Get rid of the OTA commanders - Page 2

Get rid of the OTA commanders

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Re: Get rid of the OTA commanders

Post by Saktoth »

The textures are fine bob! The units look really good in game. There are a few things that could be done, like giving them stornger highlights/shadows, and a base metal texture, but these are easy to add onto the work you already have.

We're even adding upgrades and custom abilities and stuff, so the units are even being used as intended (sort of...).

We would love for you to make some more models!
ca nightmare returns ;_;
The only balance change since 1.2 has been puppy goo, and energy link radius's were reduced, and the storage was unified into one building and given a pylon radius. The Valkyrie got a buff.... wolverine mine is a bit different to try and hunt down a bug... this is hardly earth shattering.

Dont freak out. 90% of the changes are to gui and such. Compared to the changeover from CA to ZK... if you can adapt to that, you can adapt to these minor tweaks. Though you can expect some more changes to come- Spider bots dont have a complete lineup, and will probably get another raider, and such.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

WTF is puppy goo?

Also, I still have no idea what the pylons and transmission nodes do in the new overdrive system. Are they just small and large overdrive pylons?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Inspired by the grey goo concept, puppies will now automagically replicate with wrecks.

And, er, nodes? I don't think nodes exist anymore. Mexes overdrive only with energy linked to their energy grid. All energy structures provide varying ammount of grid area; energy pylon also provides just grid area for transmitting energy over longer distances.
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

bobthedinosaur wrote:those middle 2 are my models. :P Hell I might get drunk enough in the coming weeks to make some replacements, problem is i suck at texturing and people don't like texturing other people's junk.
The middle two are missing ambient occlusion shading, which makes them look flat and cartoony. Well, model 2 has some AO, but model 3 has none.

A good way to texture is to make a hi-poly model, and then bake the details onto a low-poly model. It saves a whole lot of drawing work, and ambient occlusion is a fairly universal lighting phenomenon because it is caused by scattered light.

I looked around... does spring support tangent space normal mapping? I kind of saw some indications yes, but no definitive answer.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

NeOmega wrote:
bobthedinosaur wrote:those middle 2 are my models. :P Hell I might get drunk enough in the coming weeks to make some replacements, problem is i suck at texturing and people don't like texturing other people's junk.
The middle two are missing ambient occlusion shading, which makes them look flat and cartoony. Well, model 2 has some AO, but model 3 has none.

A good way to texture is to make a hi-poly model, and then bake the details onto a low-poly model. It saves a whole lot of drawing work, and ambient occlusion is a fairly universal lighting phenomenon because it is caused by scattered light.

I looked around... does spring support tangent space normal mapping? I kind of saw some indications yes, but no definitive answer.
I actually did AO bakes for some of Bob's models. Bob, if you want me to bake the 2 CA ones, just send them over. :wink:

About TS normalmapping: spring doesn't support that feature by default, but jK (or was it Kloot? I don't remember) wrote a Luashader that allows us to use normalmaps.
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

MidKnight wrote: About TS normalmapping: spring doesn't support that feature by default, but jK (or was it Kloot? I don't remember) wrote a Luashader that allows us to use normalmaps.
unfortunately, I don't think you can bake normal maps, you have to hand draw them, unless you meant TSNM.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

NeOmega wrote:
MidKnight wrote: About TS normalmapping: spring doesn't support that feature by default, but jK (or was it Kloot? I don't remember) wrote a Luashader that allows us to use normalmaps.
unfortunately, I don't think you can bake normal maps, you have to hand draw them, unless you meant TSNM.
Wait, what?
For the life of me, I can't make heads of tails of what you said.
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

MidKnight wrote:
NeOmega wrote:
Wait, what?
For the life of me, I can't make heads of tails of what you said.
normal mapping is grayscale, tangent space normal mapping (TSNM) is that lavender/rainbow colored map. baking normal mapping from a high poly onto a low poly model is impossible, isn't it? You have to hand paint the normals, but the beauty of TSNM is you can bake it on.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

I never said anything about baking normal maps. :?
My initial post covered two topics: baking Ambient Occlusion (a form of procedural shading) and whether or not Spring supports TSNM.

And, sure, you can bake normalmaps from a highpoly model to either a black/white or a TAS texture, for use on a lower-poly model; people do it all the time!

I hope that helped. :-)
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

NeOmega, you should totally do that.

Return to “Zero-K”