Movie recommendation - Page 5

Movie recommendation

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SirArtturi

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by SirArtturi »

Machete234 wrote: Have it on dvd, very dark, athmospheric but it can be boring.
Solaris is also great but it made me fall asleep too.
I know, Tarkovski's movies are very difficult - they are art movies. For example: I didnt get "zerkalo" at all. But once you concentrate and turn your mood into philosopshical mode, you find truly amazing things from them.

They can be very frustrating and depressing indeed, but thats the essence of the films: they dont give you any straight answers. They just point out questions. You may have to keep in mind the background of Tarkovskis Soviet opression: Things can't be said straight. Symbolical level can overwhelm anyone, but the experience is something that you will remember forever...
KaiserJ wrote:nice artturi, some ones i havent seen

those were your fav polanski movies? for me, its chinatown all the way
Well, Le Locataire is imo a bit underrated movie. Ofc, most of the Polanski's movies are awesome. I just wanted to point out movies that some of the people may not have seen and which I see everyone should experience....
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

... well then you did a good job. cause im going to watch both of those again in your list, as well as some of the others i didnt see

i dont know what to make of that scott pilgrim movie, i was buzzed and only watched the first half but fun-trivia wise i played a show with my band in the opera house, which is where he fights the micheal jackson brown guy. also the whole movie seemed to be filmed in toronto neighbourhoods that i somewhat recognized (where he fights the vegan is a bar ive been to a gajillion times to see crappy bands, the place he fights the skateboarder guy is this haunted castle thing ive been to many times)

why didnt he just plow the small asian

i guess i'll find out tomorrow when i wake up and watch the rest
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

KaiserJ wrote:
i guess i'll find out tomorrow when i wake up and watch the rest
No you wont find that out.
Or yes I know why he didnt plow the asian because she cut her hair, total no go.
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

SirArtturi wrote: You may have to keep in mind the background of Tarkovskis Soviet opression: Things can't be said straight. Symbolical level can overwhelm anyone, but the experience is something that you will remember forever...
In the extras they said the ministry that you send your films to (film maker simply beeing employed by the state)
just "lost" the first copy.
So tarkovski hat to refilm to whole thing, what we have today is not the original.

I understand that anything slightly critic about the system had to be encoded in a way a censor wouldnt realise.
Panda wrote: Out of these movies, I've only seen Office Space and Fight Club. They were both good movies.
No big lebowsky, no being john malkovich?
You can be glad to have some films yet to discover.
Last edited by Machete234 on 13 Nov 2010, 21:29, edited 2 times in total.
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

but she was so cute :< and i closed my browser so i gotta start from scratch
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

Streamer! :x
But the cutenes suffered by 110% after she cut her hair shorter.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Machete234 wrote:
Panda wrote: Out of these movies, I've only seen Office Space and Fight Club. They were both good movies.
No big lebowsky, no being john malkovich?
You can be glad to have some films yet to discover.
:-) That is usually the case. And you?
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

The more good movies you discover the less are left :(
Panda

Post by Panda »

Machete234 wrote:The more good movies you discover the less are left :(
Aw, they'll always eventually make more good movies.
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

Youre very optimistic.
Dont you know in the past everything used to be better?
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

no but you're wrong

2000+ movies are made every year!

you'd have to be a real nutbar to watch all of them, and even were that the case, you'd end up being a cynical bastard

and yes kaiser, some of them are made in pakistan. but some of those paki flicks are pretty pro too!
Panda

Post by Panda »

Machete234 wrote:Youre very optimistic.
No, I'm pretty sure that it wasn't. A lot of older people either don't remember, don't want to tell you the relevant details as to why it wasn't, or don't know what to tell you.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

Cube

some headslappingly stupid paranoia but also unique, surprising and scarily awesome
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

momfreeek wrote:Cube

some headslappingly stupid paranoia but also unique, surprising and scarily awesome
"Cube┬▓ : Hypercube" made my brain hurt...

speaking about brain hurting, I add my encouragement to watch Pi

Also Re: Knives... I know you are speaking ironically but, ignoring that, the implication was that he was dating her because he wanted the comfortable (relative)-simplicity of high-school dating, when life wasn't so complicated.

That said, I totally want a "Team Knives" T-shirt

(Though if Stephanie Meyers had written this movie, Knives would have been the main character and she would have ended up dating Marrying-Scott and everyone would have been happy)
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

cube was awesome. hypercube was watchable, but seemed more like a bigger-budget remake of the original than something completely new... cube zero was awesome though, adds another twist to the tale

and idk. i would rather have kept the jailbait girl than gone after the new girl who is super bitchy and has so much emotional baggage. at least with the jailbait i would only have to fight her parents and/or older siblings.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

every scwarzenegger and stallone movie ever. Stuff like red heat and cobra
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

lol @ cube i find these movies totally stupid but amusing to watch at the same time. actors were great in my opinion

dunno how about u but i demand more Tarantino and Rodriguez. MACHEEETEEEE
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Panda wrote:
No, I'm pretty sure that it wasn't. A lot of older people either don't remember, don't want to tell you the relevant details as to why it wasn't, or don't know what to tell you.
Old stuff is better because everybody forgets about the crap made back then. With new movies it's harder to tell which are the good ones without seeing for yourself.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Johannes wrote:
Panda wrote:
Old stuff is better because everybody forgets about the crap made back then. With new movies it's harder to tell which are the good ones without seeing for yourself.

I have this unfortunate crossed wire in my brain that augments my perceived value of a movie based on the relative value of the money I payed to see (which also includes movies other people payed for me to see). I also tend to assign additional value to movies that I enjoyed watching due to factors outside of the movie itself.

For example, I saw water world in theaters twice when I was a kid with zero income, as such it's awesomeness in my mind is nearly infinite. In addition to this, the first time I saw it was with a cousin who is nearly my age and a good friend and we had the theater to ourselves and the second time with one of my best friends at the time.

I have, for similar reasons over the years liked AI, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Small Soldiers, The Harry Potter Movies and the Second Twilight movie.

Now, when I make recommendations that people watch a given movie I take this thing I know about myself into account but I will, occasionally, find my opinions biased beyond reason.

I'm not entirely sure why I just wrote all that but meh.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”