Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 389

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Wolf-In-Exile

Re: Random WIP

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Cheesecan wrote: I started modeling 8 years ago with 3dsmax. I've since then learned many programs including Wings3D. You're telling me I should think inside the box like you. Inviting me to a soviet union of the hive mind where it uses the same tool and it doesn't stick out. Categorizing and labeling things for condemnation. No thanks.
Maybe you have better work, but sorry to say for the 8 years of modelling experience you claim to have, I don't see it in the screenshots you posted here.

Google sketchup is a fun and accessible 3D modelling program, but it has its own limitations and has various problems if you want to make game models with it.

It is simply more efficient to use more general modelling programs like wings3D, blender or 3d max for low poly game models, particularly due to Sketchup's lack of 'proper' UV unwrapping functionality.

Perhaps support for game modelling using Sketchup will become more widely supported by both Google and game development companies, but for now the tried and true tools are better overall.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Yeah, sketchup was designed with making 3D design highly accessible through an extremely simple interface. For sketch design in architecture, it is excellent, especially for people who don't have a lot of digital training. Using it for constructing computer game geometry is like using lego to build a house.

I wuz feeling left out, so here's a building I'm working on:

MElvinVM

Post by MElvinVM »

I am doing fine in spring using sketchup.

I just model in sketchup, then remove bad edges in wings 3d, it gives me the same results as in 3dsmax.

It is however, not very handy to use for starter modelers, its a good modelling program for games only if you know how game models are constructed.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

imo best sketchup is ancient pencil. as long as some of the projects look impressive, program is rather odd :'
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:I wuz feeling left out, so here's a building I'm working on:

Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

The reference had been made :P

Resistance is futile, your humour will be assimilated
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Wolf-In-Exile wrote:
Cheesecan wrote: I started modeling 8 years ago with 3dsmax. I've since then learned many programs including Wings3D. You're telling me I should think inside the box like you. Inviting me to a soviet union of the hive mind where it uses the same tool and it doesn't stick out. Categorizing and labeling things for condemnation. No thanks.
Maybe you have better work, but sorry to say for the 8 years of modelling experience you claim to have, I don't see it in the screenshots you posted here.
I can do better models, those were done at 3 AM during a night shift at work in maybe 10 minutes just messing around. In those eight years I also taught myself web design, programming, making music, writing and many other things.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

o.O
Attachments
render2.jpg
(589.65 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i totally prefer the previous version. but u know i got issues with specular/ssmf >>

wow broke your post trying to quote
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Needs transitions between ramp and flat.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

wombat my image contains none of that so you're safe

bruce you mean curved ramps? nah realistically ive already put way too much work into something that will be rarely played; need to get back to work on other things
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

No just a texture transition to make them look joined. Rather than the sharp line that looks like two seperate textured faces are intersecting.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

KaiserJ wrote:wombat my image contains none of that so you're safe
bs, then why its covered in shiny gold now ? D:

previous version!
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

oh, i see what you mean wombat. i added more saturation to the texture because many complained about frozen fortress being too washed out.... request denied XD it'll be closer to that first pic i showed you once it's ingame with engine shadowing and ssmf.

bruce i might do that then; i thought you were asking me for snowboard halfpipes or something :D
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

More pics kaiserj. I love what I see and I want more love...
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Can I have WIPs mr.crabs? Can I have WIPs mr.crabs? Can I have WIPs mr.crabs? Can I have WIPs mr.crabs? Can I have WIPs mr.crabs?

Here you go - headcrabs...
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

I love your choice of color, Picasso. It really makes the game look alive.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

might be a while ;) rendering the map texture now; its taken about 2 1/2 hours for 1/14th the total area... i do have a clever way of including features for once (you know how im reluctant to include them in my maps) so we'll have to see how that goes too.

looking good picasso
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

thx midknight,

i tried to avoid the "Everything must be darkish grey-brown" realism that is the german dev-equiv to american patriotism. Both sides try to archieve quality and avoid the clichee, and then its smuggles itself in through the backdoor.

Great Game, but these colours, fitting by the way for this game- but these schemes are pestilence of vidya games today. Seems that if you cant tell a decent story and create complex characters, its enough to tell the grafixdepartment to make it gritty and realistic- and then everything will be fine.

Thx KaiserJ... rememer the rendertimes of my own mapping..took me hours...why not using features?
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

why no features? because i fear them, and feel like their inclusion might threaten my already shaky (possibly over-rich) resource distributions in previous maps :D

look at it as an extreme unfounded prejudice XD

also it bugs me in many games (in general, not spring) when there's stuff like buildings that you can't climb up onto... figuring ways to add "features" as a playable part of the game map is generally the approach i take... like in counterstrike, when you manage to climb onto a box, and can see another ledge to get to, but the air blocks you... as a proud ct-camping-on-the-glitchy-roof-above-the-doubledoors-leading-to-bombsite-B-in-de_aztec-with-nubcannon-after-stacking-on-the-crates i can fully appreciate the need to include as many options as possible for a player to move his units in the terrain in order to maximize the payoff for creative strategy ;)

Return to “Art & Modelling”