creating a .sd7 file

creating a .sd7 file

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

[Crusader]

creating a .sd7 file

Post by [Crusader] »

This may be a really stupid question, but how can i create a sd7 file??? and how can i open an existing sd7 file??

The wiki doesnt say a word about it. Or im too stupid :D

also tried to unzip it using winrar 3.0, but didnt work

upd: ok got it. How should i know about 7-zip??? :roll:
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

Use a program called 7Zip and save the output file with a .sd7 extension at the end of the name "filename.sd7"

:!:
http://www.7-zip.org/
mystiq

Post by mystiq »

Yea, the files are just 7z files renamaed to sd7. To open existing sd7 file, just rename it to 7z and unzip.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Winrar can handle 7z files.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

damn bruce change that evil avatar of yours !
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

IZARC ftw
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Das Bruce wrote:Winrar can handle 7z files.
Winrar can uncomrpess 7z and many other formats, but it can only compress in RAR and ZIP formats.
Isaactoo

Post by Isaactoo »

mystiq wrote:Yea, the files are just 7z files renamaed to sd7. To open existing sd7 file, just rename it to 7z and unzip.
It's a little easier if you open it and then tell it to always open with 7-zip, that way you don't have to rename files all the time :wink:
[Crusader]

Post by [Crusader] »

my winrar couldnt open it. But i have 7-Zip now and everything works fine :)

thx to all :)
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

Masse wrote:damn bruce change that evil avatar of yours !
Bruce's avatar is hella funny, totally awesome, I crack up in laughter when I look at it.
Pxtl

hmm

Post by Pxtl »

MR.D

Post by MR.D »

When using 7zip to pack your map files, make sure that there is a base folder named "maps" then put your map files within this folder.

To save it as .sd7 instead of using the default .7zip extension, rename the filename so that it has .sd7.

And you should be good to go, drop it in your Spring/maps folder and viola, new map :D.
dannajackson61

Re: creating a .sd7 file

Post by dannajackson61 »

Nah, Crusader it wasn't a stupid question. I did want to know that. Many thanks! guys. Just curious, how to rename bulk compressed files, am not so sure about this [LINK REMOVED BECAUSE THIS IS A BOT/AD], is any built in utility option there? don't want to use as a separate function. Thoughts??

Edited by SinbadEV
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

dannajackson61 wrote:Nah, Crusader it wasn't a stupid question. I did want to know that. Many thanks! guys. Just curious, how to rename bulk compressed files, am not so sure about this [removed link], is any built in utility option there? don't want to use as a separate function. Thoughts??
While I'm suspicious that you might be a bot or corporate shill I'll address your question.

7z offers decent system integration and you would never need to "bulk rename" anything as you can always just right-click the archive and view it's contents from the 7zip menu.

For people developing their own maps they can use the "spring data directory" option and not even have to deal with 7z until they are ready to publish.

just create a directory called "MapArchiveName.SDD" in the folder you keep your maps in. So you'd somethind like:
/maps/MyTestMap.SDD/MyTestMap.smf
/maps/MyTestMap.SDD/MyTestMap.smt
/maps/MyTestMap.SDD/MyTestMap.smd
knorke

Post by knorke »

do you also respond to "enlarge your bulk" spam if the email is personanlized?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

knorke wrote:do you also respond to "enlarge your bulk" spam if the email is personanlized?
I used to. I would correct the spelling and grammar errors and improve the copy for them... I treated it as good practice for a career in copy writing or technical writing... and I was a very lonely person.

I never even got automated responses to my helpful suggestions so I stopped.

In this particular case, the spam-bot reminded me of some useful information that could be shared with the original poster... I had totally failed to realize it was an epic rez and unlikely to be useful to the OP at this time... now I just think it's funny and want to leave it intact so people can be entertained.
dannajackson61

Post by dannajackson61 »

dannajackson61 wrote:Nah, Crusader it wasn't a stupid question. I did want to know that. Many thanks! guys. Just curious, how to rename bulk compressed files, am not so sure about this [LINK REMOVED BECAUSE THIS IS A BOT/AD], is any built in utility option there? don't want to use as a separate function. Thoughts??

Edited by SinbadEV
Oh really! i didn't know that. You treat every link as bot add. interesting! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I am afraid, you give same treatment to your mum n dad words, aren't you??
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

dannajackson61 wrote:
dannajackson61 wrote:Nah, Crusader it wasn't a stupid question. I did want to know that. Many thanks! guys. Just curious, how to rename bulk compressed files, am not so sure about this [LINK REMOVED BECAUSE THIS IS A BOT/AD], is any built in utility option there? don't want to use as a separate function. Thoughts??

Edited by SinbadEV
Oh really! i didn't know that. You treat every link as bot add. interesting! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I am afraid, you give same treatment to your mum n dad words, aren't you??
These bots are getting really smart.

No dannajackson61, I do not treat every link as a bot ad... but when it is the first thing a user posts, and they do so in a rez thread, and the "content" of the post contributes nothing to the discussion at hand and another user reports the post as commercial spam... I really have no choice... if you were just a little more careful I probably wouldn't have caught you.
dannajackson61

Post by dannajackson61 »

SinbadEV wrote:
dannajackson61 wrote:

Edited by SinbadEV

No dannajackson61, I do not treat every link as a bot ad... but when it is the first thing a user posts, and they do so in a rez thread, and the "content" of the post contributes nothing to the discussion at hand and another user reports the post as commercial spam... I really have no choice... if you were just a little more careful I probably wouldn't have caught you.
copy that!
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

dannajackson61 wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:

copy that!
Sorry about this, I've just never seen an ad bot behave this intelligently before and wonder how long you will keep acting like you know what I'm talking about.

Here is a link that might be relevant to your interests http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room

Return to “Map Creation”