skillless grinding (a thousand blind monkeys hitting on morpg-keys could make it to lvl99). Yeah, we found the hidden dimension in between.

Licho, could you post the before and after planetwars playerstats?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

TradeMark wrote:User was banned for this post.
smoth wrote:and it is fucking annoying because the community are such armchair arseholez.
it is fucking annoying to see you always crying here how much this community sucks :shock: why dont you just leave if its so shit to be here...?
He did, twice, for long periods of time.

I know that, for me, Gundam RTS doesn't hold me because of the amount of time it takes to get a game and the sort of game I'd have to settle for. My sweet spot in RTS is 2v2 to 4v4, and most of the time I have to settle for 1v1 or some sort of FFA when it comes to a smaller title on the engine, like Gundam or KP. I love Gundam RTS, I tested versions for years, used it as a springboard to investigate the various anime (Enjoyed 08th MS Team, 0083, and the first season of 00), and have referred a great many people to the game. It just doesn't have the minimal player mass when I'm online.

I stopped playing Zero-K after the first run with the new PlanetWars site because Licho changed the PW clan system to require I change my account name to join a clan. I watched and played a very large number of games, offered a lot of input, and helped sort out the map list for the later rounds. I greatly enjoyed it, and if either the marginal benefit for playing increases or the value and use of my time decreases I'll play it again.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Must have pushed the wrong button. User was banned for this post.
Neddie wrote:
TradeMark wrote:User was banned for this post.
smoth wrote:and it is fucking annoying because the community are such armchair arseholez.
it is fucking annoying to see you always crying here how much this community sucks :shock: why dont you just leave if its so shit to be here...?
He did, twice, for long periods of time.
lol what, i got banned again, when? why? haha... how come smoth doesnt get banned when he says we are all assholes? good job mod team!
Last edited by TradeMark on 12 Jun 2011, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Yesterday, there was a gundam game with two guys in it, i join, i wait, nothing happens. There is place for only one of us in this ghosttown, player. Draw!
smoth

Post by smoth »

TradeMark wrote:Must have pushed the wrong button. User was banned for this post.
lol what, i got banned again, when? why? haha... how come smoth doesnt get banned when he says we are all assholes? good job mod team!
smoth wrote:User was warned for this post.
"to be featured on gaming sites"

that is not going to make any difference. My point is I have done all the advertising bullshit you guys insisted. I have gotten the hits and downloads so it isn't advertising. That is my point and it is fucking annoying because the community are such armchair arseholez.

I continue to raise the real question where are these players going and why don't they stay around?
The infamous "asshole" post, note I received a proper warning for cursing.

Trademark's persistent policing of me is getting tiresome. He constantly stalks me and comes in threads merely to troll me. It's like his sole purpose in posting is not to contribute but to seek a personal vendetta. This is understanble given his proclivity to rage about when other do something he doesn't like(minecraft) even when it doesn't effect him, he goes out of his way to attack it. Well I don't think it is fair that I am also a "minecraft" level target for him. He doesn't like me that is fine, but because he doesn't like me he feels compelled to attack me at near every opportunity. He has no real reason for it, I do not interfere with his work, I do not effect him beyond when we are in the same threads. I am willing to coexist with him. He is not willing to coexist with me and goes to great length to attack me.

Some will say i am feeding his trolling with this response but I have to because I have too long had my reputation tarnished by the likes of him. People do not get a fair image of me due to people like this who fill threads up with their personal hatred and misguided sentiments. Many of these threads are deleted due to severity and the trolls like to say "Smoth whines a lot" because that is fun right? saying I always wine for no reason like some emo. Well honestly it eats a lot of my time and HAS driven me off successfully from the community. I only came back both times because I was willing to believe in the moderation staff, that the would stop all of this.

