BA model replacements - Page 9

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Mr. Bob

Re: BA model replacements

Post by Mr. Bob »

So, all the defense towers are done, except for the doomsday machine which will require...thought. Also not including the economic towers. (Laser metal extractor etc) Also, all the intel structures are done.

The new ones in this pic are on the last row.

Cobra (New model!)
Dragons Maw
Dragons Teeth
Thunderbolt
Pulverizer Naval version
Advanced Torpedo launcher
Torpedo launcher
Eradicator (The design will make a lot more sense when textured.)

The scaling may be way off on some models, but that can be fixed later.

The image is quite large so be sure and blow it up....puns are fun...

EDIT: Whoops looks like a forgot some intel and walls. I'll get on that.

EDIT: And apparently, I forgot to render the cobra naval version. Its basically just the same turret with floaties. You get the idea.
Attachments
Tada5_mr Shader Element.png
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by Mr. Bob on 09 Dec 2010, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

What's the eradicator? For a minute I thought I was being dumb and just forgetting the name, but I looked it up and there's no unit in BA called the eradicator. Different mod or bonus unit or what? Also, what's the unit on the far right of the front row?

Otherwise, they all look awesome. Love the floating HLT.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Great stuff!
Eradicator is bomb resistant medium range missile battery. Equivalient of chainsaw.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Hobo Joe wrote:Also, what's the unit on the far right of the front row?
The eradicator. :D
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Beherith wrote:Great stuff!
Eradicator is bomb resistant medium range missile battery. Equivalient of chainsaw.

Oh right, they're always called by the same name (they look basically the same) so I forgot about that. I'm dumb ignore me. >_>

So I'm guessing it's a pop-up building, what does it look like open? Otherwise I'm confused.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Hobo Joe wrote:
Beherith wrote:Great stuff!

Oh right, they're always called by the same name (they look basically the same) so I forgot about that. I'm dumb ignore me. >_>

So I'm guessing it's a pop-up building, what does it look like open? Otherwise I'm confused.
Not a pop up. It will probably make a lot more sense when the texture is on it. Basically, it is a very heavily armored missile turret, so it looks well...armored.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

The lineup looks great, very stylish, but height vs base size is a balance matter, and in some ways these dont reflect the units ingame:
For example, the llt is actually taller than the pulverizer, and the flak turret has the same base size as the LLT.

Now, these points may be negotiable just so that it makes a little more sense aesthetically (the flak costs 10x as much as the llt and as 3x the hp, but is half the height), i suppose you would have to ask TFC about that. But something like LLT height is a major balance factor.
pyra

Post by pyra »

corfast preview.jpg
(92.19 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
thats the new combat engineer leg.
the hips need reinforcing which hasnt been done yet. 789 polys
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

wow.. it even leans to one side cause it is heavier on the other.. awesome! i really like such stuff! :D
even if it would not make sense technically/physically in some other way, such details make you forget/overlook that.
pyra

Post by pyra »

yeah. it should stand normally like that and when it dies, it should just give in and collapse on the heavy side. i dont know how good your animators/scripters are but thats how i would do it.
d-gun

Post by d-gun »

put those in a nice td style game

nvm this ba mod
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

hoijui wrote:wow.. it even leans to one side cause it is heavier on the other.. awesome!
Problem being, the opposite side looks much heavier.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@Saktoth - I honestly would prefer it if the flak cannon was given a base size that reflects it's cost and power, but you're quite right that a "model replacement" initiative shouldn't be including those kinds of gameplay changes. Taller LLT is a must.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Oh, about the llt towers, I actually made those quite a bit taller, I just forgot to put them in that render file. hehe. Anyway, I'll put those in there after I finish the intel and defense towers I missed. (Some time tonight.) I'll fix the tier 1 radar to be taller as well.
pyra

Post by pyra »

Jazcash wrote:
hoijui wrote:wow.. it even leans to one side cause it is heavier on the other.. awesome!
Problem being, the opposite side looks much heavier.
if i let it droop on the heavy side, the weight would topple it over. however, if it leans to the other side, you pull it close to the other side, keeping the weight more centred as well as giving more counterweight to balance it out even further.
http://www.gamefront.nl/images/tf2_trad ... _heavy.jpg
http://www.andrewhou.com/portfolio/nora ... _small.jpg
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

But robots wouldn't be built with such imbalances. >_>
smoth

Post by smoth »

Mr. Bob wrote: Image
very nice
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

dunno if someone mentioned it but llts are very thin (smallest base out of all ba units, well except mines) dunno if u care
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

More exactly that the footprint should be small, so it can be placed to tight spots. Thinness outside that isn't as critical other than for esthetics.

3 things (at least) to consider, if it a unit will play the same as original:
turret placement (mostly height, but also how far from the center it is horizontally)
footprint
hitsphere, both where it's centered and the radius

But a lot of that can be managed by just changing height:width ratio of the unit, and size, and hitsphere doesnt need to be totally exact fit for the model though.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

I'm really liking these models. You guys are really good. :-)

As a point of personal interest, where'd you guys learn to model/texture and hone your skills? I want to know how you learned how to make awesome beasts like these! :P

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”