Competetive Balanced Annihilation - Page 2

Competetive Balanced Annihilation

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Cheesecan

Re: Competetive Balanced Annihilation

Post by Cheesecan »

There's a newbie 1v1 host too.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

doesnt prevent vets joining there ?
knorke

Post by knorke »

I doubt making a "BA - 1v1 edition" mod would change anything, it would just be another spinoff and there have been tons of those.

Better would be to make a list of good 1v1 maps.
For some reason matches always end up on ccr, how about changing that first? Actually that is the reason why i prefer xta by far, people are more willing to play different maps.

Also 8v8 DSD will never be "competive" in any form, so why are DSD problems like
Nowaday commander is used as a bomb and for its metal instead of being a great leader in attacks or a base commander who can defend and help buildings.
even mentioned in this thread?
increasing geo efficiency is also good idea
imo yes and then put geovents on strategic locations.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

For some reason matches always end up on ccr, how about changing that first?
my n... boi!
Nowaday commander is used as a bomb and for its metal instead of being a great leader in attacks or a base commander who can defend and help buildings.
even mentioned in this thread?
not relevant in 1v1. and yes, mentioned gazzilion of times.
Regret

Post by Regret »

I think widgets are a major obstacle for a competitive scene.
Tim-the-maniac

Post by Tim-the-maniac »

/nohelperai ? Stops lua controlling units + other stuff. No problem there
Regret

Post by Regret »

Tim-the-maniac wrote:/nohelperai
Good luck with that.
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

Regret wrote:I think widgets are a major obstacle for a competitive scene.
I think widgets are a good development tool. A way of letting the community be creative and add something to the game - generally with the aim of increasing accessibility or ease of use for other players.

However, I agree a line should be drawn when a widget constitutes no more than "an exploit for the masses". I think BA either needs a panel of players and devs to approve/disapprove widgets for public use or work with the eventual goal of merging widgets which improve the game-play experience into updates (+excluding game-breaking ones if possible).
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

generally with the aim of increasing accessibility or ease of use for other players.
usually the aim is to let widget play instead of player. nad ye, they suxor.

ppl whine about the lack of good players and that spring got nobody who could match the old pros. fact is they didnt use widgets or even binds.

go figure.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Some things (ie autoskirmish, some bomber controll things) are imo totally gay.
But I see nothing wrong with cons-auto-guard-lab, ctrl-b, custom formations and similiar.
Or is the game so shallow that adding some hotkeys took all the skill out of it?
Before widgets there were groupAIs and if making those had been easier everybody would have used them as well.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i didnt mean these - chainsaw automaticly shooting trans with com, autodgun, even that poo that stops e stall when u press d.

ppl sux coz they have to do less and even pseudo pros got ~60 mouseclicks per minute what is sad.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Make whatever widgets are good for the game (custom formations, command insert, bomber control), make them into gadgets, then turn on /nohelp (widgets cannot issue orders) as default with modoption to turn it off. So people can still customise their UI looks but not do the stupid shit.

And when some ppl like to talk about how people used to play so much better, is there actually any base to it than your nostalgia based gut feel? There's a lot of players with potential to play great now (including the old guys) but they're stuck in a skill level that's easy to maintain even w/o playing but hard to get in better shape from it without a ton of practice in a short period I feel. Which nobody is doing.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

You can also just configure the mod to not load local widgets.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

is there actually any base to it than your nostalgia based gut feel?
lets start with fact that im not the one that whines all the time how spring players sux and there is no challenge or whatever.

secondly, lion ? he is barely playing ba but still kicking everyones asses (including 2 of recent tournaments)

also kinda shox, steven, rooster, beejayzed and few more
You can also just configure the mod to not load local widgets.
u forgot whos deving ba, wont happen.
Tim-the-maniac

Post by Tim-the-maniac »

Regret wrote:
Tim-the-maniac wrote:/nohelperai
Good luck with that.
Where are you failing?

New players dont have the handful of great players who used to play to practice against and improve. Who is best now Lion? Ask him how good some old players were ;) Btw no disrespect to Lion he was one of the best back in the day too :)
Lolsquad_Steven

Post by Lolsquad_Steven »

Get rid of widgets and all that other crap. I remember back in the day people were saying being a fast player was pointless and RTS should be all about strategy not how fast you were. All the high level games speed wasn't really that big a deal, everyone was fast enough for it not to matter that much. When noobs tried to play though speed was a big issue. I think a lot of shit players complained they only lost because they weren't fast enough. They didn't try and get faster they just complained it was a bad game mechanic.

Truth is though speed is a big part of the game, it's what makes real time strategy real time. Some of the widgets i saw in the game were ridicules, it took no skill to play alright. You use to see some awesome unit control and great plays in this game, now everything is bland.

You've turned taspring into diet taspring. No sugar, no life and no fun.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Hehe I used to think the radar script was OP..

Good thing about BA is you don't need to be korean to play it.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

I'm pretty sure Lion plays better now than he used to a few years ago. If you ask Flop for example, he'll say overall level of play is much better now than in the "golden days" when mostly everyone just tried out crazy strats randomly. Or wait he said that 2 years ago.

Well there's no definite answer, you can't pit todays 8D vs Andy at his best, or todays Lion vs Lion 3 years ago. You can go watch old replays though, and even if some are really nice and there was different trends then, there's equally good new games too.

And you don't need to be Korean to play any game, but of course if one player trains like a Korean and one slacks off like a westerner, Korean should win.:P

Is there really anyone arguing against /nohelp though, if you make best widgets to gadgets? Customformations for example does not make the game easier in any way, you've got the possibility to do more stuff because of it, instead of it doing something for you, which a bad widget does.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”