Star Wars space mod?

Star Wars space mod?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Star Wars space mod?

Post by SpikedHelmet »

If it hasn't/isn't being done, maybe I will try. I'd like to see a massive Star Destroyer with like 454656477gajillion turbolasers shooting out of everycrack and crevice waste some Rebel scum or something.

Don't mind me, I just looked at the FF thread and got inspired for space combat. I would like a Star Wars vs. Star Trek mod :D Galaxy-class vs. Imperial-class!
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

That's Imperator-class. And the Galaxy would last all of a fraction of a second. Muahahaha
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Arent I happy I got a laoda starwars DVD's this morning then ^-^ Plenty of ships to look at in the first 20 minutes fo episode 3, it'd keep us all busy modding for weeks.

But if you want starwars battles in space or startrek, go look at the Starwars mod for HW/HW2, it's got all the stuff from imperial galactic empire and rebels with the big cruisers etc. If we did do a mod it'd be that mod we'd end up drawing stuff from to quicken the pace.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I bring you the secret url to the lastest SWTAWIS !
http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29278

Star War Total Annihilation War In Space was a TA mod which as its name implies, blabla [...] very small scale so as to accomodate large star destroyer class ship which unfortunatly were never done blabla [...] Dark Sun style space TC where space is land and asteroids are sea and large vessels tanks blabla [...] then Dragon45 stopped working on it because we couldn't fix elusive crash bugs blabla [...] Crazy Polish made the Star Destroyer blabla [...]

Probably too low poly for Spring, and your idea was probably to remake everything instead of porting already available TA material, but anyway, I felt like posting this.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

No offense to whoever Crazy Polish is, but those models are atrocious.

And, zw, you know me too well. ;) Though I liked WIS. I'll take a look at it.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

I almost exploded when I read the title of this thread.

Yes, it is extremely low-poly for SPring in its current iteration. Everything in there was completely optimzed fOR TA's scale, however, the one thing that *can* be ported over completely is the balance. Spent a ton of time on balance.

One of the things i was excited about when Spring came out was that it wold be possible to properly implement fire-arcs etc on the larger capital ships as well as more weapons, etc. per ship, and because of the scorrable camera, it would be very possible to have tiny fighters buzzing around zoomed in, and thne you zoom out and see there's a bunch of capital ships they're near, and you could control at any scale you wanted, etc. Not to mention proper multi-transport and so forth.

I have some more random stuff on my HD that was never released (i think i might stil lhave it not sure) so if you do want to go through with it, just lemme know once you're ready and i'll send you the stuff.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

well i just modelled this over the past half hour. 360-something faces though, much too high.

on second look at it the wing pylons seem to be a little too long...
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

360 polies isn't too high for spring.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Cant we just sue the models from Starwars springs? Afterall I dont remember most of the fighters ever being used anywhere but space save a handful,a nd they are fully textured/scripted etc...
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Decimator wrote:360 polies isn't too high for spring.
No, most certainly it is not. As I've demonstrated with G/E/M playtests, the engine can handle upwards of 600,000 polygons on a mid-end system. 360 is certainly well within reasonable limits, even if you're talking about polygons (that'll mean 720 triangles... whenever i talk about gem poly counts I mean in triangles. my fighters, in actual 4-sided polygons, are actually only about 450 or so)
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

Caydr wrote:That's Imperator-class. And the Galaxy would last all of a fraction of a second. Muahahaha
you know that in Starwars they use lasers, right? Star Trek shields completely shrug off laser fire. Even a shuttle could destroy a star-destroyer, given enough time. Stick a star destroyer against any ship armed with photon torpedoes and its shit is ruined.
Comparing Star Trek to Star Wars is entirely inappropriate because they just use two totally different technology bases.
Doikor

Post by Doikor »

FizWizz wrote:
Caydr wrote:That's Imperator-class. And the Galaxy would last all of a fraction of a second. Muahahaha
you know that in Starwars they use lasers, right? Star Trek shields completely shrug off laser fire. Even a shuttle could destroy a star-destroyer, given enough time. Stick a star destroyer against any ship armed with photon torpedoes and its shit is ruined.
Comparing Star Trek to Star Wars is entirely inappropriate because they just use two totally different technology bases.
Just take one of those big ass star destroyers and ram em on the tiny star trek ships. I mean their like 100x in size or something :D
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Eh, Star Wars doesn't use lasers, this is obvious because:
1) You can see them (lasers need to pass through dust or smoke or something to be visible)
2) They take time to reach their targets (no speed of light)
3) They have variable widths throughout the beam (lasers are lasers because they are focused and have very very little width variation even over extreme distances)

Star Wars uses superheated plasma contained in magnetic fields. This is also why the beams often have "flak" effects and burst in mid air (see Episode 2's battle of Geonosis for a large scale demonstration of this).

Annnnnnyway a space version would indeed be nice. If you want to use the SWS starfighters, do get in contact with me externally, I'd prefer you to use the ones with the fixed blasters that can actually hit things. And of course we're going to end up remodelling them eventually anyway, so those would be available for you too.

Right now, the main problem is the scale. It's not that Spring can't handle large ships (I'm sure you've seen my star destroyer pic by now), it's the collision system that hampers it. However, simply scaling the fighters down to half size and modelling the capital ships according to that would possibly work well.

If this ever gets off the ground and into a working state, I'd like to package it with SWS instead of having the two seperate Star Wars mods. It'd make far more sense to have them in one simple package, IMO.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Now Babylon 5 would kick Star Trecks ass with five arms tied beind its back.

I dont know about Star Wars, as they have huge guns and all.

On topic: This would be really cool...explecealy combined with SWTA mod to make a SW: Galactic Empires feeling (whitch i just played at a gameing convention: Kick ass!)
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

SpikedHelmet wrote:well i just modelled this over the past half hour. 360-something faces ...
The «wings» have too many faces. They have details that will, probably, be unnoticeable. Those details should be made by the drawn texture and not by extra faces.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

They could be done with textures, but then you wouldnt get the nice shadow effects you would get if the detail was modeled like it is. Its really up to the modeler to decide.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

PauloMorfeo wrote:
SpikedHelmet wrote:well i just modelled this over the past half hour. 360-something faces ...
The «wings» have too many faces. They have details that will, probably, be unnoticeable. Those details should be made by the drawn texture and not by extra faces.
I don't think we have to be stingy and cut 20 faces or whatever with today's graphics cards...
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

If I counted correctly, that would actually be about 140 faces you would cut if you simplyfied the wings down to 1 face per side. (making a total of 8 faces per wing)
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

No SW starfighter in a space mod should be mroe than 300 polygons or so, if you want a good scale. A lot of the problems with the TA version could be linked to the limitations of that engine and interface; as i said, stuff like the transport-circle pickup and dropoff would contribute so much to the mod it wouldnt even be funny.

There's probably two units you coudl port straight over t othe Spring version in terms of modeling: the Nebulon-B and the Lancer and Carrack Frigates (i meant 3 ;) ). They all have good detail and texturing, and had good armaments even on OTA.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Oh, and before you start...

USE LOGICAL AND ORGANIZED INTERNAL NAMING CONVENTIONS!

[/flu] :P

Return to “Game Development”