BA model replacements - Page 5

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

1v0ry_k1ng

Re: BA model replacements

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

cobra looks OK but I think its a little front heavy, the gun barrels could do with starting further back
Gota

Post by Gota »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:cobra looks OK but I think its a little front heavy, the gun barrels could do with starting further back
I agree though i just made the barrels shorter in SA.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

They look awesome, but intimidator is kinda small in comparison to the other turrets. It's a LRPC so it should be pretty huge.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

well a lot of the sizes are different, than what they used to/should be, I assumed they're not final sizes? It's pretty important, if you want to retain gameplay at least, to see what can shoot over what etc.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Ya, I had to scale the buzzsaw and the intimidator down so it would fit in the render.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

are u going to release 3d models first or only textured one ? 8)
pyra

Post by pyra »

thank you Beherith, for the pic.
Looks like i will fill whatever space left with the details i see on the pic
Last edited by pyra on 07 Dec 2010, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I highly recommend you stamp from the textures in this thread (the models and textures can be downloaded by clicking on them)
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... re+remakes
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

pyra wrote:Is there a decent sized picture of CA stuff? I really couldnt find any. it would be appreciated cos i want to know what we are "competing" against here. It will also be a good motivation for me to do better texture if necessary.
btw i suggest u just play ca/zero-k (original idea, eh?) if u plan to make similar textures to these already done. its not only my opinion that ca models look ... well, lets call it 'different' when unzoomed (i mean distance at which u spend most of the time during the game). anyway, again, lot of sex :P
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

So I was playing around with this texture, and I decided to wrap one so you guys can get a better feel for what we are looking for.

The idea here is to make a texture that will read very well from a distance, and allow you to know exactly what unit it is.

As for all the CA stuff, the biggest problem I have with those is that they don't read well from distances, and the textures are sort of 'icky'. It looks detailed way up close, but from a distance, it sort of looks like a tank took a stroll through a really muddy swamp.

Can't wait till I get my hands on a normal map. :D
Attachments
Springpic4.png
(733.86 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by Mr. Bob on 07 Dec 2010, 07:09, edited 5 times in total.
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

Wombat

Post by Wombat »

yep, i totally agree about CA, thats why i suggested it.

and i love this text, just begs to be new w40k marine building :D luv this style.

sadly, most comments here will be 'but, but it doesnt fit rest of the models!'

i see small problems with unwrap scale here (base seems to be out of scale compared to turret for example, or im wrong ?
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

sadly, most comments here will be 'but, but it doesnt fit rest of the models!'
Thus we shall make all of them! :D
i see small problems with unwrap scale here (base seems to be out of scale compared to turret for example, or im wrong ?
Hmm your right. Keep in mind though, the view of the closest you can get to the base and still see the model properly, is roughly the same size as the piece of texture used on it. And, since the only comparable piece of texture on the base is the bolts, and they are sort of obscured, in game it shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT:

Whoops I forgot to answer this:
are u going to release 3d models first or only textured one ?
Well, we plan on making all 368 meshes first, and then applying textures to them in batches. Then we'll go ahead and do a massive release.
Last edited by Mr. Bob on 07 Dec 2010, 04:03, edited 2 times in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Thus we shall make all of them!
lolwut ? u know there are t1, t2 kbots and veh ready? also many buildings. i dont think there is any point. (or it was internet sarcasm trap? :D)

@scale, im happy u dont care, u are right :) tho base could use some line, detail which would make grey part (middle one) of base smoothly change into red part (at the edges).

my suggestion - remake arm ? GMN remakes arm t1 veh, so far 3 tanks ready. maybe this would be better idea so ur time is not wasted ? (tho, would be sad to just leave these models like this :( )
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Wombat wrote:
Thus we shall make all of them!
lolwut ? u know there are t1, t2 kbots and veh ready? also many buildings. i dont think there is any point. (or it was internet sarcasm trap? :D)
Wasn't sarcasm. You'd be surprised at how fast we can make these models.
my suggestion - remake arm ? GMN remakes arm t1 veh, so far 3 tanks ready. maybe this would be better idea so ur time is not wasted ? (tho, would be sad to just leave these models like this :( )
Our philosophy is, either make an entire set of models with one art style, or don't make them at all. Art styles should never be mixed, and being as there is still a very large portion of the 368 models left to make, it would be silly for us to try and train ourselves in someone else's style. Thus, there really is no way around it. For the next 2 or 3 months, we are going to be cranking out models at rapid speeds.
@scale, im happy u dont care, u are right :) tho base could use some line, detail which would make grey part (middle one) of base smoothly change into red part (at the edges).
EDIT: Fixed. And updated the pic
Last edited by Mr. Bob on 07 Dec 2010, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

no,no, i didnt mean that u should follow someones style, i gave GMN example to show that nobody remakes arm :/ all remakes are core >> problem is, if u make core, spring will end with 2 sets of core models and TA'ish arm. what means basicly that only CA benefits, rest remains the same (shitty). if u remake arm... well... spring will end with a possibility to remove *Annihilation from its vocabulary and nobody will say that 'spring looks fugly' again. anyway, whatever u do, keep doing it, i just jizz at everything that reminds me GW even a bit ^^ keep tingle my G-spot

*pic fails for me
pyra

Post by pyra »

I paint miniatures(or at least started), hence why the texture looks so GW, so to speak. ive been painting orks lately and i thought that the same style to paint metal ork would be good here.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

used to do same years ago with lizards and eldars ;)
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Just wanna say that looks awesome, and I love your view on not mixing art styles cause that's exactly the way I see it.

Also, very very glad you're putting distance readability before close-up prettiness, that's always been the biggest problem with the majority of spring models.

Keep it up guys. :D
pyra

Post by pyra »

bump3.jpg
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
ok the normal map is done. I am just waiting mr bob to get online so he can take the normal map off me. and soon enough, you can see what the thing looks like with bump. Specular will come very soon

after that, i need to get making ARM textures, normal and specular.
from the sound of it, it is the ARM section that desperately needs a make-over. we'll decide on what exact style the models will be fairly soon.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”