Almost beat the AI for the first time. Great game :)

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

northdakota2170

Post by northdakota2170 »

I just started playing BA a couple of days ago. It has a steep learning curve, but Im 8) hanging in there. I can manage my economy pretty well now. The upper tech levels give me trouble. I tried building a tech level 3 automatic laser turret (it looked like a huge Gatling gun) to bolster my defense, but that sadly was my downfall, as it sucked up all my energy, my remaining forces attempted to hold the bottleneck. And that they did for a good ten minutes. The mini-gun was complete and i was waiting for the enemy to behold annihilation! But sadly, i had just learned a painful new lesson: those big guns require a ton of energy :(. so it was all for nothing. The minigun fired like 3 shots before succumbing to the enemy fire. I probably could've wiped them out with my forces if i had just pressed on, but ive gotten much better regardless. I think this game is just epic lol. even when i lose ha. I apologize if I seem noobish, but remember: noobs are the lifeblood of any online game ;)
Jazcash

Re: Almost beat the AI for the first time. Great game :)

Post by Jazcash »

northdakota2170 wrote:noobs are the lifeblood of any online game ;)
Not when they've been playing for two years and still can't play anything but DSD.
northdakota2170

Jazcash wrote:
Not when they've been playing for two years and still can't play anything but DSD.
Call me a noob, but i haven't played an online game yet,so Im not familiar with your acronym of DSD? Whatever you speak of, why the negativity?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

northdakota2170 wrote:
Jazcash wrote:
Call me a noob, but i haven't played an online game yet,so Im not familiar with your acronym of DSD? Whatever you speak of, why the negativity?
Oh you'll soon know what I'm talking about young one, you'll soon know.
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

Good luck with your BA, sounds like you put up a good fight that time. Instead of making a Vulcan try Big Berthas instead in future, they are more cost efficient and should put less strain on your economy.

However, as you noted, commiting to an army will serve you better in almost every situation - cheaper, flexible and will get the job done quicker.
northdakota2170

jazcash wrote:Oh you'll soon know what I'm talking about young one, you'll soon know.
Lol Oh boy ha. Nah whatever it is it wont run me off. Ill still play. This is one of the best free RTS out there. Warzone 2100 is garbage. Starcraft is good but no where near as deep as BA. Supreme Commander is pretty much a ripoff of OTA. It just needs some tweaks, but since its open source, thats pretty easy isnt it?
Ares wrote:Good luck with your BA, sounds like you put up a good fight that time. Instead of making a Vulcan try Big Berthas instead in future, they are more cost efficient and should put less strain on your economy.

However, as you noted, commiting to an army will serve you better in almost every situation - cheaper, flexible and will get the job done quicker.
Thank you, and very true. I wish there was more of a way to show an items effect on your resources while its being built. Also the energy costs of certain weapons pershot should be shown as well. I didnt realize id need all that
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Image to operate an automatic vulcan. However, I am learning to program now, so one day i can contribute :). It was just the sheer range of the vulcan gun enticed me (I love long range weaponry and any type of artillery). Also whenever i become fluent enough in programming, id really like to make tutorial missions for each of the unit types, starting with infantry, then to tanks, etc. That way new players could get a feel for the tactics appropriate for that unit. Also they could have a chance to master those expensive tech Lvl 3 units and buildings without having to lose an entire game. Also I have heard of a mission editor, but I cannot seem to locate it anywhere :(
northdakota2170

jazcash wrote:Oh you'll soon know what I'm talking about young one, you'll soon know.
Lol Oh boy ha. Nah whatever it is it wont run me off. Ill still play. This is one of the best free RTS out there. Warzone 2100 is garbage. Starcraft is good but no where near as deep as BA. Supreme Commander is pretty much a ripoff of OTA. It just needs some tweaks, but since its open source, thats pretty easy isnt it?
Ares wrote:Good luck with your BA, sounds like you put up a good fight that time. Instead of making a Vulcan try Big Berthas instead in future, they are more cost efficient and should put less strain on your economy.

