BA model replacements - Page 44

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Manmax

Re: BA model replacements

Post by Manmax »

Scifi, you're right about Bob not wasting time fine- scaling units and designing them instead, bc it's making the best use of his limited time.

@bob: if your inspiration does not come for ships, try designing another class, arm tanks for instance, since you said you had already thought of a wholly new visual concept for arm.. ;)
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

I wouldn't like to be an arsehole and a party pooper, but to be honest, I argue that units (aswell as buildings, which I mentioned before) rely too much on team coloring.

While models themselves are top quality, the lack of texture variation leaves the overall look bland and blurry.

But I guess it's too late to whine about this.

And instigator has too big gun barrel. It should have a laser cannon

Sorry again.

But to be fully honest, they yet look gorgeus despite the downsides.
Masure

Post by Masure »

SirArtturi wrote:I wouldn't like to be an arsehole and a party pooper, but to be honest, I argue that units (aswell as buildings, which I mentioned before) rely too much on team coloring.

While models themselves are top quality, the lack of texture variation leaves the overall look bland and blurry.

And instigator has too big gun barrel. It should have a laser cannon

Sorry again.

But to be fully honest, they yet look gorgeus despite the downsides.
I didn't say about it to avoid being whining too.

Textures should have less team color and more space for metal.
Manmax

Post by Manmax »

I did not quite realized that the red color was team the team color... Indeed if all the red was blue, it would look too much... Colored.. the red fits well though.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

The idea behind the team color is to create subconscious shape recognition from distances. (We do have quite a few units after all.) The contrast between the base layer and tc provides sed shape. The shape itself comes from the tc, and the metal acts as an outline for that shape creation.

Thus, the ratio of TC to Metal gets larger the smaller the units get.

The units in the screeny represent the smallest of the unit tree, this the ratio is something like 60/40. For bigger units such as the reaper and goliath, it is closer to 30/70.

Now factor in the fact that the majority of matches have atleast 8 players. Color differentiation is crucial to keeping a clean base structure between team members. One of my largest problems with the OTA art is that it is incredibly messy. (Granted it is ofc 1997 made.)

So anyway, that was just my general idea for the direction. Honestly, it seems to be working quite well so far in all our testing. I think it should be fine.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I love the abundant team color, it means we don't have to use ugly and expensive immersion ruining team platter widgets.
Floris

Post by Floris »

Well you dont need the ugly teamplatter widget to see teamcoloring better, because there is this widget called 'xray shader'. It will colorify all units and make them a bit brighter aswell. Just saying... team coloring now is/can be still quitte good... but not out of the box.

Looking at the screenshot I can see the turrets are very very bright. And when looking from a distance the unit becomes one blob of red teamcolor with some darkgrey accents and on top of it it has a very bright stick (turret) on it.

But regardless..... they are amazing!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The only issue here is that some people might hate the colour red and as a result declare that these new units have fugly textures, totally oblivious tot he thought that they can change to green or yellow in the lobby.

What do they look like black/white/gray?
Manmax

Post by Manmax »

Again, isn't the issue of team color another less-than-major point that can be addressed later?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I wouldn't consider it an issue of problem, but rather an issue of curiosity.
Masure

Post by Masure »

Manmax wrote:Again, isn't the issue of team color another less-than-major point that can be addressed later?
I think it could be major if finaly bob & pyra missed that team color is over used on the texture and decide to make them again. It would be wasted work.
caldera

Post by caldera »

A picture (or six) tells more than thousand words:

I think, that even at far distance, mr bobs models are way better to recognize.
Masure

Post by Masure »

High recognize factor is not the only goal to achieve when you design a game unit. Eye candyness has to be considered too.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Masure: It wont be redone, but if you feel its not good enough, feel free to checkout the svn and make them better. Eye candyness is billions better than it was, this comment proves you have not seen the units in game. High recognize factor is not the only goal, but I'm sure you know better.

Floris: xray shader looks like crap on non ota units, it breaks lighting, breaks texture shading and manages to look worse than team platters. Not a solution.
Masure

Post by Masure »

Beherith wrote:Masure: It wont be redone, but if you feel its not good enough, feel free to checkout the svn and make them better. Eye candyness is billions better than it was, this comment proves you have not seen the units in game. High recognize factor is not the only goal, but I'm sure you know better.
I perfectly know it won't. Thats why I used "would" and didn't initially want to communicate my feel about the team color excess.

However I love most of those remakes and congratulate Bob & co.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Also, note, that in caldera's picture, it seems to be somewhat flat lit. And, As I have said before, preshading is a relic of the past, thus using lighting is essential to the quality of the models.

Shaders and shadows really must be turned on.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

What it really looks like (with all the bells and whistles)

scifi

Post by scifi »

keep the style, it looks good, i know it could be better, but it looks way better than the TA models, so keep finishing the models, with the same texture style.

This always hapens when your making something, then realise, Oh i could have gone this way or that way, forget about that, just focus and keep working its great already so :wink:

I cant wait for some Tabula with those models :wink:
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Beherith wrote:Floris: xray shader looks like crap on non ota units, it breaks lighting, breaks texture shading and manages to look worse than team platters. Not a solution.
QFT
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

What it really looks like (with all the bells and whistles)
The Goliath and bulldog look so awesome.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”