Unit Rename Brainstorm: Vehicles - Page 2

Unit Rename Brainstorm: Vehicles

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

Jazcash

Re: Unit Rename Brainstorm: Vehicles

Post by Jazcash »

Mincer
Duke
Black Raptor
Cyclone
Obliterator
Vortex
Cilotron
Shredder
Imperialist
Gycon
Dread
Orchone
Deliverer
Cruncher
Cluster
Arclone
Wrecker
Liner
Mychro
Limiter
Tracker
scifi

Post by scifi »

Hellfire

Hellhound

Karnivor

Devastator

Wolf hound

Centaurus

Comet

Challenger

TAM

Titan -1 Titan -2

Fire-bulk

Crawler

A couple names for hover like models maybe:

arrow

ligthfall

Quarian
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Saktoth wrote:
Neddie wrote:Mason
Tracker
Falconer
Hunter
Archer
Skinner
Butcher
Minstrel
Weaver
Prettymuch the only good suggestions thus far.

Honestly, if we are sticking to the violent agent nouns, we can keep leveler, slasher, etc, call it homage. Weasel doesnt fit the theme though.
Yeah that was really more what I had in mind, with keeping in a consistent theme.

Speaking critically, I feel like most of those are too human-like for a vehicle fac, better suited for one of the bot facs. I'm not really super stuck on the agent nouns either though.

Anyway as the effective art/design lead Saktoth you should probably be the one with the final say on this.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Reconsitutor - con
Revealer - scout
Ripper - slasher
Roaster - heatray
Ranger - arty
Router - riot
Ravager
Recluse - wants to be far from action
Restrainer - prevents conflict
scifi

Post by scifi »

Google_Frog wrote:Reconsitutor - con
Revealer - scout
Ripper - slasher
Roaster - heatray
Ranger - arty
Router - riot
Ravager
these are better imo
Gota

Post by Gota »

scifi wrote:
Revealer - scout
Ripper - slasher
Roaster - heatray
Ranger - arty
Router - riot
Ravager
these are better imo

Reconsitutor-bad
all else fine but not perticulerly memorable.
all this descriptive names are fine but not really memorable nor hve much character.
what is memorable? peewee...Krogoth...Big bertha...
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Rager
Drainer
Faller
SIK-3
Krekor
gok
solta
scifi

Post by scifi »

Gota wrote:
scifi wrote:
Revealer - scout
Ripper - slasher
Roaster - heatray
Ranger - arty
Router - riot
Ravager
these are better imo

Reconsitutor-bad
all else fine but not perticulerly memorable.
all this descriptive names are fine but not really memorable nor hve much character.
what is memorable? peewee...Krogoth...Big bertha...
gameplay wise the names above are good, you can associate theyr function to the actual name.

but i got to agree with basic

TA has some great memorable names.

the best names in that list are:
Ravager
Recluse

these two are nice, and are sort of memorable. :wink:
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

That list was more to see if the theme "starts with R" is possible but there a few names I would like to use somewhere there.

I like a few of Neddie's names yet I don't like the overall theme of common low tech jobs and the names lack a clever link back to the unit function. Not all names need a clever link, many can be nicknames, but for job names the job should link to the unit.

For the vehicle lab I think agressor nouns is a decent theme. As Basic pointed out this theme can end up unmemorable and generic so we may not want to strictly stick to it.

How about this:
Mason
Tracker (Although Dart is a nice name too)
Slasher
Scorcher
Trapper (or Mincer?)
Levler (or Spanker :D ?)
Ravager
Ranger (I don't like this one much, a bit generic. Maybe Longbow)
Dominator
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

I like it so far, although I really want to save "Spanker" for a melee unit with a paddle.

I kind of liked Butcher as a leveler replacement, as it pretty much does butcher hordes of glaives and bandits. I also liked Router.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Why do names need to be associated with roles at all?
Its boring.
Why is everything so utilitarian in Zero-k? effects must express power unit sizes must express power,names must express role...
Nobody needs that,its too much and helps nothing aside from forcing oneself to call units not based on how cool or memorable the name is but on how well it describes the supposed unit role..
scifi

Post by scifi »

well you can aproach this in so many ways, that its unthinkable to spend time in it.

You cant take the starcraft aproach since starcraft has fewer units than BA or Zero-k for that mater.

Starcraft has the advantage to have few units and memorizable units.
main army unit usage
STALKER-
ZEALOT-
SENTRYS-

since you have like 7 units per factory, google is rigth.

Some degree of memorization is required, but dont spend to mutch time getting names started by R or the same as the factory.

just get some cool memorizable names that somewhat associate with the unit function (but dont overreact :D).

the list you showed is nice, get some variation and its good.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Oh, just because it isn't clear doesn't mean it isn't clever!

