*New Map* Seth's Ravine - Page 2

*New Map* Seth's Ravine

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Beherith

Re: *New Map* Seth's Ravine

Post by Beherith »

Solid archive makes for long loading times in lobbies. This is especially problematic on large maps.

I love the map, and would like to apologize to Artturi for not completing my promised share of the final map, and would like to thank him for his patience along the process.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i love the map

thanks for giving me a chance to contribute! very rewarding.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Yea thanks for your contribution.

Anyway these has been wished for next release:

-Fog enabled/disabled clients side as a widget (Dunno how to do this though)
-Slightly less metal spots and metal income. Make them more scattered. (You could make a sketch how you want them and suggest what would be optimal default income)
-Latest metal patch placer
-Non-Solid archive

Any other suggestions?

-Unfortunately I cant see how the featureplacement can be enabled/disabled clientside as they are part of the gameplay.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Sorry it looks a bit rough its just a simple gimp edit.

I'v reduced the middle mexes number to help a team that did a bit worse at pushing at the start have a better chance at a comeback.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

the 1.6 m/mex felt good to play at, maybe make that the default?

No stance on basics suggestion, both it and the current 1 have their merits... Lower mex income already makes it less crippling to not get them early though.

But I would spread the 8 mexes on starting hills a bit, to make them harder to bomb and bit slower to make cause of walking time.

Also mexradius might be better increased, for better fitting of t1&t2 mexes next to eachother. Though this makes also enemy mex placement more unpredictable -> harder to bomb.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

just plz dont make fog or any weather feature 'on' as default
smoth

Post by smoth »

Wombat wrote:just plz dont make fog or any weather feature 'on' as default
oh and while you are at it make an option to have no map texture at all because it is too taxing.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Johannes wrote:the 1.6 m/mex felt good to play at, maybe make that the default?

No stance on basics suggestion, both it and the current 1 have their merits... Lower mex income already makes it less crippling to not get them early though.

But I would spread the 8 mexes on starting hills a bit, to make them harder to bomb and bit slower to make cause of walking time.

Also mexradius might be better increased, for better fitting of t1&t2 mexes next to eachother. Though this makes also enemy mex placement more unpredictable -> harder to bomb.
TBH i think both aesthetically and gameplay wise a mex that fits exactly on the patch is the best choice without any extra radius.
The placing of mexes on this map is easy anyway since they are all grouped.
I think extraction should be the size of the t1 mex and the metal spots need to be a bit smaller.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

I'm behind weather on by default (as long as it's tailored to the map, and not just tacked on).
We want people seeing the best of the map on first run. Plus, it's unsynced; you can disable it if you can't handle it, why stop everybody else's fun?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

how can i disable fog/weather ?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Disable luashaders in springsettings if you cant handle them.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i dont like word 'handle'. i can run crysis without any problems, u just all hate ATI :C
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

When my mouse and the majority of my view is focussed on the land and on the actual gameplay part of the map, I get 180 FPS. When I zoom out a bit, and move my cursor over the fog, the cursor slows right down and lags behind, it's quite funny to play with. Also, this causes me to get 40~ FPS instead of 180.

This was on BA with very low gfx settings with Mutlithreading enabled.
Gota

Post by Gota »

I also think ATI card ATM have a problem with the fog as it is currently generated thought it might be broken for nvidia too.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

solid means, you have to extract the whole archive to get to one file.
so if the engine or unitsync for example wants to read the smd, it needs to extract the whole archive. now imagine unitsync scanning your 5GB maps folder with all of them being LZMA solid archives.
i personally would never use solid for anything that is being released. there is simply too little benefit for the possible problems it can cause.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Beherith wrote:Disable luashaders in springsettings if you cant handle them.
I get fog even with LuaShaders disabled.
Edit: Enabling LuaShaders gives me a nice performance boost, FPS nearly doubled when fog is on.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Awesome map...Gameplay on it is awesome,texture is awesome..
If there was just a way to fix the fog that causes lag spikes(or is it the features)..
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Hm well if it's SA you're playing, I would examine if it's not there the fault lies. I got lag spikes playing SA U71 on DSD. Profiler widget might reveal something.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Yes...you are right its not the maps fault(probably).
When we played on Seth's that time it was cause of a certain player(it seems at least atm that he causes same thing on other maps and its cause of a widget he had on by default cause he didnt have chance to shut it down in SA)..we found out and think we know why it happens.
Need to test it again but i think your right cheese.
Just came here to write it and saw your post.

Anyway I think this map rules and proves that chocky maps can also be awesome(oh wait 8v8 dsd is most played map in spring).

I still want to suggest to reduce metal values to the following values: 1.4 as default 1.0 as minimal and 2.0 as max.
Also IMO the lower levels should not have more than 2-3 metal patches.
the 6(3 on every side) metal spots neat the center low ground need to be completely removed and some other mexes taken away from other middle patch areas(the amount of metal on the map is a bit too much and imo the center is the best place to take metal out of atm).

Also imo Johan's advice was good about the starting metal spots, scatter them just a bit, so you have to walk between them, just to make the start a bit different form game to game, as oppose to just always taking all the mexes before making a lab.

Another thing is IMO reduce the metal dot size.

The following, is a neatpicky aesthetic suggestion for you to consider if your gonna make v2, make the extraction size of metal extractors only as big as the spots themselves would make it look nice as oppose to having metal patches in one place and extractors just on the ground without any patches under them,its comfortable i know but looks a bit unprofessional and on this map placing mexes is much easier cause most metal patches are grouped.

one final note can u accentuate metal patche color just a bit?people seem to not always see them during battle on the map.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Gota wrote: The following, is a neatpicky aesthetic suggestion for you to consider if your gonna make v2, make the extraction size of metal extractors only as big as the spots themselves would make it look nice...
Thanks to carrepairer this doesn't matter in evo but jsut as a general rule of *A mapping, mex radius should never be below 100. If that covers multiple patches, the patches should be more spread out.

Return to “Map Releases”