tier 1 unit guide - Page 2

tier 1 unit guide

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

aegis

Re: tier 1 unit guide

Post by aegis »

the guide itself is decent and on the right track in many cases.

two hammer/thud will be hard to counter with a small number of peewees/aks simply because you need to micro against multiple turrets turning (micro time is a resource not all players can afford) and plasma tears small kbots apart.
maybe use storms/rockos for range, just remember hammer/thud get range advantage from hills.

remember you almost never have just *one* counter, the beauty of spring/ba unit diversity means you can often make up a new strategy to counter units - and you have many helpers like mines, rezbots, bladewings, stationary walls/defense, and mechanics like nano shielding, kiting, unit radius, turn radius/speed, terrain/gravity, AoE...

as for micro, control time is a resource just like metal/energy, except it depends on the player's ability. being comfortable/quick with the game and being able to pay attention increases possible micro time - but new players can't afford to spare the time anywhere near as much as experienced ones

don't disregard everyone due to their attitude (which proud players might tend to have), they are very right about mechanics.

I do think the guide could be improved by including unit combinations (slasher+leveler), build/resource costs (if you have enough metal to build anything, you aren't building enough of anything) and even multi-lab - if you do end up with a ton of metal or a spare core player, small groups of bladewings counter mostly anything but anti-air and commander laser, and transport+units can be effective. (janus are a t1 unit which can be nice to drop in a rear base because players often don't mass combat units or defense in their base unless they're messing around, though many units work well in that case)

as for cross-lab counters, I think they're valid as a good enough player can make the wrong lab type work on most maps.
some maps are good with both, and vehicle can be very deadly on some kbot maps with common kbot choices (vehicles vs storm for example)

the forum is a good place for peer review before hitting the wiki or a dedicated page if OP actually wants it
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

wow, get out of my mind hack ! (second part only tho :D)
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Hackfresser wrote:that's why i cba to respond to your post.
But you DID respond to it :regret:
Llamadeus

Post by Llamadeus »

I always wanted to write a guide like this . . .
knorke

Post by knorke »

Llamadeus wrote:I always wanted to write a guide like this . . .
i always wanted to write a post like this...
Llamadeus

Post by Llamadeus »

Live the dream.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Llamadeus wrote:
OHMEGEWDNESS ITS HIM !

/squeals like a teen
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

Johannes wrote:
Hackfresser wrote:that's why i cba to respond to your post.
But you DID respond to it :regret:
He wouldn't want you to think he was dumbstruck in awe of you.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Stumpy is not bread-and-butter..Flash is bread-and-butter, Stumpy is to Flash like Brutix is to Thorax(kudos if you know what I'm talking bout).

PS. Good luck outmaneuvering riot tanks with a horde of stumpies..

Why so little info on resbots? they are very valuable..
MrCucumber

Post by MrCucumber »

The way I see it, flash and gators are better against other units while stumpies and raiders are more for assaulting bases and porc, but this is BA were luck plays a bigger part then skill and sometimes the flash will kill the base faster, and the stumpies will win the fights more.

EDIT:

You wrote:
Necro/Rector

These units are exact copies in all their statistics. Just the model and the name is different.

I don't think I have ever seen a rector wreck, but necros leave wrecks all the time.
Valheru

Post by Valheru »

MrCucumber wrote:luck plays a bigger part then skill
I think, firstly, urdoinit-horridly-rong, and secondly, do you know anything about spring? your earlier posts are depressingly inaccurate and false.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

said guy who thinks anti stops tac nuke
Valheru

Post by Valheru »

after we'd all clarified that no1 ever sees tac nukes being used due to them being so shit, which might be the reason my trivia on one of the least used units isnt 100%
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

hrr :}

also cucumber is somewhat right. bit generalised, but still makes more sense than your post
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

MrCucumber wrote:The way I see it, flash and gators are better against other units while stumpies and raiders are more for assaulting bases and porc, but this is BA were luck plays a bigger part then skill and sometimes the flash will kill the base faster, and the stumpies will win the fights more.

EDIT:

You wrote:
Necro/Rector

These units are exact copies in all their statistics. Just the model and the name is different.

I don't think I have ever seen a rector wreck, but necros leave wrecks all the time.
rectors don't leave wrecks
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

thats what he said
MrCucumber

Post by MrCucumber »

Valheru wrote:
MrCucumber wrote:luck plays a bigger part then skill
I think, firstly, urdoinit-horridly-rong, and secondly, do you know anything about spring? your earlier posts are depressingly inaccurate and false.
Buddy, I haven't seen you online for a long time.
Have you ever been in one of those 1v1's on CCR where half your units are stuck in wrecks and can't fire over them while the enemy units, are right around the wrecks and are destroying your units with no problems?
Or when a bomber comes in and it *should* kill the nanos because the mods stats say so, but because it came of a certain direction, with a certain speed, and turned a bit before dropping the bombs, the nanos live with 3 hp and your bombers did nothing to stop the endless stream of units coming out because he has more E and BP then you.

There are a lot of little things that happen in the battles between units that makes 1 side win over another. These variables come from the map, engine, messed up hit-boxes and unit targeting AI.

In a perfect world were BA is perfect, well it would be a different game :D
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Cmon, you choose how to position your stumpies. It's not luck... There's many things that are down to luck a bit, but those are definitely not such examples.
MrCucumber

Post by MrCucumber »

Johannes wrote:Cmon, you choose how to position your stumpies. It's not luck... There's many things that are down to luck a bit, but those are definitely not such examples.
That is true, my positioning of them was pretty bad, but it still didn't explain why the enemy stumpies were getting free shots and stuff, and in the end my army of stumpies that was twice as large as his did win, but I lost more then I should of. Also I said that luck plays a bigger part then skill was a bit over exaggerated, but I remember a game were I beat Carp just because his flash got stuck on hills and such, and that the wrecks were blocking the shots while my gator's shots were not blocked causing me to win.
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

It's down to luck when you don't micro

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”