NEW MAP: Hotstepper (lava map for anyone) - Page 2

NEW MAP: Hotstepper (lava map for anyone)

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: NEW MAP: Hotstepper (lava map for anyone)

Post by PicassoCT »

Footbath: Some like it hot!
plouf

Post by plouf »

knorke wrote:> http://pastebin.com/NscGqkbb
[16:44:48] <dno221> [f=0000000] This stack trace indicates a problem with your graphic card driver. Please try upgrading or downgrading it. Specifically recommended is the latest driver, and one that is as old as your graphic card. Make sure to use a driver removal utility, before installing other drivers.
[16:44:49] <dno221> [f=0000000] (0) C:\WINDOWS\system32\atioglxx.dll [0x00ABE732]
someone with ati please report if it works for him?
had games with ~8 players and only he+PicassoCT had problems so far
My card is an ati card and it worked for me. (ati HD 4570)
knorke

Post by knorke »

Will probally make a v2 fix of this map though because I like how it works with any player number 2-6:
-slower raising lava
-lava staying longer
-fix heightmap in grey/low area
-bit less metal, balance geo spots locations

oksnoop2 wrote:Interesting concept, how did you achieve this?
knorke in [url]http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25018[/url] wrote: a gadget kills all units that happen to be in area X during time Y, thats not hard.
gfx wise for lava i had the idea of basically a plane that is under the map and if you raise that plane it clips through the terrain where it is low. plane would have some lava texture, maybe scrolling or w/e
So I had the idea some time already but it wasnt until zwzsg explained how drawing 3d stuff works that i could make it.
(http://answers.springlobby.info/questio ... game-world)
zwzsg wrote:LavaLevel = MapYmax-(MapYmax-MapYmin)*math.abs((frame/1800)%2-1)
Thats clever. But I did something better:
addTideRhym (targetLevel, speed, remainTime)
So its very easy to add various tides. ie a low tide that comes very fast and only stays for a short time then comes a high tide that raises slowly and quickly goes down and so on.
AF wrote:If you can make it steam at the edges of the lava then that should get rid of the fugly edges.
edges are fugly because the heightmap is fugly/not smooth enough in the lower ground. (there are "rings" in it) steam everywhere yes, at edges no. (unless science)
AF wrote:noobs playing a 4v4 with choose start post then 5 minutes in everybody gets killed by rising lava
i am loving it! 8)
KaiserJ wrote:if i made a map with this gadget in mind (its so hilarious and creative) could you help me a bit to get it all going? im thinking sewer sludge rather than lava
Yes. other mappers too.
You can change texture+color, I already did transparent water, acid (both the green stuff and the flashing colors picasso style)
It is also possible to expand the gadget, ie north and south of Falsom Dam could be flooded seperatly, damage over time instead of instant death, triggers that cause lava/sludge/acid to raise (ie destroying a pump station)

limits:
-ships & hovers cant drive on it (so make "toxic acid" instead of water)
-weapon projectiles just fall through (doesnt really matter much)
-units dont avoid lava while pathing (might be annoying on large maps, i kept it in mind with this layout and didnt see anybody complain about accidently moving into lava)
-If a completly flat area is flooded, it doesnt look very good:
compare with video at 0:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1lKuu-lf5E
flooding the slightly bumpy ground looks much nicer.
knorke

Post by knorke »

plouf wrote:My card is an ati card and it worked for me. (ati HD 4570)
thanks for telling :)
i think him crashing was unrelated to lava, iirc with lower settings it suddendly worked.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

lava might not work with dynamic water?
knorke

Post by knorke »

lava isnt water, its sold seperatly like batteries
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

I spectated one game with this map, and, it didnt really work, since everyone died at same time all of sudden, also now when i think about it, building labs or etc at those zones which will get drowned is kinda pointless if the place gets drowned in the next 5mins or so. People will just move at the highest places at beginning of the map, which kinda defeats the point of the map... i think best would be if the lava would rise really slow, lets say, in 60mins the map would be so full of lava that everyone would die. That would be good to prevent any further porc fests... but i dont know how airplanes reacts to this? can they just keep going higher with the lava and survive?

I think a map like this could work better since it has metal at multiple stages, only the heightmap could be adjusted so it would get higher altitude towards middle, so the lava could be seen earlier. Also the lava should rise depending on how much area it eats: if the area is flatty, it would rise really slow, but if its hilly, it would rise fast since it eats less area where units/buildings can be, so there would always be as much those "sudden" rises.

