let the kittens fight bots !

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Wombat

Post by Wombat »

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/04/6554.ars

according to the another article ive read this is currently the most effective captcha. maybe worth considering ? it could be nice female magnet for spring either.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Re: let the kittens fight bots !

Post by SeanHeron »

So is this on-topic or off-topic :P ?
Plus I saw something about Ad-captchas somewhere, thought it was an interesting concept (though I'd hate to be seeing Ads in place of Captchas everywhere to be honest).
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

It would only work if every website had its own personal set of kitten photography. Otherwise, bots would just build up a library of every kitten photo on the internet.

Maybe if this was linked with cuteoverload and icanhazcheeseburger to guarantee an influx of fresh kitten?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

zwzsg wrote:Maybe if this was linked with cuteoverload and icanhazcheeseburger to guarantee an influx of fresh kitten?
or just visit 'cute pics thread'. anyway, i think its considerated most effective for some reason. hell, if current one fails why not try this ? there is also some totally impossible for bot to solve captcha with set of black and white pics, which basicly show rings and some lines. question is which one shows koala bear on the trees or mexican on bike. basicly none, but human will recognize them quite easly.
Petah

Post by Petah »

Spammers beat the system already.

There are people in India that are paid to receive Captcha screen shots decipher it and send back the answer.

This is all automated so one person could solve about 1000 Captchas a minute.

At 1 cent per Captcha, that's $10 an hour I imagine there are quite a few people doing this.
fc14159

Post by fc14159 »

Petah wrote:Spammers beat the system already.

There are people in India that are paid to receive Captcha screen shots decipher it and send back the answer.

This is all automated so one person could solve about 1000 Captchas a minute.

At 1 cent per Captcha, that's $10 an hour I imagine there are quite a few people doing this.
Sounds like my dream job. How do I get to India?
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

Petah wrote:This is all automated so one person could solve about 1000 Captchas a minute
wtf ? doesn't make sense
knorke

Post by knorke »

The "3 in 9" grid leaves the poor spambot with only a one in 84 chance of randomly picking the right answer.
1/84 doesnt seem good, bots are patient?
And there already are reverse image search engines like tineye.com, the bot could search for the picture and see with what words it appears on website.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Why not make a captcha that just asks questions?It seems to me that that would be ideal since the bot would have to understand the meaning of the sentence and the topic while humans will have no trouble understanding such questions and answering them as long as they are familiar with the subject and you can choose very generic things anyone know...
Like..
What is the name of the t1 arm fast attack tank?
How do we call the object that circulates the earth and is about a quarter of its size?
How many corners does a square have?
how many fingers does a human have on a single hand?
etc etc etc...
babbles

Post by babbles »

I bet a lot of people would get the last one wrong.
lurker

Post by lurker »

And again you pay people a tiny bit of money and they'll give you all the answers to save and use.

Satirik, s/minute/hour/. Context.
Gota

Post by Gota »

How about...User moderation!
any already successfully registered user can validate posts at any point.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Best captcha ever: Credit card number, expiration date and name... system authorizes for a payment of $100, if you post spam the system charges you $100 for the privilege.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Just make the forum registration process as complicated as getting a Spring game up and running for the first time.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Jazcash wrote:Just make the forum registration process as complicated as getting a Spring game up and running for the first time.
That gave me an interesting idea... What if you would have to finish some small platformer or whatsoever tiny game to pass the "captcha" ? that would be fun and hard for bots to solve... and takes too long for these indian guys to actually be able to make money by solving those. I hate so much reading those twisted piece of crap, playing some tiny game wouldnt be that painful.. even if it was a bit hard to finish :D
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

TradeMark wrote:
Jazcash wrote:Just make the forum registration process as complicated as getting a Spring game up and running for the first time.
That gave me an interesting idea... What if you would have to finish some small platformer or whatsoever tiny game to pass the "captcha" ? that would be fun and hard for bots to solve... and takes too long for these indian guys to actually be able to make money by solving those. I hate so much reading those twisted piece of crap, playing some tiny game wouldnt be that painful.. even if it was a bit hard to finish :D
xkcd had an idea:

http://xkcd.com/810/
Constructive
tooltip: "And what about all the people who won't be able to join the community because they're terrible at making helpful and constructive co-- ... oh."
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Yeah, thats funny, but not practical
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

SinbadEV wrote:Best captcha ever: Credit card number, expiration date and name... system authorizes for a payment of $100, if you post spam the system charges you $100 for the privilege.

I've set up a site charging 89Ôé¼ per comment. I have around 3 comments a day that I can trace. Takes me 5 minutes a day to delete the rest.
dizekat

Post by dizekat »

as a captcha, it is idiotic to the extreme.
When you're down to working on individual questions yourself, you can just as well simply ask users to write "hello world" or something like that into a form field, not blocking the blind. THAT is not bot solvable at all. On your blog, chances are you'll only ever need to make one question EVER, rather than categorize hundreds animal images as to require imaginary spammer who personally hates your guts to spend same time categorizing those images.
dizekat

Post by dizekat »

btw, what do you think is the most bullshit captcha ever?

IMO it's the one which applies severe image distortion to otherwise easily readable (and OCR-able) scanned text of old newspapers, under "stop spam read the books" slogan.
Somehow taking the original text from scanned newspapers is supposed to make you have fuzzy nice feeling at defeating the severe distortion applied to that scanned text to stop the bots from recognizing it.
Last edited by dizekat on 31 Jan 2011, 15:28, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”