BA model replacements - Page 29

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Aether_0001

Re: BA model replacements

Post by Aether_0001 »

I bet the more high tech kbots will look even more high tech, don't worry.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

SirArtturi wrote:Bob's ak is very sopisthicated and looks pretty well armoured, the texture is kinda highlighting the impression.
i dont disagree with this, but at the same time, it opens up the door for the other bot designs to look even more armoured and imposing :mrgreen:
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Dunno, it's not as much about being "high tech" or not I think (tech level is kinda hard to judge by armor plates when it comes down to it), but whether it looks more sleek or bulky.

It's much not different with the original models either though - compare AK to Thud or Storm and say if those look like they have over 2 or 3x more hp than the ak. I think people (me included) just learn to associate the current AK model with being light and pesky cause you've seen them die fast so often.
That said, ideally the new AK would be a bit lighter, but it's not something that'd be problematic if left as it is.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I love you Bob and Pyra!

Bump mapping is enabled in this shot.
Applied an AO baked ground decal to enhance.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Finally I've found the recent advances!!

I declare thsi thread epic win, COOKIES FOR ALL =]
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

The spring engine never ceases to amaze me.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Progress is good:
All scripted, normal mapped and with ground decals.
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

AWESOME! Amazing work!
I can't wait to see all this working. 8)
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

Very nice. Not sure what each energy structure is yet but they all glow nicely and don't look similar. Its good that team colors show a lot mroe than OTA models (they do, right?).

I think there's too much ground AO for the solars. The big shadow from such flat units makes them seem kind of like they're floating over a pit.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Have you figured out how to make the energy storage plants "glow" again yet?
crazy dave

Post by crazy dave »

OMG great work!!! show us krog next :D

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 29,r:3,s:0
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

SinbadEV wrote:Have you figured out how to make the energy storage plants "glow" again yet?
It's done with lups. It's not hard, he probably just hasn't has a chance to do it yet.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

SinbadEV wrote:Have you figured out how to make the energy storage plants "glow" again yet?
I dont understand what you are saying here. There is a glowy ground plate present as well as the building itself having a pulsed glow texture. Look closer at screenies next time.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Beherith wrote:
I dont understand what you are saying here. There is a glowy ground plate present as well as the building itself having a pulsed glow texture. Look closer at screenies next time.
It's hard to tell that something has a pulsed glow from a static screenshot... but I am glad to hear you have already addressed my concern.
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

I got the impression that all the buildings looked like they're made of matte or playdough... it just doesn't quite fit into the terrain/BA style. Could you tweak the textures a bit so that they look more like metal and not plastic?

I hope I'm not dissing everything and telling that I want you start all over again, which is not what I want. You've done a great, amazing job which showed in your renders, but the overall feel in-game doesn't seem quite right.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Aether_0001 wrote:I got the impression that all the buildings looked like they're made of matte or playdough... it just doesn't quite fit into the terrain/BA style. Could you tweak the textures a bit so that they look more like metal and not plastic?

I hope I'm not dissing everything and telling that I want you start all over again, which is not what I want. You've done a great, amazing job which showed in your renders, but the overall feel in-game doesn't seem quite right.
Metallic-ness feeling mostly comes from unit reflectivity, so it depends a lot on the lighting settings of the map and the angle of the camera.

Look for example at the difference between the folsom screenshot and the tabula one.
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

It's true that there's a difference, but on both maps I feel that it's a little too plasticky. Like in the renders all of the buildings look like hard, sharp killing machines except in the in-game render, I dunno it just looks really plasticky, I suspect because of the solid gray texture for the metal.

I think this problem can be more easily remediated by reducing specular reflection because metal is more reflective (like a mirror) than shiny (like a white "sheen"). Though it would probably be a comp eater to add reflections, I suggest if you feel like doing more than specular reflections you can change the texture to more sharp gray/white/black gradients, similar to the old OTA ones with decals.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

The reason for the plasticy look atm is that my specular/reflective texture is only a placeholder, and I made a bump map for it that is waay over the top.
This can be remedied, note the difference:
no bump

bump
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

AHA! Okay Behe, thanks for telling. Was my bad :D I am satisfied.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

The buzzsaw cannons are shortened in those screenies for some reason. There are 3 parts to each gun, and it should be the same size cannon as the intimidator. Overall looks great though.

EDIT: Oh also it looks better if the metal extractors pop out one ring less.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”