They do link back to the roles, just inconsistently. We're working with a limited period vocabulary, and while I could have used more obscure terms, they wouldn't hold up as well. Similarly, I tried to keep the theme throughout the set, though I could improve that.

Some of the associations are direct; Tracker - Scout, Hunter - Raider. Others are a little round about; I chose Falconer for the Anti-Air/Ranged Support because the Falcon provides more physical reach than a conventional weapon, and the reference to the bird clarifies the association with flight. The assignment of Skinner and Butcher take into account the implied amount and sophistication of work - the skinner works through large numbers of carcasses, producing skinned meat, untanned hide and untreated fur. In contrast, the butcher focuses on skinned carcasses, seeking to extract usable and attractive portions of meat for consumption. Correspondingly, the Riot is supposed to handle more units with less attention, while the Assault brings concentrated force to bear.

Tracker through Butcher also imply a lineage of roles clustered around the activity of hunting. Trapper might be a good substitute for Weaver, but that would make Minstrel and Mason the odd women out, and (Dream)weaver was already well received. Mason could become Armourer or Fletcher - these are both productive roles in the theme - but neither is as individually fitting. I chose Minstrel because the long range missile launcher is a projection of force and music in the period is an expensive projection of knowledge and thus power, but perhaps that could be the Archer. The minelayer is as much a Trapper as the capture unit...

Anyway, maybe this is a better set - I'd probably change more or include more options, but I only have few minutes here and there to spare;

Mason/Armourer - Constructor
Tracker - Scout
Falconer/Archer - Anti-Air/Ranged
Hunter - Raider
Trapper - Minelayer
Skinner - Riot
Butcher - Assault
Archer/Falconer - Long-Range Support
Weaver/Trainer - Capture

I hope you can find a good solution soon enough. I agree that this particular theme is perhaps more suited to a bot factory.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Sound more like WoW skills than names for units in a robot war game, no offense intended.
I can totally imagine playing with a tauran druid and picking any one of those as one of my skills...

@Scifi
I think in Starcraft's case those names fit better cause of the storyline and the factions themselves and how they are portrayed.
I mean "marine" or "tank" make sense for a race called terran and stalker fits a race of semi rleigious high tech aliens like the protoss.
Zergs have very interesting and unusual names on the other hand...
zergling...ultrlisk hydralisk etc...
Last edited by Gota on 10 Jan 2011, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Gota

Post by Gota »

I like some of Jizcash's names.
Like "Duke" or "mincer"
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Meh, I'm not really interested in the discussion if it's just going to be a bunch of various action-verb-er. names that pretty much describe it's job.

I mean, I know not everybody agrees with my suggestion of celbrating OTA silly names, of course, but strictly "how I kill you" names are pretty dull too.

Imho, take a hint from Transformers. Look at the original transformer names - they all had names that had only the vaguest relation to their form or function - usually just named after some tiny mechanical part. What did they call a jeep? Rollbar. An ambulance/mechanic? Ratchet. An old war veteran van? Ironhide. The guy who could cloak? Mirage. Another jeep who made holograms? Hound. Of course, iirc they brought Marvel Comics in to help them with American names and stuff, and Marvel had been in the business of making up characters for a long, long time.

You don't have to name it "longrangeshooter".
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

Srs, name a high-power strike unit spanker, like the atomic bomber or some heavy mech. And you don't always have to be extremely formal or use long words. Using names that are easily understood will make them more memorable, and make the game easier to learn for newbies anyway.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Pxtl wrote:Meh, I'm not really interested in the discussion if it's just going to be a bunch of various action-verb-er. names that pretty much describe it's job.

I mean, I know not everybody agrees with my suggestion of celbrating OTA silly names, of course, but strictly "how I kill you" names are pretty dull too.

Imho, take a hint from Transformers. Look at the original transformer names - they all had names that had only the vaguest relation to their form or function - usually just named after some tiny mechanical part. What did they call a jeep? Rollbar. An ambulance/mechanic? Ratchet. An old war veteran van? Ironhide. The guy who could cloak? Mirage. Another jeep who made holograms? Hound. Of course, iirc they brought Marvel Comics in to help them with American names and stuff, and Marvel had been in the business of making up characters for a long, long time.

You don't have to name it "longrangeshooter".
I 100% agree Pxtl, actually thats why I started this thread in the first place, was because to get the creative juices flowing with input from a lot of people, and hopefully work out some great names. As far as this thread has gone though, we might just end up using something like

weasel -> peeping tom
instigator -> pervert
slasher -> molestor
wolverine -> tainter
leveler -> raper
ravager -> ravager
merl -> violator
dreamweaver -> seducer

and thats what you guys will get if you let me rename them.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Nonono, Wolverine = glory hole.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Sexah names...
One correction...Lever should be called fudge packer.

Return to “Zero-K”