Well you should get a tougher skin smoth.
Maybe I should, and I should spend all day defending my character and playing PR battles on the forums instead of developing gundam. OH WAIT when I do that people don't notice anything I do and tools and things go forgotten (mapoptions code and harbor set comes to mind). I then had to come back and personally hunt mappers down to make them aware of the stuff. This is really fun and makes it where I am not deving gundam but doing the social tango in the community. I should not have to take time out of deving to come here and fight trolls. I should be able to post about what I am doing and then go back to work.
Did you know that even water given enough time can erode stone?

Why does that have anything to do with the flaming and trolling?
Simply put a new person comes here and wants to develop something, reads all this bullshit and is hesitant to interact with me and I am here to be a resource as well for other beginners. It puts a bad taste in their mouth. they don't want to approach me as I am such an unattractive option.
It kinda looks like this

Also smoth never gets banned!?!?!
yeah that is a load of horse manure. I have been banned 1 time for meeting the allotted warning level. I have done it exactly 1 time. I had a post detailing the whys of it all but that post is no longer in the forum history. Either way, if someone gets banned odds are you don't know because he/she just disappears. I leave this forum on a regular basis for 1week sometimes months because I cannot stand all this petty bullshit. So most of you don't know when I have banned or not.
Because we all watch the penalty box and remember every time a person goes there right?
Wombat wrote:
smoth Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:03 pm wrote:Honestly I have seen scores of people come and go. One day, they are stoked, the next still playing a week layer disappear without a word. The only complaint I hear are baw no games to play and equally strange is the fear of playing just 1v1. They are genuiniely afraid of it. It's as if they think losing a first time 1v1 = violent castration irl.
^these people I am describing ARE fans. they tell me how they have been looking for years for something like gundam RTS and they play, love it and DISAPPEAR.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

^these people I am describing ARE fans. they tell me how they have been looking for years for something like gundam RTS and they play, love it and DISAPPEAR.
well then definetly something is wrong with gundam. they insta love it coz its gundam rts and models are nice, but when they sit in front of pc playing it for few days longer they realise that gundamrts got nothing interesting to offer when it comes to gameplay sorz (also they might be still disapointed a bit that their fav gundam character is regular spam units - i would be).

but i dunno.
smoth

Post by smoth »

not what I have seen in their response to it. I don't see a drop in the watchers, in fact some of them continue to post to moddb which further confuses me.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

doesnt differ much from what happens here. new game appears, ppl are like 'WOAHAWTFZOMGEPIC', sometimes even comment advances but when it comes to playing it... well, they simply dont do that (THIS, SD, LandingOperations for example)
smoth

Post by smoth »

that is very strange. I think supporting these new games could create new areas for players to linger in thus boosting the player base. If say s44, gundam and evo each had 200 players.. that could help boost spring to a near note worthy community.

I think that we have this little community is nice and all but my hope for spring is to come on some day and see a wide variety of people playing all kinds of stuff. Like back in the old gamespy days. That was cool as shit!
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Maybe we need something magic, something like BaldursGate was to the RPGs Genre, to revive it for the masspublic. Maybe its Maybeline.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

makeplugin for" springgame://" protocol in browsers, so you can just clicklink and plugin installs evyerthign you do not yet have for playlike all engine nad lobby and game and some random maps and googlbrowserextinction plus some popups adds!!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

smoth wrote: If say s44, gundam and evo each had 200 players.. that could help boost spring to a near note worthy community.
Working on it... This Desura release has been one pothole after another (with quite a few of the obstacles being spring itself, but we've managed to finangle a way to do it all that doesn't require an engine change).

The nice thing is, once I have succeeded, there is nothing stopping anyone else from following in our footsteps and doing the same thing (in an instant, instead of over a period of 2 months+ of bugfixing, testing, etc).
hoijui wrote:makeplugin for" springgame://" protocol in browsers, so you can just clicklink and plugin installs evyerthign...
That is something that Desura offers. User clicks link, if they have desura installed it gets auto installed, if no desura, they are prompted to install it and evo. Pretty slick setup really.

But... we'll see if it all works *shrug*

Return to “General Discussion”