Pylons & Energy feedback

Pylons & Energy feedback

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

1v0ry_k1ng

Pylons & Energy feedback

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

at the risk of angering everyone, I think that pylon & energy field system is wholly overcomplicated and needless.
Pxtl

Re: Get rid of the OTA commanders

Post by Pxtl »

No, I like the energy-web system... I was just confused why they re-added the old Pylon into the energy web. Makes sense as transmission-only, but I liked the fact that building a Fus was a 1-step action to overdrive 3 mexes.
Gota

Post by Gota »

How should the economy work eventually, when it's finished?
Kron

Post by Kron »

I think the energy grid system is for two reasons:
  • Localizing economy. This way players can't drop mexes here, power there, metal-makers back there... they have to network in order to optimize their base.
  • Force territory expansion. With the metal-maker system, either metal makers are useless in end game or the dominant strategy; it's like trying to find the maxima of a slope. With the energy grid, they can force a diseconomy of scale upon players where investing further leads to lower and lower rewards... forcing players to expand.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Yes, with OD system its always better to have more mexes.

Grid effect is to reduce OD to smaller land. Because if its spread over all mexes, game becomes too sensitive to mex count due to diminishing nature of OD.

Basically if its on all mexes, the more of them you have (the less energy/mex) , the more sensitive you are to the loss of few border ones.

This was original reason why we came with grid system (on top of preexisting OD which addresses issue 2). We wanted to make economy more localized and make sort of "dead land" where losing mexes wont hurt your economy a lot so it does not lead to massive slippery slope.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

And OD itself also serves another important role - it puts breaks on exponential growth of economy. Its designed so that normally economic growth is close to linear.

We don't want exponential growth becasue it greatly amplifies small initial differences and freak accidents. Just few second delay and small difference in eco investing at one point can lead to huge differences later on - or small bonus in metal can be amplified greatly after few minutes resulting in economic dominance and victory due to small initial condition difference.

We are trying to make mid-game when the forces are balanced and winner is unclear - as long as possible, with common turn-overs and changes in dominance.

Return to “Zero-K”