Star Wars space mod? - Page 4

Star Wars space mod?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

I would suggest making all lasers very slighlty guided missiles, otherwise hundreds of lasr shots might be requried to kill one fighter. Same with turbolasers, but dont give them any guidance at all. That way, shields can properly bounce stuff.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Star Wars lasers aren't lasers. Otherwise you wouldn't see them on account of them moving at the speed of light... and certainly not as bolts of green stuff. ;)

And the blasters being plasma held together by magnetic etc etc.. is a theory made up by someone who has too much time on their hands. I dont know anything about plasma but in any case...

These are all slightly-guiding missiles. However IMO I have them pretty good. Sometimes a fighter can kill another fighter in a couple seconds but if they're dogfighting and pulling some heavy maneuvers.. sheesh! Turbolasers are the same but are slower. Anyway I've almost grown tired of this and its complexities.. :\
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Well, one theory I've heard is that the "lasers" (not the blasters) do actually travel at the speed of light, the glow is just a residual after effect or something like that. I never really bought that one though (plasma controlled by magnetism is believable though, look at our sun!)

About the lasers, play with their intensity levels. I had/have that problem in SWTA too, most notably with the green lasers. I ended up taking the custom intensity values out just before release just to lessen the effect as much as possible. That's the only advice I really have to offer there. I just know that the color number has to be higher as you raise the intensity; I didn't do enough testing to figure out by how much.

The fixed laser zip PM wasn't a good enough accuracy fix for you? I personally think they might be TOO accurate now... making them guided would probably just make them too effective IMO.

And yes, Star Wars has shields, lots of them; it's just that there's not always a noticable visual effect cast by them. Most (if not all) rebel spacecraft had shields and hyperdrives, that's one reason they could take hits from TIEs but not vice versa. TIEs were cheap, efficient, mass produced, non-shielded fighters without hyperdrives for maximum firepower, speed, and maneuverability. They were actually very good fighters, it's just that any time you saw them in action in the movies they were against the heroes :P (yay stormtrooper effect!)

Oh, and about the repulsors: I was just going by the example set by some previous games I'd played in the past. Upon doing some quick research, I suppose you're right (they look to be sensors), but I'm not sure it matters. Spring seems to eminate the repulsors from the center of the unit anyway (unless my memory's shaky there). I only put them there to play with the tags when they were new anyway, I never intended for them to stay in place :P
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Actually, I basically just ripped a generic laser weapon from TAFF (also knicked a generic fighter script :D). They work beautifully. They kill quickly, but not TOO quickly. Like I said if a TIE is banking or turning heavily its very hard to hit but put an X-Wing behind a straight-flying TIE and its gone in a second or two...

Only problem is now, the Star Destroyer is so big, and all weapons fired at it will go for its center... which may be okay for smaller units but for something that big its annoying. And often fighters will dive in to attack it, and then get "stuck" on it and kinda float there nose-up firing at it point blank. And other large ships will do the same, except worse because then there's two ships half in each other.

I WANT 3D COLLISION MESHING! NOW!
Isaactoo

Post by Isaactoo »

Could the primary weapon be longer ranged and be set for attacking larger ships (that way they wouldn't try to get so close to the center), and then the other weapons of lower priority would be for regular enemies (like fighters). TAFF for Spring did some stuff similar I think for the Broadside...big guns and then a few tiny flackers on either side for blasting the fighters....Or was that only possible because most of the ships in FF are gunships?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Plasma weapons arent feasible, the only reason the sun is an example si because of the sheer pressure on those palsmas exerted by the suns gravirty.

To fire the equivilant of 1MT of plasma projectile in a coherent ball you need a magnetic field capable of generating an internal inwards pressure of several gigapascals, which would requir it be contained in soem sort of projectile maybe a missile? And if a missile could generate that sort of field without beign destroyed in the process then an enemy ship could esily deflect plasma weapons with ease using similair technology but at a fraction of the resource expenditure makign plasma eapons unfeasible.

Directed energy weapons in starwars are likely to be particle cannons firing projectiles such as neutrons, or highly energetic hydrogen atoms, or protons at high velocity.

And I've always thought they where ion cannons anyways not plasma weapons? Something I saw ages and ages ago about the deathstar defences using ion cannons......

Also 3D collision meshes should make explosions actually occur on the surface fo the model but they'll still fire at the centre as far as I'm aware, I think you'd ahve to do soemthign with the script to move the bti enemies fire at alogn the length fo the ship.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Yeah, just have the sweetspot move around all the time (a bit like what they did with the SWTA infantry)
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

"Ion cannons" in Star Wars terms are weapons that mess with the electronics of starships and such. They are different from Turbolasers.
Isaactoo

Post by Isaactoo »

Guessmyname wrote:Yeah, just have the sweetspot move around all the time (a bit like what they did with the SWTA infantry)
Wouldn't this make the ships have a really hard time aiming and never fire because they would never be aimed at the sweetspot?

