BA model replacements - Page 28

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Re: BA model replacements

Post by Karl »

Iz3 wrote:Flamers everywhere

go to your nearest water station
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Woah woah woah, take a step back here.

As far as the critique is concerned, yes its very helpful! And its always welcome ofc! But, it may be a while till I get to anything regarding the buildings as they are already done and released. It would result in lots of time lost if I took steps back now. Anyone else is welcome to edit them now if you want it changed right away. Just don't expect me to get to it at the moment, as Im sort of in the zone right now, and stopping to fix things from a different pack would waste lots of time. I will ofc, collect all the issues and fix them when the units are done.

EDIT: Also about the t3 gantry, I just used the footprint for the original. D:
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

The "constructiveness" of Floris's critics is another debate. I'm just saying that it should be said before every things is done/textured, that's all, nothing personal with Floris :-)

Once a model is properly uv mapped and textured, it's hard to tweak/update the mesh without having to redo the whole uvmap/texture. :-)
Regret

Post by Regret »

Mr. Bob wrote:Also about the t3 gantry, I just used the footprint for the original. D:
Well then all should be alright. :regret:
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

K and this is what they will generally look like textured.

Attachments
Tada14.png
(685.85 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
smoth

Post by smoth »

smoth wrote:reponses like floris' response really just need to be ignored.
note I am only using floris' last minue response as an example not an attack on him.
smoth wrote: So many spring users like to come in after the fact and tell yo their opinion. Just keep going bob, it is a helluva lot better than they would do and honestly if it means anything I am impressed both by your commitment and speed.
note I am talking about a plural form.. as in not just floris. I am talking about spring people in general.

No flaming just indifference. IMO a critique after a work is this far completed in silly and spring people do it a lot. It is why work here never gets done because you spend 5 years tweaking a cube to make it cubier(exaggerated example before people blow a gasket over the fact that there is no model in spring that has been worked on for 5 years).

Bob, I like the ak but fee the dual eye visor makes it look too cartoony. I say cartoony because it feels too anthro due to the whole face eyes and mouth percetion of the head. I am a huge fan of singular cylon style visors though so feel free to lol at my design preferences
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

are the current atlas textures available in the thread?

it wouldn't be that big of a deal for someone to try and remake a building or two if they really wanted, right?
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Oh I wouldn't mind at all. :D As long as its somewhat consistent with the style. I'm not in charge anyway.

The texture was released with the models. Diffuse and Normal.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

this model looks more like a PW to me, then an AK. for once because of the general posture (quite human like), and for the guns, which have quite large barrels, which makes sense for plasma balls, but not for lasers.
looks nice of course. :D
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Keep in mind he's on chicken legs.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

ahh true, i did not see that.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

Not as weedy as the original ak but I assume all units will look more badass than the originals.
Attachments
ak.png
(403.2 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

I originally wanted the new BA to look like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mZZiI4ShQ

But the new models are better than that. :O
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Can you take screens of future models, from a game perspective also? Straight from top down.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

So uh, is it ok if I give the storm model 4 legs? Would look a lot better for a rocket based unit.

EDIT: Oh. Nevermind thats the anti air bot...oops.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I separated the teamcolor from the texture, available here:
http://beherith.eat-peet.net/stuff/Core_color.tif

I ran into some minor things, some worth considering: some of the stuff - like radar dishes - arent double sided, but that is easily fixable.
Excellent stuff though!
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Lemme be frank with you:

While the model, ipso facto, is awesome, It's really not like AK. Your model looks too high tech to be AK.

Stylewise, It could be a peewee, if just the head would be more boxy.

Also, the texture is boring, its just gray and red metal plates.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

Shouldn't everything be high tech? It is a running battle robot.

Surely the old AK is so plain only because it was created 15 years ago. And.. its just a tiny AK, does it need an exciting texture?
caldera

Post by caldera »

Thanks for sharing the texture, beherith.
Here is a little video of the geothermal plant with smoke and pre explosion effect:
http://spring-portal.com/index.php/docm ... -animation

I'd like to have the smoke more white, cause its a geo, any idea how this works?

atm my script is:

Code: Select all

-- effects
local SMOKEPUFF = 258
local function Anim()
	while (true) do
		EmitSfx(smokespot, SMOKEPUFF)
		Sleep(100)
	end
end
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

momfreeek wrote:Shouldn't everything be high tech? It is a running battle robot.

Surely the old AK is so plain only because it was created 15 years ago. And.. its just a tiny AK, does it need an exciting texture?
Well, my high-tech argument can be debated, not saying, but I still tend to see that AK is sort of a unit that is mass-made from really cheap parts and can be very easily damaged.

Bob's ak is very sopisthicated and looks pretty well armoured, the texture is kinda highlighting the impression.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”