Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 388

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Random WIP

Post by PicassoCT »

you doing counterstrike spring noaw?
knorke

Post by knorke »

i think kaiser does.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

knorke!
try this:
http://www.babel3d.com/
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

neat model bob; i like what hoi did with the contrast, im sure it'll all come together in a similar way if you add specular and normals to the existing texture
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

bobthedinosaur wrote:knorke!
try this:
http://www.babel3d.com/
Typical:

Just dropping must have links without any great fuss.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

knorke wrote:Is there really no way to export to a usefull format with the free version?
exports from sketchup are rather sketchy... I'd use a real modeling app instead
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

rattle wrote:exports from sketchup are rather sketchy...
Pun intended?

Use export options to set double-sided faces, triangulate polygons, etc, that usually fixes the problems.
smoth

Post by smoth »

doublesided faces needlessly creates extra geometry.
MElvinVM

Post by MElvinVM »

Need to work better on textures... :oops:
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

rattle wrote:
knorke wrote:Is there really no way to export to a usefull format with the free version?
exports from sketchup are rather sketchy... I'd use a real modeling app instead
He is right. I'm very experienced SketchUp user, used it for years! Please do not use the models made in SketchUp. It's easier to just make the sketches there and then do it with better suited tool such as Wings 3D.
MElvinVM

Post by MElvinVM »

You can make basic shapes in sketchup, detail and work them out in wings3D
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

My second model exports as 298 faces to 3ds. Loads looking the same in Wings3D. It has wheels inside the track that each use 28 faces, that's 224 faces for all eight wheels. Those could be made into hexagons and still look pretty much the same from a distance. That should result in around 122 faces. I'm not saying you can't get less with Wings3D but Sketchup isn't as bad as you make it out to be.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Cheesecan wrote:My second model exports as 298 faces to 3ds. Loads looking the same in Wings3D. It has wheels inside the track that each use 28 faces, that's 224 faces for all eight wheels. Those could be made into hexagons and still look pretty much the same from a distance. That should result in around 122 faces. I'm not saying you can't get less with Wings3D but Sketchup isn't as bad as you make it out to be.
Sketchup is to sketch. You just started with modeling, please don't make the mistake of learning sketchup. Try to only use wings, it's a little bit harder first but after a few models it's going to be a lot easier and better.
MElvinVM

Post by MElvinVM »

Sketchup is to sketch. You just started with modeling, please don't make the mistake of learning sketchup. Try to only use wings, it's a little bit harder first but after a few models it's going to be a lot easier and better.

The thing with sketchup is, you need to pre-set it for game design.

If set and learned right, it can be superior to 3dsmax due to its speed.

Sketchup modelling + Wings3D texturing is what i use, and i do not find my models bad at all, its just my textures because i use photoshop which i dont really know about.

A friend of mine has created a successful, poly friendly game mod with sketchup models only.

Its not only meant for sketching, but it has too much freedom in poly and camera movement, however if you construct polies yourself, your models will be just as good as any other 3D program.

Blender is a good alternative though.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

3d to the max if you want splinemodelling. Everything else is just cubism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKjYJ6Xk ... re=related

Anything moar advanced? Well, you can still learn max later, after all, most of the pros use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APi3JwBYbww
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Hoi wrote:
Cheesecan wrote:My second model exports as 298 faces to 3ds. Loads looking the same in Wings3D. It has wheels inside the track that each use 28 faces, that's 224 faces for all eight wheels. Those could be made into hexagons and still look pretty much the same from a distance. That should result in around 122 faces. I'm not saying you can't get less with Wings3D but Sketchup isn't as bad as you make it out to be.
I started modeling 8 years ago with 3dsmax. I've since then learned many programs including Wings3D. You're telling me I should think inside the box like you. Inviting me to a soviet union of the hive mind where it uses the same tool and it doesn't stick out. Categorizing and labeling things for condemnation. No thanks.
smoth

Post by smoth »

When I started using wings the TA guys made fun of me for not using rhino.

the app doesn't matter they are all hammers in the end
MElvinVM

Post by MElvinVM »

the app doesn't matter they are all hammers in the end
Very true.

It's skills and creativity that make the right production of models, not the program.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

But when not to blaming My Content- Hamer who else do i got to blame? Should we blame the goverment? Blame Society? Or simply blame the violence on TV? NOOOOO.
(Sorry Sinbad)

Blame Canada, blame Canada...
Last edited by PicassoCT on 24 May 2011, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

ROFL

Return to “Art & Modelling”