BA model replacements - Page 39

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

smoth

Re: BA model replacements

Post by smoth »

wrecks are features. Features cannot have scripts.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Wrecks:

We are counting on You, the community, to be the masters of destruction. I'm sure Mr Bobs talent would be wasted on making all of the wrecks. I cant make all the wrecks myself, but once Pyra or someone in Bobs team (or even You) make a wreck texture, the destruction can begin!
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Some months ago in this thread
Johannes wrote:What's your plan on doing wrecks btw?
Mr. Bob wrote:Run a warp on the model and apply a big black nasty burnt metal texture.
pyra

Post by pyra »

oh geez, umm i've been afk and didnt make the wreck texture. got a new computer and parents are out of the house so i got a little carried away with gaming. expect a wreck texture by the end of the day or so.
crazy dave

Post by crazy dave »

I hope you guys can pimp up the T3 good coz most of it looks very stupid specially the juggernaut and the very small low off the ground core mech. They just look cheap, stupid and ugly plz fix this make T3 look powerful not larger looking models of T2 as thats what they look like ATM.

p.s The Krog has to be bad ass :D
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Thanks Pyra, looking forward to it!
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

There are more done than just this, but I'm too lazy to update the render till they are all done. So here are a few.

Wolverine
Instigator
Garpike
Slasher
Leveler
Raider

Two things to note:

Firstly, notice how the wheels are basically covered. This way you won't notice that they don't actually move on walk. The only way to really see the treads is to get up close on stand. Which should be fine.

Second, the T1 vehicles are supposed to be as boxy as possible. Trust me it will look great when T2 is not boxy at all. Just going to have to trust me on this one.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Awesome!
PRO_[JAZZ]

Post by PRO_[JAZZ] »

Gotta say I like the new models very much...

From what I was reading earlier in the thread, wasn't the idea to get a BA pack with all the new buildings released, whilst you were working on the units? Sorry if not, I'd just like to play with new models sooner! :-)

Also, a little off topic I know, but people have been talking allot about improving the FX for things like weapons- can I make a request that whoever looks at this doesn't rely to heavily on LUA trickery, as I run exclusively on the MT version of spring. I can't play Zero K at all using MT, it would be a real shame to block the MT version for BA as its so much faster (and once you've turned off the updated UI etc very stable!).
liamdawe

Post by liamdawe »

Looking fricken sweet there, can't wait to play with these in-game although i know that's miles off yet :(
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Also just a quick note: the slasher's turret is not supposed to pop up. Instead, the time spent popping up needs to be replaced with a steam effect and sound. It will make sense, I promise.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

This way you won't notice that they don't actually move on walk.
u could always bit fix that by adding square planes on sides, and using alpha channel to make it look like wheels. http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/AlexM ... wheels.jpg

and make it spin while moving (no need to hide wheels tbh, tracks are much worse to animate)
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Was actually referring to the treads. Sorry I said wheels. The sides (wheels) will probably just be shape merges. I doubt they will really need to spin.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

olol, ok then. could be nice eyecandy, but ye, its not something obligatory
dcore221

Post by dcore221 »

PRO_[JAZZ] wrote:can I make a request that whoever looks at this doesn't rely to heavily on LUA trickery, as I run exclusively on the MT version of spring. I can't play Zero K at all using MT, it would be a real shame to block the MT version for BA as its so much faster (and once you've turned off the updated UI etc very stable!).
+1

also could you add tanktracks like in springtanks? look much cooler than hovering or whatever it is that they do in ba

i dont mind losing a few fps to pay for these effects :)
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

what a pitty that mr.d did them already, but looks jummy
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

They're great, but imo the gator looks a little small.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Sizes can be scaled afterwards too. It might be a bit high compared to its width, dunno... At least from top down it looks good, though I'd be interested to see how it'd look if the 90┬░ corners visible from the top were either rounded a bit.

And how about adding some visible sensor equipment to the slasher, to show that it's a good spotter? It used to have the more truck-like appearence with bigger windows and all which could be thought to represent that, but now it's only distinguishable from the others by its weapon.
Also its weapon is kinda big for what it is I think, it does the least damage by far out of these units yet it almost has the biggest weapon. Or compared to the scout ships aa weapon which does more damage too.
Floris

Post by Floris »

yes, at first sight I thought the slasher was a janus and the instigator looked indeed very small and heigh, but it's small size actually represents the ingame value: a warning to never waste resources on it!

And just love the unified.. tanky looks!

But the arty looks like it's the most armored one, and that's a bit deceiving.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

You can always use a texture trick to make the treads look like they're moving.

Make 3 (or more) duplicates of the tread meshes and offset the tread texture by a little bit for each. You can then cycle through those 3 pieces repeatedly to achieve a neat 3 frame tread animation.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”