Boost Rushing - Page 5

Boost Rushing

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

luckywaldo7

Re: Boost Rushing

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Pxtl wrote:1) For game ends it's an easy target. Scout it once and you know where it is.
CA is never played com ends. What would be the point, you don't need to discourage combombing.
Pxtl wrote:2) You have to give it a huge nano-range to cap the nearby mexes, and then it can be a powerful repair-gizmo for a radius around your base and will seriously discourage raiding. This is both pro and con.
You don't need to give it high range. Build a factory and make regular cons to expand.
Pxtl wrote:3) During late-game you can't use the mobile d-gun thing.
Com lost its morph to get dgun anyway.
Pxtl wrote:But yeah - just no atlas-transporting comm will solve most offensive comm problems.
Not on small maps, Saktoth probably brought this up because it happens in 1v1 also. Not to mention Blue Bend-style maps.
Edible wrote:Regrets idea seems great, though it wont always lead to compush, having it assist your fac seems just as viable (early skirm spam > Compush) though that is something to watch out for.
Why bother having your com assist your fac? You start with no resources, and the little you gain while setting up your base can easily be burned off by the hover con. You do not have nearly the resource income to justify that much extra buildpower in your base, when it could be used to advance territory immediately.
luckywaldo7 wrote:static commander
You seem to have forgotten about the modular commanders.
Edible

Post by Edible »

luckywaldo7 wrote:Why bother having your com assist your fac? You start with no resources, and the little you gain while setting up your base can easily be burned off by the hover con. You do not have nearly the resource income to justify that much extra buildpower in your base, when it could be used to advance territory immediately.
Hmm yeah true, disregard my point then.

Though I do think it can be made to work.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Sorry if the idea has already been said, but I've read the topic and didn't see it.

About boost rushing, why not make boost decrease slowly when your commander move?
So you still have 90% of your boost if don't move to much and if you chose to run across the map, only 10-20% of your boost will be remaining.

It's a solution like the territorial boost restriction, but I found it more elegant and intuitive.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Torrasque wrote:Sorry if the idea has already been said, but I've read the topic and didn't see it.

About boost rushing, why not make boost decrease slowly when your commander move?
So you still have 90% of your boost if don't move to much and if you chose to run across the map, only 10-20% of your boost will be remaining.

It's a solution like the territorial boost restriction, but I found it more elegant and intuitive.
If a map places player A at x distance from his first mex and player B at 2x distance, player B has a slight disadvantage in time. With your suggestion, you've created a disadvantage in metal as well and worsened the situation.

The best advantage of a mobile commander imo is to minimize slightly disadvantageous start positions, be they the fault of the map starting position or errors in startboxes or player choices. There are other pros and cons but this is the most notable one to me. Your solution would nullify this benefit.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Playing non shitty maps makes that a non issue though
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

One of the core goals of CA was that it should run on all maps that were designed to play well with BA. BA does not require a perfectly even spacing between the metal patches at the start points, therefore the maps don't have this feature.

So this idea, while good, won't happen.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

CarRepairer wrote:be they the fault of the map starting position or errors in startboxes or player choices.
It's not always the map's fault. Such mistakes are not gameplay mistakes but setup mistakes (or noob error) and should not penalize players which in turn ruins games.

The idea is essentially deterring moving your commander. If we wanted to we'd just make him immobile in the first place. The issue is complex with too many variables, but I do agree that using boost to drop weapons in an opponent's base is not what our intent should be and a solution should be found.
knorke

Post by knorke »

maybe boosted buildings should not be build like normal but drop from space. It also seem more understandable than the boost answering the noobs "why does buildings suddendly take so long" confusion.
Would block some tactics though like halfboosting something than finishing it with normal nano.
If you can drop buildings in a radious around your commander (around your startpoint?) bases can be set up even faster because walking the com is not nessecary.
And give commanders something that shots down dropping buildings. 8)
= can not boost/drop near enemy commanders
Baracus

Post by Baracus »

Drop your com from space as well if the game starts with an awsome effect -> some effect like the sumo when it lands

Knorke: wouldnt it be cool if building get little parachuts?
ofc on a moonmap/nonatmospheric map that wouldnt make any sense, but still (transports perhaps?)

