Dead Birds Falling From the Sky - Page 2

Dead Birds Falling From the Sky

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Re: Dead Birds Falling From the Sky

Post by SinbadEV »

Panda wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:Is it too late to blame the Large Hadron Collider?
:P There was a breakdown in the space time continuum because of the large hadron collider and those dead animals appeared from a parallel universe consisting of a post-apocalyptic world. :lol:
I was thinking more along the lines of the sub-particles released by lead collisions interfered with the sub-atomic structure of the earths core, interrupting the frequency of gavitic and magnetic fields that birds and fish use to maintain schooling/flocking behaviour and causing them to fly too high and suffocate in the thin air (in the case of the birds) and clump together too close and use up all of the local oxygen in the case of the fish.

Edit: Also saw a clever term coined in a recent headline "Aflockalypse"
Panda

Post by Panda »

:o That could be why we have been having so many problems with honey bees dieing too.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

We have humans dieing over here, millions of them, from old age. Its horrible, they loose all there teeth, the hair turns grey, or goes missing completely, there skin looks like they melted. Its like the plague, and everybody gets it.

PS: Man are our lives boring and uninteresting without the stimulus of artificial panic and hysteria.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Panda wrote: :P There was a breakdown in the space time continuum because of the large hadron collider and those dead animals appeared from a parallel universe consisting of a post-apocalyptic world. :lol:
Nah, there was a breakthrough at LHC, but in the parallel universe.
These birds are the scientists who made the breakthrough.
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

probably some angry birds missing the pigs by heaps.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Damn inter-dimensional portals and microscopic black holes.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Tesla Orbital Microwave Laser.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Maybee a birdcult comiting mass suicide because of the dawing apocalypse 2012 that only the birds of the earth will survive unharmed?
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40961721/ns ... ?gt1=43001

I'd hate to link you there, but it seems it may help.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Crap article. Not a shred of actual information.

There is always a reason for 3000 animals to die at once. It should show up in a toxicology analysis. To just say "this shit happens" is the worst kind of journalism.

Even when you die of "old age" something was the cause of death. Typically that something is organ failure as a result of malnutrition.

Malnutrition you say? This isn't friggin' Africa, I live in the West! Yet it's true. When you get old your body stops absorbing vitamins and minerals. You then see the effects in events like burst arteries (copper deficiency).

My point is science is well equipped to determine cause of death and when a mass death happens it should be investigated, not shrugged off, because cause of death is not as hard to determine as that article implies. My theory is simply that it WAS investigated, the cause was determined to be pollution, the culprit was determined to be a large corporation with extensive lobbying power, and the issue was swept under the rug.

It wouldn't be the first time. The US has a history of unreported nuclear accidents (accidental release from nuclear facilities) and environmental accidents from other sources like coal plants. The problem is the government has over over time increased the volume of deadly emmissions required before something is deemed worthy of a large-scale response.

Historical Overview of Radiation Protection Guidelines: 1961 - 1980, emphasis added:
* This protection action guideline, which dates from 1961, represents the earliest and most conservative preventive action range of suggested evaluations and controls and pertains to the contamination of the environment beginning with low levels of anthropogenic radionuclides. In this guideline, a daily intake of 100 pCi/day of 131I represents a degree of contamination requiring actions which exceed quantitative surveillance and routine control (restrict pasture, avoid surface water supplies, wash or peel vegetables, store or reprocess milk) and encompass a level of contamination at which the "additional control" of isolating contaminated food would normally be taken.
* These protective action guidelines, often cited in FDA literature prior to 1980, have been superseded by the more liberal protective action guidelines issued by the FDA in 1982 and printed in the Federal Register. The EPA publication issued in 1992 and cited below reaffirms the 1982 FDA guidelines which were issued as a component of the radiological emergency response plans sponsored by FEMA. In these publications, no mention is made of the specific guidelines of the earlier FRC and their much more restrictive intake rate ranges.
in other words, as explained in the same document:
Earlier guidelines were concerned with contamination of the environment beginning with a "level of concern" which was much lower than those now described as emergency actions in the more recent revised FDA/FEMA protective action guidelines (PAGs). A third set of guidelines specifically titled "levels of concern" was issued by the FDA just after Chernobyl in anticipation of the spread of radioactive contamination from this accident. The fourth set of guidelines is contained within the Radiological Emergency Response Plans sponsored by FEMA, the circulation of which is restricted to authorized persons.
So in short. First the guidelines on dealing with nuclear accidents required an emergency response to accidents. Then they redefined what constitutes an "emergency" to tolerate more dangerous events. Then they decided the public didn't need to know. In addition it is not illegal to sell food contaminated by radiation provided the radiation falls below a level that has increased over time and is now secret.

The death of these birds and fish no doubt constitutes a "public doesn't need to know" type event.

It's probably worth mentioning at this point that there are 2 nuclear reactors and a "Chemical Agent Waste Facility" (for the storage of ex-munitions like mustard gas) within a 60 mile radius of where the event occurred.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I think that Spliff is right. We should be worried about the environment. People over here are always worried about living near the chemical plants because accidents do happen over there even if they aren't publicized, why not signs that something is wrong in the environment? A mass death of birds in the environment like that and a chemical agent waste facility nearby sounds really fishy. Maybe it wasn't deemed by the people who are supposed to be responsible for the accident as being all that dangerous and perhaps we wouldn't see any immediate or strongly correlated results pertaining to health risks in people that can be directly linked to this, but I still think that it would be wise to be careful about what you eat and drink for at least a little while. Plus, it would be nice if we could get some more environmental protection propaganda going.

As far as old age goes, it's true that the body may not be able to absorb nutrients as well or that your metabolism may not be as high as it used to, but I don't tend to worry about that sort of thing too much because I really think that I'm healthier than I was a child. Plus, I know of a lot of people who are older than I am and seem like their much tougher than I am and I don't know if I'd ever be able to do some of the stuff that they can do. Look at Clint Eastwood and some of those athletic old people. I think that they could do better in whatever activity or athletic sport that they're into than a lot of young people can. Old people are just old. It's not some sort of strange thing even if it seems that way to a younger person who doesn't really get that. Besides, a lot of young people where I live, even if they are still very obnoxious young people in general, do think that they should be respectful towards older people and that older people tend to be wiser.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Somewhat related, but until some years ago, a chemical reffinery upriver from us made i impossible to eat fish you could catch in that river.
But things got better - today you are allowed to eat the fish, and you get free cancer with every meal.

In my times birds used to be reliable, but these modern animals always revert into reptiles, evolving backwards, stop that bird. You belong into the air, you look so silly.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Lol. The fish will start to wear make up because of this.

Rosy-Lipped batfish.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

God killz it. Imagine you catch one of these, he jumps at you, and you return, makeup on your cheek home.

"Srsly honey, it was the fish, he attacked me. Those are fishmarks i swear."
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

It was me; sorry.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

no it wasnt
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

To prove it, I will now use my mental powers to make Smoth think I'm a jerk.

~~~

Ok, that's all I can do for a while.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

smoth doesnt think youre a jerk, dize is it now.

seriously, you need to follow the chat more here...
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

No, that just means I need to try harder.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

bobthedinosaur wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40961721/ns ... ?gt1=43001

I'd hate to link you there, but it seems it may help.
This article is a load of crap.

I could come with arguments but I think I don't have to. (re)Read the article and you'll probably think the same that I think.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”