In FF the big ships never got too close to the other big ships because they were using special long range weapons, so they strafed at the maximum range of that weapon, and used other weapons to fight smaller craft. In SWIS the weapons wouldn't have to look different, but they could be specialized that way so that big ships wouldn't be trying to get so close to one another.
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

Plasma is just excited gas... with to much energy in it... thus an "ion" cannon would be essentially firing plasma..
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

plasma is not just an excited gas, ti is where the gas is so excited the electrons are stripped form the atoms themselves.

Ions are just atoms that have a negative or positive charge, they can be agsses, liquids solids, they dont have to be heated to supertemperatures like plasma.

Plasma can have the gas laws applied to it though but it is not the same as a gas.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Well I just played a game, and I liked it, but can I make a suggestion for the balance? Infantry are WAY too slow. Make them like 30% faster, and I suppose to make transports useful make them 30% faster too. Perhaps infantry are meant to be slow, but they are so slow they make the game boring! Apart from that, great mod!

Also, maybe just replaces the Solar Collector with a Wind Generator. Easier for noobs (like me) then. Plus wind actually exists, pushing projectiles, so it's not just a resource variable.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

solar power is solid and doesn't change
wind is...complicated as a energy source; not all maps have wind, wind varies with maps, wind is not constant, windgens are weak BUT cheap. in SWTA u shouldn't need a choice, solars are good, coz the main strategy should be on the units and above all the MICRO! :twisted:
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Wtf are you talking about?
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

read the above post :roll:
saying that solars are more noob friendly than windgens
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

I can see that. What I meant was, why the fuck is someone talking about TA solars and windgens in a fuckin Star Wars Space Mod thread?
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

have u played this mod?
have u noticed that the energy source is more like solars (doesn't fluctuate or depend on map) than windgens?
i think that 'solar style' energy is the only way to go in a mod like this.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

No idea why you're commenting on SWTA here, Doom... anyway

Minemat, have YOU played SWTA? The solars DO act like OTA windgens in SWTA. They have a floor value though, so they always produce some energy even on windless maps. Level 1 fusion gens are the equivilent of OTA solars. The reason solars are this way in SWTA is to mimic the changing levels of light there would be, and wind is the only way to do that currently. Wind generators are never seen (at least not in the scale we'd need) in any star wars sources. I agree that it's probably somewhat confusing for someone who just came from OTA style gameplay, but it's not a huge deal. They figured it out in OTA, they're smart enough to figure it out again. We're not shooting to make OTA-with-star-wars-units-instead.

Yes, infantry are slow. People are slow. That's how things are. That's why there are several transport options in SWTA if it bothers you that much, and we're actually going to be adding another (a level one Rebel personell transport aircraft) in the next version. Alternatively you could just play a map that isn't the size of Russia, such as Martian desert or Sparewood or Ashpen. Each of those maps have plenty of metal to get access to every branch of the tech tree, and yet are small enough for fast and furious action.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

"They have a floor value though, so they always produce some energy even on windless maps. "

Not in Spring, at least. Play comet catcher.

"Yes, infantry are slow. People are slow. That's how things are. That's why there are several transport options in SWTA if it bothers you that much, and we're actually going to be adding another (a level one Rebel personell transport aircraft) in the next version. Alternatively you could just play a map that isn't the size of Russia, such as Martian desert or Sparewood or Ashpen. Each of those maps have plenty of metal to get access to every branch of the tech tree, and yet are small enough for fast and furious action."

I'm just speaking from the point of view of someone who has first tried the TC. The speed that infantry walk, imo, really took away from the intensity of the early game. It wasn't that it took forever to get to the enemy - as you said, transports are there for a reason - but rather that the way the battles played themselves out because of the movement speed made them less exiting than the tank/walker battles that occured later.

I mean, one player could have thirty troops after a few minutes of gameplay, and attack with them only to have them cut down by a turbolaser and 5 men to delay the enemies enough. The insult wasn't that the attack failed, it was that the attack was dodged around enemy anti-infantry units, and they were still cut down with ease.

I suppose the purpose of my suggestion was that if an attack consisting of infantry is used properly, it has far more potential to be devastating. At the moment, it seems like infantry are there to force your opponent to build a little infantry themselves and some E-Webs, without really having the potential to win or do severe damage to the opponent. It was almost like the game really started when the players began building lvl2 units.

"No idea why you're commenting on SWTA here, Doom... anyway "
This is the SWTA thread, right! Or is this a different Star Wars mod?

Edit: Oh shit, this isn't the right thread :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

GGs

Return to “Game Development”