if you would have like a boost spawn circle with dropping building, + the awsomeness of POOF! hello I Am The Commander! (replace comgate with jumping->landing sumo effect*)

or the comgate effect for all boosted building?

what would you do with boosted units?
Or would the boost be only for buildings?

ps. Check out niobiums Initial build-q wigdet, might be awsome to add in CA
Horazont

Post by Horazont »

Pxtl wrote:If you want to be really fancy, you could somehow limit a mobile comm to a small area. Say the comm is 2-parts - an unarmed, non-building tower and a slow gunship that refuses any orders outside of a fixed radius from the tower - it's tethered by an energy-beam. You can build more towers (comm pylons) but they're 500 each and the comm won't jump gaps in pylons. If you lose your last tower, the comm-ship dies. This would also encourage bringing AA on offensive missions.
That sounds pretty awesome.
knorke wrote:maybe boosted buildings should not be build like normal but drop from space. It also seem more understandable than the boost answering the noobs "why does buildings suddendly take so long" confusion.
Would block some tactics though like halfboosting something than finishing it with normal nano.
If you can drop buildings in a radious around your commander (around your startpoint?) bases can be set up even faster because walking the com is not nessecary.
And give commanders something that shots down dropping buildings. 8)
= can not boost/drop near enemy commanders
That does too for me. Instead of a gun which shoots the buildings down, one could also think about something like "cannot build so close to an enemy commander"

greetings
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

On the one hand, I like adding a drawback to boost - some moment of "it's under construction, but it'll be a minute". Making boosted buildings suffer from an asynchronous construction lag instead of being a blocking action might be the best of both worlds - you plonk a full base, but you have to wait like 10 seconds before it's all active.... defensively that's harmless, but offensively that's killer.

But it creates two problems. First is the comm suddenly has a reason to want to build something conventionally instead of boosting it, which means you need a way to control that. Say player is BD-rushed and comm has enough resources to build a Razor, and has a nanotower nearby. Well, if he has to wait for the Razor to deploy, it's useless. But if he and the nano build the Razor on the spot, they'll last long enough to complete it. Obviously he wants to build, not boost.... but that's a contrived example. Either way, if there's a substantial downside to boost-over-build, then you'll see frustration at "dammmit, I needed to build instead of boost! Stupid mod won't let me choose building instead of boosting!"

Second problem is that it would slow down the start... the whole reason for boost.
Baracus

Post by Baracus »

That does too for me. Instead of a gun which shoots the buildings down, one could also think about something like "cannot build so close to an enemy commander"
No that wouldnt solve it, say a com droppes on you? you cant build next to him ;)
knorke

Post by knorke »

but neither can he.
HeadHunter

Post by HeadHunter »

Baracus wrote:Drop your com from space as well if the game starts with an awsome effect -> some effect like the sumo when it lands

Knorke: wouldnt it be cool if building get little parachuts?
ofc on a moonmap/nonatmospheric map that wouldnt make any sense, but still (transports perhaps?)

if you would have like a boost spawn circle with dropping building, + the awsomeness of POOF! hello I Am The Commander! (replace comgate with jumping->landing sumo effect*)

or the comgate effect for all boosted building?

what would you do with boosted units?
Or would the boost be only for buildings?

ps. Check out niobiums Initial build-q wigdet, might be awsome to add in CA
-1 to orbital drop (that would make it lame since that would imply that there is a bunch of hostile spaceships over a very limited terrain)
+1 to comgate effect (especially since its easier).
So - com gates in and can gate in some cost of building in a very limited time, but OUTSIDE enemy radar coverage. That makes for all problems (normal people start with radar AFAIK), and also makes enemy com a walking anti-boost. Good luck implementing=)
Skasi

Post by Skasi »

Back to topic: Stuff you can boostrush just needs to have higher requirements regarding supply/support. Eg. increasing Ecost to power LLTs. The new "must connect some things to grid"-feature does exactly that, I think. It just has to be used for simple things like LLT too, which would suck since you could just attack the solar generator (to disable it, as it closes) next to a forward LLT to disable it, but that's just a new problem which has to be solved. Um, wait.. I miss boost-rush. Nobody does that anymore!
HeadHunter

Post by HeadHunter »

Skasi wrote:I miss boost-rush. Nobody does that anymore!
Hell yeah... Sad... Though it's better this way.

Return to “Zero-K”