widgets + gadgets =

widgets + gadgets =

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

widgets + gadgets =

doodads
14%
gidgets
2%
imps
9%
modgets
5%
piglets
7%
pluagins
1%
plugins
7%
scriptlets
9%
spridgets
3%
springlets
15%
sprockets
18%
wadgets
9%
xxdgets
1%

Total votes: 94

jK
Spring Developer

widgets + gadgets =

Post by jK »

Jazcash

Re: widgets + gadgets =

Post by Jazcash »

doodads, imps, piglets and sprokets. <3
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i don't think this should be decided by a poll. the important question is, should the name be functional (may not be the perfect word but i guess you know what i mean) like plugin or module, or funny.
to me it is clear that it should the first.
a poll where every forum user can participate would only may make sense if you already decided on the later. the important question should not be decided by a forum troll ... aeh i mean poll.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

A poll is fine, pick a name and stick with it. It's doesn't
have to be a great "functional" name like plugin, module, widget_gadget_combination, lua_code_that_does_synced
_unsynced_and_some_unsynced_in_user_space. Something
gitchy sticks in the head.

FWIW, I voted "sprockets":
1. Starts with SPR.
2. Has the word "Rockets" in it, built-in coolness.
3. Fits nicely with the widget / gadget theme.
4. It's uncommon enough that it can be easily searched for.
("plugin" and "module" are generic enough as to be useless in
many cases).

What color is your bikeshed?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

with plugin or module, you have a pretty good idea what it could be when hearing it the first time. with any of the others, you have no clue, except when reading on a dedicated page about it, or asking someone. that is a pretty important thing.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Problem with plugin and module however is that they generally are overloaded a lot (too much) already.

(Not so much in Spring, though still using plugin or module for this kind of thing prevents one from calling an AI or AI interface a plugin without confusion. While clearly those are also some kind of plugins/modules.)
Gota

Post by Gota »

imps!!! most awesome name ever.
Sprockets smokets or whatever is just annoying on the tongue.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

hoijui wrote:i don't think this should be decided by a poll. the important question is, should the name be functional (may not be the perfect word but i guess you know what i mean) like plugin or module, or funny.
a poll where every forum user can participate would only may make sense if you already decided on the later. the important question should not be decided by a forum troll ... aeh i mean poll.
Hence my suggestion of scriptlets. Mentally associable with Widgets and Gadgets thanks to the ~ets suffix, and also refers to the fact that this is a script object, and doesn't go for a joke.

Plugin is vague because other parts of the Spring engine may involve plugins - there are plugin-driven AIs, etc. Module is even more overridden already since many people assume "mod" is short for "Module" (traditionally, it's short for modification).
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

musings for fit...

-widgets and gadgets were "things" before spring engine. would be strange if 3rd option were something new.
-wi and ga are taken (for widget and gadget) and an "sp" sound is a bit peculiar because "spring" is taken but at the same time sprocket is a nice word
-word should end with "et" sound to relate to widget and gadget
-i like scriptlet (its a JS term, no?) but also its not the easiest thing to say... maybe change to "scriplet"
-gidget is a bad movie from the 1960s iirc
-piglets are small and full of energy and run around and are able to get into everything (if the babe movies are anything to go by) and is a good fit for the blended function of the new code element IMO ;)

/overthinking

(voting scriptlet and piglet)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

yeah... scriptlets is fine too i guess.
i don't see a problem with plugins or modules due to ambiguity.
it is hard to talk about plugins in spring world, and making it unclear whether you mean a Lua plugin or an AI plugin, because they do totally different things, are used in different ways, implemented by different people and put in place by different people. in the extreme case of this being unclear, because you are talking about the two a lot in a single text, you would have to call them Lua-/AI-plugins, instead of just plugins.
in short, it is not a problem in practice. so if the word fits well, not using it cause it also fits well to something else is a bad decision. if we have 10 different APIs, whichs implementations could all be called plugins, they should/could all be called plugins.
i now vote for scriptlets too.
Rafal99

Post by Rafal99 »

luaplugs?
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

hoijui wrote:i don't think this should be decided by a poll. the important question is, should the name be functional (may not be the perfect word but i guess you know what i mean) like plugin or module, or funny.
The thing is finding pleasant names for these things is extremely difficult. This discussion just showed that there is none obvious solution/name. And that even trepan used a banal one fortifies my decision to make this more public - I was quite near to just give them a similar banal name as trepan's.
And I already got enough to do with the real code, so I tend to out source these types of problems and just wait for other opinions. That doesn't mean you have to follow their mind, it's just that you get a more objective idea and see how it fits with your's. And gives me time to concentrate on the important thing: the code.

PS: I neither share the problems with plugin. There won't be any plugins in Spring w/o lua anymore in the future. Also LuaPlugins would even look nice. But I get more and more familiar with the plurality options.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Hmmm I missed an option AddOns that's how WoW calls them.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

So we're voting for a name for the group that includes widgets and gadgets, not some strange amalgamation of the two, right?

Code: Select all

{widgets, gadgets}
not

Code: Select all

widgets..gadgets
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

yup

PS: still the name could be occur in rev2 widgets/gadgets.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

In that case, I propose "-dgets" (written as "dget" in the code).
...or just "luascripts" (that might get confused with the Lua anim scripts, though).

If this is just a blanket term for widgets, gadgets, and Gaia, I don't see why we need fancy new terms like sprocket.

...But I still voted for sprocket. XD

Return to “Engine”