Thank you, and very true. I wish there was more of a way to show an items effect on your resources while its being built. Also the energy costs of certain weapons pershot should be shown as well. I didnt realize id need all that
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Image to operate an automatic vulcan. However, I am learning to program now, so one day i can contribute :). It was just the sheer range of the vulcan gun enticed me (I love long range weaponry and any type of artillery). Also whenever i become fluent enough in programming, id really like to make tutorial missions for each of the unit types, starting with infantry, then to tanks, etc. That way new players could get a feel for the tactics appropriate for that unit. Also they could have a chance to master those expensive tech Lvl 3 units and buildings without having to lose an entire game. Also I have heard of a mission editor, but I cannot seem to locate it anywhere :(
knorke

Post by knorke »

hi
mission editor is here:
http://code.google.com/p/zero-k/wiki/Mi ... rStartPage
it is from the makers of the zero K game but works for all games.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

northdakota2170 wrote:
Lol Oh boy ha. Nah whatever it is it wont run me off. Ill still play.
Have you ever had the kind of dream where you do the same thing over and over before? Y'know, where some simple scenario plays out, over and over again, in a loop with no end in sight?

Yeah. That's DSD. :wink:
It's actually not that bad!
northdakota2170 wrote:This is one of the best free RTS out there. Warzone 2100 is garbage. Starcraft is good but no where near as deep as BA. Supreme Commander is pretty much a ripoff of OTA. It just needs some tweaks, but since its open source, thats pretty easy isnt it?
It's always a beautiful moment when another person discovers real RTS gameplay (as opposed to the watered-down stuff most commercial RTS games offer today). :-)
However, I am learning to program now, so one day i can contribute :). It was just the sheer range of the vulcan gun enticed me (I love long range weaponry and any type of artillery). Also whenever i become fluent enough in programming, id really like to make tutorial missions for each of the unit types, starting with infantry, then to tanks, etc. That way new players could get a feel for the tactics appropriate for that unit. Also they could have a chance to master those expensive tech Lvl 3 units and buildings without having to lose an entire game. Also I have heard of a mission editor, but I cannot seem to locate it anywhere :(
If you're really interested in contributing and learning a few things along the way, a good idea would be to join a game development team! A lot of projects (like Zero-k, Evolution RTS, and S44) are tolerant and supportive toward less experienced members, and you can learn the ropes while producing some sweet content!

All you need is a decent knowledge of computers, a friendly attitude, and a metric ton of persistence! :mrgreen:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

[quote="MidKnight"]
It's actually not that bad! [/quote]

I HEAR YA
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

northdakota2170 wrote:I just started playing BA a couple of days ago. ...
I'm really pleased that somebody new actually starts with bots first.

I recommend to join some live games as a spectator. Pick some *good* player and look+learn what is he doing. It gives you a lot of knowledge about tactics.

However, bots are good for practicing unit commanding, etc.

HF
northdakota2170

Well I finally beat that bastard today by a landslide in about a 15-20 minute game :D. But yeah id definitely love to contribute. Im learning some visual basic right now just to get down programming theory and all that. once I have the basics down ill move on to something much more difficult such as C++, or C#. I got the mission editor. Id love to start making tutorial missions. If theres anywhere that I can find highly detailed info on BA's units that would be excellent. Its just hard because I dont know the best tactics for each unit yet. Im pretty good at base building I would say. So maybe ill create a tutorial mission on that soon. but id much rather create some good combat training missions. Any help is appreciated. As far as my skill in BA goes now, Im probably going to follow the advice given to me and spectate for a bit. Of course im going to continue to PWN the AI. The game before my recent victory was a good hours and fifteen minutes long, and i dont understand how I lost. I believe the terrain was part of it, because the map (tropical) is two islands seperated by shallow water. I had massive number of units, and I tried to take the beachhead, but somehow they beat me. Those units were also supported by two big berthas. I believe the AI may have out teched me too. But i had sheer numbers. Also before that game, I knew nothing of experimentals, or the factory of which to build them :(
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

If theres anywhere that I can find highly detailed info on BA's units that would be excellent
i just wanted to post link but latest info there is for ba 7.19 :' trade stop fail !

like i said many times before, reclaim metal and u are much better than majority of players.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Maybe just play for a while, online too, before you set into making missions - it should give you a lot of ideas into mission making too.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

northdakota2170 wrote:It was just the sheer range of the vulcan gun enticed me (I love long range weaponry and any type of artillery)
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

What womb said: just make enough reclaiming units and send 'em to continously reclaim the wrecks at the front.

Also have a balanced build power in your base to keep your factory busy all the time.

AND DON'T BUILD GUARDIANS/PUNISHERS! They are the most useless units like ever... They are only good in situations when you can decimate some large part of enemy's base or so.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Who needs Vulcans when you've got infinite range artillery?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Ur doin courage wolf rong
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i would not recommend you to make tutorial missions as long as you are not a decent online player. what you would teach people now would possibly be useful for those that only want to play against AI, but for the rest it would be rather contra-productive.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”