Hows Spring been?!

Hows Spring been?!

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

BlueFrost

Hows Spring been?!

Post by BlueFrost »

to whoever remembers me haha hows spring been? heard the engine was having tons of problems lately?
Neddie
Community Lead

Re: Hows Spring been?!

Post by Neddie »

Not of late, but for a while with the pathing changes. I haven't been playing much myself. How have you been, what were you up to?
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

there have been some advances of recent
smoth

Post by smoth »

I do not know who you are and as such do not know when you left so I can correctly tell you what has updated.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Hey frosty!

you have a new pc yet?

We have much nicer maps possible now with ssmf format, we have nifty new lua gadgets that make teleporters and lava floods possible, we can join a game that already started, so you can spec anything anytime, and we no longer have desync issues. Thats more or less it. Oh and pathing still sucks :)

Also, there is a very nice complete remodel effort for BA going on, in a few months we may have a new BA.
knorke

Post by knorke »

i like how 2/5 of the listed recent advances are stuff by me lazily typing some dozen lines in a textfile. :shock: :? 8)
gonpost

Post by gonpost »

HI!!!

I second what BaNa said. In particular, I really do hope you have a new computer. :D
Regret

Post by Regret »

BlueFrost wrote:to whoever remembers me haha hows spring been? heard the engine was having tons of problems lately?
Ah, so you finally managed to post on forums after those 3 years of loading! :regret:
Echo419

Post by Echo419 »

smoth wrote:I do not know who you are and as such do not know when you left so I can correctly tell you what has updated.
derp
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Hey Frosty!
Cut your loading time to below 5 minutes yet? :regret:

Nah, we missed you. Welcome back. :-)
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

BLUE FROSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

BaNa wrote:Oh and pathing still sucks :)
That phating sucks is also because most developers are lazy to optimize it to make it less sucky Spring pathing system is sort of better than most other older/newer RTS games
lancedulak

Post by lancedulak »

I just came back after a loong long longtime. Ive tried to get the worrd out about spring occasionally. I was hoping there would be more players and that it would have advanced but. .. am I wrong? It seems to have stagnated to the point of death.

Part of the problem i think is this community. If you write a mod outside the box (like Senna) you recieve personal attacks by 12 year olds constantly. If you write anything else that isnt BA or CA well youre a heretic. And both ba and ca are just massively inferior versions of TA.
Has the community died?
knorke

Post by knorke »

lancedulak wrote:Has the community died?
No. You can still play all the *a mods just as years ago. Some evolved a bit ie AA -> BA, CA -> ZeroK, XTA -> XTA with sing button.
If you write a mod outside the box (like Senna) you recieve personal attacks by 12 year olds constantly.
TechA is not outside the box, its perfectly inside the TA-with-extra-stuff box ;)
If you write anything else that isnt BA or CA well youre a heretic.
Wrong, everybody says how it looks really cool and then nobody plays it except the people who made the game.
it would have advanced but. .. am I wrong? It seems to have stagnated to the point of death.
Everything is more advanced but I think for the players things did not get easier. (ie 3 lobbies but now you have to find one that works for you)
What use is automatic mapdownload if you do not know what maps are good? Many are just crap or dont work. So they join DSD. (map popular as Altored Divide, Speedmetal etc used to be)
For game makers, making new games is still really slow. It is taken as normal that even simple unitdef or script files are copied from other projects the reason of that is imo bad docu and tools.
Regret

Post by Regret »

lancedulak wrote:If you write a mod outside the box (like Senna) you recieve personal attacks by 12 year olds constantly.
Senna gets the heat because of his deceitful past actions and bad reputation.

You won't get flamed for making a game.
You will get flamed for making a game and labeling it as other game to gain popularity/trick players into playing it. Such actions are remembered.

That aside, your registration and post date discredit your post content about community status.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

You get flamed for making a game in fanboi territory (as gundam, as hl2) so if you dont get flamed, your inspiration was not famed.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Karl wrote:
BaNa wrote:Oh and pathing still sucks :)
That phating sucks is also because most developers are lazy to optimize it to make it less sucky Spring pathing system is sort of better than most other older/newer RTS games
I think you're underestimating both the interest of the developers and the complexity of the task.
lancedulak wrote:I just came back after a loong long longtime. Ive tried to get the worrd out about spring occasionally. I was hoping there would be more players and that it would have advanced but. .. am I wrong? It seems to have stagnated to the point of death.

Part of the problem i think is this community. If you write a mod outside the box (like Senna) you recieve personal attacks by 12 year olds constantly. If you write anything else that isnt BA or CA well youre a heretic. And both ba and ca are just massively inferior versions of TA.
Has the community died?
No, it hasn't died. Some people have left, some people have arrived. We have more games and modifications at a higher level of completion/complexity under active development than we did in the past.

There are trolls, we can't deny that. We could protect content developers to a greater extent, but we are often accused of favoritism as it is.
PicassoCT wrote:You get flamed for making a game in fanboi territory (as gundam, as hl2) so if you dont get flamed, your inspiration was not famed.
So true.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Neddie wrote:
Karl wrote: That phating sucks is also because most developers are lazy to optimize it to make it less sucky Spring pathing system is sort of better than most other older/newer RTS games
I think you're underestimating both the interest of the developers and the complexity of the task.
it was mainly pointed to game developers because pathing has also to do with the mod/game and not spring engine itself
i know that coding are complex but the engine can not be alone be its own fault
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

ffs frost, you load for 3 years, post once, then what? Is the refresh going to take another 3? :P

Return to “General Discussion”