Also, i think this should be a Mod option ^^
knorke

Post by knorke »

I spectated one game with this map, and, it didnt really work, since everyone died at same time all of sudden
replay?
Funnily I saw quite same players building bases like this:
Whole map is empty and stalling on some T2 crap or whatever.

building labs or etc at those zones which will get drowned is kinda pointless if the place gets drowned in the next 5mins or so.
obv. lower area is not for base building. But map has 5*4+5*2+1 = 31 metal spots. 20/31 of those are in the lower so 66% of metal is in lower area. Good players will use those because a mex pays off very quickly. With all the metal+lots of wrecks + not much buildspace I think its even worth to make a geo in lower if you can nano it fast enough. And the wrecks stay so you can even rez or reclaim flooded stuff.Also using lower as attack route free of porc to shot back of base with ie hammer/thud or dgun up the hill...

Imo slowly rising lava is the most boring option as that will make a total porc fest to the top.If the lava goes away at some times you need mobile units to fill the empty areas.
so the lava could be seen earlier.
yea will def. do that for this map too, lowering the map corners more.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

knorke wrote:Imo slowly rising lava is the most boring option as that will make a total porc fest to the top.If the lava goes away at some times you need mobile units to fill the empty areas.
oh well, i was thinking that the lava wont go away. i have been twiddling with your lua code now, and it looks nice when the lava just goes slowly higher and higher ^^ im using my modified DSI map on it... Not sure how it will play though. i will adjust it to be at the top in ~30mins. so far it looks like it could be a good gameplay too.

also i think it would be best if the texture was moving into middle constantly instead of waving, this can be done via a kaleidoscope effect, but im not sure how good it would look since it would show more repetition at the texture the more petals (=more circular shape) it will get.

also would be good if the map under the lava would be invisible, looks kinda weird when you see parts of the map under the lava but no changes in color. another option could be to make the map under lava to be black, or almost black. using the default water shader perhaps, with slight changes?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I d like to take the opportunity, to rub everybody who frowned upon the feature request for lava-maps (years ago by now) headfirst into knorkes awesome. HAHA says the guy on Trafalgar square.
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

This map gives me a boner

I played a ton of games with BaNa and some of my friends.

PLEAAASE do one that's throne-ish. Also, I do think hovers should be able to hover on the lava.
MrCucumber

Post by MrCucumber »

RAGE!

My Com died while in a trans above the lava! RAGE!

Also I think a throne style map would be cool, maybe a 12x12 with 5 people and 4 lava layers.... :D
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

idea is epic :D
-ships & hovers cant drive on it (so make "toxic acid" instead of water)
what if hover is on the ground which gets flooded ?

what with water? what with ships that are made on water before it gets flooded ? (pretty silly lol)

@cucu - common sense tells its becouse air units always fly at the same height (counted from the groud). it makes air pretty useless on maps with this stuff, no ?
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

Wombat wrote: @cucu - common sense tells its becouse air units always fly at the same height (counted from the groud). it makes air pretty useless on maps with this stuff, no ?
/airmesh

airtrans in some places gets killed, survives in others. also, airunits have different cruising heights
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i know its different. i meant that there is always same distance between air unit and ground.

anyway, is there any warning that lava is going to kill ur stuff ? like 'run boi or get ur ass burned'. sitting with watch in ur hand is not cool :P
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Is it easily possible to edit the airmesh to not align with ground on the lava areas? So that they'd always fly higher there instead of dynamically changing it, should be simpler to do that way.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Great stuff knorke!

Here is an alternate lava texture, I made it tileable from some stock stuff:

Also, the 'jumpiness' of the lava on the lower areas of your map is caused by an 8bit heightmap. 16bit works perfectly.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I have a game with this map up on teh autohost right now. Added it to autohost maps btw.
knorke

Post by knorke »

ImageImage
MrCucumber wrote:RAGE!
My Com died while in a trans above the lava! RAGE!
well air units can fly over the lava without dying but on some transports the passenger is hanging below the transport so it dies...
Johannes wrote:Is it easily possible to edit the airmesh to not align with ground on the lava areas?
idea is good but requires looping through all points on terrain/airmesh to find out if they are under lava. might be expensive and dont know if updating the airmesh causes repathing or something.

Beherith: thanks, will have a look.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

sup guize

Return to “Map Releases”