robocode

robocode

Here is where ideas can be collected for the skirmish AI in development

Moderators: hoijui, Moderators

greenail
Spring Developer

robocode

Post by greenail »

Anyone familiar with robocode, or robocodeNG? It would be interesting to see how their bots faired on a TA:Spring map, it also looks like the NG variant is trying to re-invent the wheel with a 2d engine. not sure how much change they would need to do to make it 3d compatable but it could make for some interesting unit AI. There seems to be a good active group of developers who like the idea of big battles.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Could you provide us with soem linsk for those who know nothing about this????
greenail
Spring Developer

Post by greenail »

you could have googled, but here is a link

http://robocode.sourceforge.net/
b1ind

Post by b1ind »

For a while, I was really into it. That was a long time ago though.
greenail
Spring Developer

Post by greenail »

I think it would make an interesting mod. you could have a whole mod where you could make group AI's battle each other, but instead of the current group AI you could make swarm AI's that do all the fighting and override the current spring AI fighting behavior. you could get rid of the commander or at least the DGUN, and make it so only the AI could attack each other. the closer you got to no human interaction the more fun. Perhaps some people more familiar with the code can chime in here but I think what you would need to modify would be:

1. providing a scan/radar method. The current LOS thing works, but it would be much more interesting if units only had a limited capacity to see, FOV or something.
2. be able to override pathing (does spring use A* pathing?).
3. Provide a report back to a master server who won, or if there was a crash/part.
4. write a tourney server.
5. This sort of applicaiton is where I think a stats engine would shine.
6. come up with a name? roboSpring?

Feedback welcome.
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

yeah me too , but in that time i didnt know crap about java.. lol
but its an interesting thign though
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

First off, adding code inside the groupAI to filter out data and create a virtual FOV could be done, the sending data to a server could be done already aswell, all you'd need would eb to implement the interfaces the robocode uses then port the java code over.

Thus far I think a robocode style system would be good for isolating sub-AI unit behaviours in spring and giving modders and the community more control over how their untis behave, aswella s beign a good move overrall engine wise.

Return to “AI”