Spring WD, the return. - Page 4

Spring WD, the return.

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Re: Spring WD, the return.

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I have an a10 and an m1 and some other stuff you can have. the a10 has a beautiful texture by wolf-in-exile, which i think he will give permission to use for this?

Spiked should be the one to talk to abotu 3d modeling since he jizzes over this stuff 24-7.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I am half tempted to just stick with .3DO and quad faces and make/remake the units the old fashion style.

The original OTA version is still great, I have neglected it since 2005 perhaps if anyone is interested I can work on that too.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

I agree with wombat it is better to get an idea of what you want and then see, it may already be done or easily convertable from existing code.

Also you need to not only noty use 3do but I'd suggest even investing in one of the newer model formats that may or may not appear soon.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

Beherith sent me a PM about some software that converts 3DO's into S3O's complete with textures!

That would be outstanding.

Don't give up WD fans, I have not.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

If you use that just be sure to not have any cavedog textures on there. I know you had a lot of custom textures to make most of your models fit their real world design, so most of it should be okay, correct?
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I planned to heavilly edit the texures to more accurately reflect the real world objects.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I've been working on the OTA version, made some changes and tweaks also added 2 new units.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

What 2 new units?

Also: You need a China vs India expansion. :mrgreen:
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

Current change log:

Mar 13th 2011 (6 years later)
-Updated NATO infantry textures replacing them with up to date uniforms
-Added M119A2 Light Artillery for NATO
-Added D-30 122mm light howitzer for Mospact
-Replaced M198 with M777A2 howitzer
-Replaced D-20 with 2A65 howitzer
-Replaced 2S19 with 2S3, 2S19 is now build in the Heavy factory
-M109A6 has slightly updated model, baskets are now to the rear rather than folded to the side.
-Replaced M47 Dragon ATGM and AT-7 with M136 AT-4 and RPG-16 for level 1 AT infantry
-NATO Recon now has a M4A1 rifle (more firepower)
-NATO Navy SEAL now has a M4 SOPMOD silenced rifle (again firepower)
-Updated many sound effects, replaced with sounds ripped from youtube.
-Changed Recon and SEAL weapons to M4A1 and M4A1 SOPMOD silenced.
-changed M8 and M29 to Mk16 SCAR-L and Mk17 SCAR-H and added incendiary grenades to the new heavy riflemen (replacing advanced grenadier).
-Added new side, the Rebels, inspired by the libyan rebels.
-Added MQ-9 Reaper, light bomber / attack drone
-Added Rebel Insurgent, Basic AK wielding infantry
-Added Rebel RPG operator
-Added Rebel Suicide Bomber
-Added Rebel Sharpshooter
-Added Rebel Stinger AA infantry
-Added Machinegun Technical
-Added SPG-9 Anti-Tank recoilless rifle technical
-Added T-55 Engima, Iraqi upgraded T-55
-Added Mi-8MT Hip-H, Transport/Light gunship
-Added Firebases for both NATO and Mospact, a structure with 2 MLRS', 2 SAMs and 4 pillboxes.
-Added PzH-2000 advanced self-propelled howitzer for NATO, build in heavy factory.
-Added new explosions.
-NATO MLRS now has a secondary fire, the ATACMS missile, useful for counter-battery fire on those pesky Mospact Smerch's.
-Added basic structures for the rebel faction.
-Added the Mirage F-1C support aircraft.
-the Rebels now have the D-20 howitzer (with all new updated model)
-Added T-55 dug-in tank (static structure) for base defense.
-Added Rebel Command Vehicle
-Updated many building textures, the Twin Gas powerplant is now a Heavy powerplant, a large structure with more health and more power production.
-Mospact now has the T-90S from Maestro's tank mini mod.
-Added some experimental units, CIWS structure and Patriot launcher to attempt to counter MLRS rushes (both failed), also added a cheat unit.

This is for OTA at the moment until I can do the things I want in Spring.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

What do you mean do the things you want in spring?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I was wondering that myself. You can easily do anything in spring that you could in ota.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

lol, steal the unit sounds from c&c generals for the rebels 100%

I will make the sacrifice!
I LOVE a crowd!
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

LOL I thought about it...

LUA is intimidating to me.

But my wish list is as follows;

-Realistic explosions and animations
-Conventional take off and landing of aircraft having to return to an airfield to rearm when ammunition is deplated like C&C.
-weapon sub-munitions, I.E. cluster bombs.

The new units I created can be easilly transferred to spring but for now I use OTA as a test bed, I will release an OTA version in the future.

Anyone know how to modify the OTA executable to have 3 sides? what do I need to hex edit?
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

GrOuNd_ZeRo wrote:-Conventional take off and landing of aircraft having to return to an airfield to rearm when ammunition is deplated like C&C.
Take a look at S44 air system. I think it will suit WD just fine. Things that may need to land in game area (helicopters?) already can do so, other aircraft aren't really supposed to land in battle zone.

Also "proper" airdrops are possible (look at S44 US faction). You can have, for example, Russian airborne infantry to drop together with some BMD.

This is spring-only feature of course, OTA version can't do that.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

You're wasting time making new 3dos and hex editing a 14 year old exe. :regret:
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Yeah G_Z, when I decided to bring AATA over to Spring I literally knew nothing about lua, non-3do modelling or anything. But it isn't that different. There is plenty of code you'll find useful in a number of projects -- S44, IW, Gundam and etc -- that I'm sure many would be willing to help you adapt and modify and teach on your own. Also uvmapping and doing proper textures isn't all that hard -- iirc you're a pretty good texturer and all you'd need to do is learn the (simple) steps to unwrapping a model and laying out all of its polygons into an image, rather than drawing every poly individually. It's just like a collage of 3do textures in one image, really :P
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Also, a long while ago someone (Zpock?) made a really awesome conventional aircraft airfield that built planes, queued them up into parking spots, and let them take off and land like normal aircraft, even taxiing on the runway and all of that. We were going to use it but eventually decided having a massive 20x20 airfield "unit" was impractical so we developed the air sortie call-in thing instead. I don't even know if that code is still around... but it must be,.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

GZ what you need is a team. That way you are not during the load of WD on your own. This is a lot of work even for experienced modders, and you should be realistic about time investments to reach the goals. I think there is plenty of people out there who would love to see it done, and the ground work has been partially laid by games like s44, gundam, CT, and ZK which have a ton of code resources.
knorke

Post by knorke »

FLOZi wrote:You're wasting time making new 3dos and hex editing a 14 year old exe. :regret:
this. unless you have a really large TA playerbase, I would say forgett about it.

All the things you want can be done or mostly were already done in other spring games.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I DO need a team...

Maestro went AWOL.

And I have UV-mapped before, since my laptop crashed in 2008 i've had to redownload alot of tools.

Does Spring allow for multi air transports without too much fiddling?

Return to “Game Development”