Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help. - Page 2

Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

A tense title presenting the period of frigid conflict under Imperial rule in the Star Wars universe at lightspeed.

Moderator: Content Developer

Beherith

Re: Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

Post by Beherith »

I could do the AO plates if desired.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Really we need the units animated, that is one of the most important things that needs to be done for the final release.
i tested lots of units and they had at least basic animations and most were quite good.
So what are the /give unitnames that still need animations? Like completly new scripts as i dont know cob.
e-web, droideka, imperial artillery
as far i could tell they seemed to work?
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

The units that still need animations aren't in the svn yet. Most aren't even in-game yet. I'll get around to adding them soon (likely in a separate folder so you guys can make it an add-on pack or whatever you want to do).

If there's a shell command or something to add svn users, I can do that, otherwise it's up to Zsinj to get separate accounts made.

[edit] My walker pack stuff is on there now. I'll work on sorting through all the source models and textures and sounds and stuff and then upload them to yet another branch so you guys have everything to work with
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I can add shard support if you'd like
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

Just committed a fix for broken Imperial Royal Guards :)
TheFatController

I just added some examples I'd previously made with dropships for Imperial Solar, E-Storage and Barracks based on the old gadget by KDR, these may need further work and maybe the gadget improving - definite potential I think though.

Also added a dropship effect to the imperial commander at gamestart just because.
TheFatController

Updated again 8) fixed C.R.A.I.G.!

Currently only works well on maps it has waypoints lists for, todo: adding something to auto generate them for maps that don't have them.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Thanks all for the great work :)

Seperate accounts will be available shortly.

I am experiencing some odd bugs - when settings are set to 'high' (simple mode), under certain conditions all unit models will suddenly disappear. They are still selectable but their models are no longer being displayed. One way for me to trigger this bug is to build a scout trooper from the imperial commander. If I spawn other units, such as a construction droid, and start building, I have no problems.
When I switch my settings to 'medium' or 'low', the problem no longer occurs, but the game seems to lag terribly. I'll keep poking around in the detailed settings to see if I can pinpoint the cause. My laptop recently died, so I'm running on a low-end spare with a no-name gfx card (with latest drivers) so potentially that could be the issue.

Other minor bugs: Ordering a squad appears to spawn twice the intended units. Custom radar dots seem to be broken.

Beherith: AO plates? Is this the ambient occlusion stuff?

knorke: They tended to lock up at frustrating times. For a unit like the eweb, which can make or break infantry engagements, they would occasionally not deploy, or deploy and not undeploy. Possibly since they were coded there are new ways of handling this that might be more successful. Another annoying feature was that if the factory they were spawned in was under attack, they would deploy inside the factory and block it from building. From memory we eventually had to just remove the stop-to-fire function of the artillery because it was unuseable.

AF: What is shard support?

TFC: I think KDR's imperial construction hologram thing looks good. It would be nice if it showed some sort of visual reference to how complete it is (eg increases in opacity or something), so that both you and your enemies can visually see the progress at a glance. Should be blue in keeping with star wars hologram design.
We also need some sort of lua effect to show which builder is working on what construction (there is no assist in IW so no need to display that). Probably something abstracted from the game world like a dotted line.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:AF: What is shard support?
Shard is an AI
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Can chuck in s44 construction lines if they are sufficient. (They won't win any beauty awards)
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Two thumbs up to everyone lending a hand. You guys rock.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

I'd help but I know no lua *hides head in shame*
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

:/

I just reproduced the bug on another computer.

Do the models disappear for anyone else when you build a scout trooper from the imperial commander?

EDIT:
I have reproduced part of the bug using BA instead of IW.

When I load using the map 'EVORTS-Riverdale', the commander will appear (however I will be spammed with a number of messages informing me that certain tree wreckage info could not be found). As soon as I build or spawn a scout trooper, all units will disappear.
However, when I load the map 'Ravaged_v2', the commander will start the game invisible and all units will be invisible.

I have been able to reproduce this behaviour with BA, but there are no units that cause all everything to turn invisible once built or spawned on the Riverdale map.

Any ideas what the problem might be?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am not getting it
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

sigh, turning off reflective units seems to fix the bug, but makes the game lag like a bastard instead of hiding all the units when you build a scout trooper. Makes no sense, as it doesn't lag at all when reflectivity is turned on, even if you spawn a heap of stormtroopers, but it will make all the units invisible as soon as you build one scout. :?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am getting odd lag(masssive fps drops) but it seems to happen periodically.

as far as reflections I always run with reflective on.
knorke

Post by knorke »

do you run other programs in background?
it does not really make sense, but when i have upspring open in background, i sometimes get 100% black units and low fps. (~10 fps) (in other mods, not star wars)
Then i close upspring and the units get colored.
problem gfx driver or windows problem or w/e but maybe worth a try..

also i guess you could try giving the stormtrooper a different model/texture just to see if it still happens then. or give the stormtrooper model to diff. unit.
Last edited by knorke on 20 Jan 2011, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

no idea, gundam doesn't have these same hangs.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I tried running with nothing in the background, but no luck. I think it could be because of the noname intel graphics card (I note that the other laptop I tested this on also has a noname graphics card), but the behaviour is still really strange. I've gotta sort it out before I can really work on this properly. I'd like to have a couple of games before releasing the demo so that I know that they can actually be had.

EDIT: Tested with a computer with a decent graphics card and it worked ok... I still need to solve the problem on my laptop so that I can actually get some work done though.

smoth: Is chili UI something I can tackle, given no LUA knowledge? Any ideas with where to start with that?
TheFatController

smoth wrote:I am getting odd lag(masssive fps drops) but it seems to happen periodically.
The custom flag capturing command causes massive lag for me when commanding groups of units and they get near a flag.

I am writing a patch which scraps most of the existing underlying flag capturing code (preserving the same gameplay) for improved performance which should take care of it if this is the case.

Is the zooming bug the same as described at http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25092 maybe?

Return to “Star Wars: Imperial Winter”