Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 338

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Re: Random WIP

Post by AF »

I think a dash through the middle would work even better coupled with desaturation. In a revamped UI Control we could place it near the build queue/buildoptions which would make it obvious via context.

We have to keep in mind that studies show icons on their own arent as great UI wise as we think, since people remember were text was in menus, but not where a button with just an icon is, not unless the two are coupled together.

http://uxmyths.com/post/715009009/myth- ... -usability
smoth

Post by smoth »

lol they are talking about desktop software with >40 icons.

I will redo the command bar when I have time but for now the icons stay. DEAL WITH IT. Don't try and steamroll what you want the ui to be AF, I appreciate feedback but you tend to be a little too assertive so I am saying this up front. If I do the ui in a way you personally don't like, I want you to step back and get over it, I do not want you raging at me like you did the other lobby devs.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

edit : its my new UI icon
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

That "icons vs text" thing is something I constantly rant about... and it's absurd that MS learned it with MS Office just in time to completely forget it in Windows 7's "superbar".
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Of course, the studies are impacted heavily by the artistic inconsistency between icons in any group, as they are seldom designed and produced by a single skilled artist.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

smoth wrote:lol they are talking about desktop software with >40 icons.

I will redo the command bar when I have time but for now the icons stay. DEAL WITH IT. Don't try and steamroll what you want the ui to be AF, I appreciate feedback but you tend to be a little too assertive so I am saying this up front. If I do the ui in a way you personally don't like, I want you to step back and get over it, I do not want you raging at me like you did the other lobby devs.
If I didnt like it I would say things that are touchy feely, soft words, words like 'feel' or 'like' or 'dislike'. Instead I used words of certainty and fact backed up by literature.

Recognize when one is arguing from research, not from personal taste. I'm not saying it to steam roll over your designs. I'm saying it because its a valid criticism with academic and real life consequences beyond personal preference.

Also realise that you always think I insist on it being done here and now. My responses are not egging you on to do it in such a way that FTL theorists gaze at you in awe, but rather answers to rebuttals and counter arguments.

Really, why everyone has to take my logical researched criticisms, and turn them into frenzied hurry up personal attacks, I have no idea. If I wanted you to hurry up I'd say so outright, and have done before, what makes this time any different...
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

...Sigh. You realise you're both drawing yourselves into an argument even if you try to be civil? Let the issue drop already; it's smoth's call and it's not like you can't make an edit of it yourself once it's out.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

KaiserJ wrote:Image

edit : its my new UI icon

Nice map, SC 2 Influenza was really positiv on the mapping comunity
smoth

Post by smoth »

Just the way you come across af. Nessie does research to and his info is just a valid as yours.

However, I will reject both and do what I feel is correct based on my thoughts. I reject your suggestions because you post them as absolutes. There is all kinds of research and studies. In the end one has to male a personal decision. So what you see as fact I may disagree with because of my own experience with users.

Don't like it? Too bad I am the one who has to code it and do the art for it. Think you can do better do it. I have 5 years on you so get started.

Responses like firestorm and pxtls have more use as they make actual suggestions instead of sweeping declarations of superior education or perspective. When you fail to acknowledge the perspectives of others and view your own experience as the only true one.

This is insulting to others and why people see it as a personal attack
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

KaiserJ wrote:Image

Last edited by luckywaldo7 on 08 Nov 2010, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

FireStorm_ wrote:Image
I'd do:
Repeat-on? Then light/glow of button on.
Repeat-off? Then light/glow of button off.
Or off makes light turn red, but if I'd do it like that, i would keep the icon, the explanatory symbol, the same.
It's better, but maybe repeat off state is too dim and the whole symbol is hard to figure out.

Other way, imo, would be making red arrows to state repeat off state...

On the issue AF pointed I think there is no bulletproof solution. But how I personally see and prefer is that current symbol declares the current state and clicking the symbol changes the state. It's the most logical way...
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kind of squat and dark due to SME being silly. I'm going for an urban map.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

FireStorm_ wrote:Image
I'd do:
Repeat-on? Then light/glow of button on.
Repeat-off? Then light/glow of button off.
Or off makes light turn red, but if I'd do it like that, i would keep the icon, the explanatory symbol, the same.

This, but make the arrows thicker and the darker one slightly less dark.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

XD yeh, watching a lot of starcraft vids recently

once the hieghtmap is final i'm gonna ask for some metal placement designs... its a FFA map, and i never made one of those before, and im fearful of doing a shit job with res distribution

those cylinders will probably be changed; lots more buildings to go in but they havent been textured yet

err i was thinking 7 way FFA, or is another similar number better (and missing from the ffa map arsenal)
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

like it. simple.
oksnoop2 wrote: Image
you could try one of these two. might look cool. (or might hurt the simple look )
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TIKZLZ2J

First true step to a ct urban map.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I tried doing various shades of dark green but then realized it is off so why not grey it out?

I like it, I just need to change the wait command color and make the wait icon the right color and I think shit will be cash.
maackey

Post by maackey »

Wish I commented earlier. The gray/green thing is what was done a while back for CA's state icons (except without text and the pretty border/gloss) could have saved some time from arguing about best way to do it :P

Imo text on icons is ugly and shapes/pictures are easily memorised. Its not a suggestion or anything, just what I feel.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I think I did a bunch of those icons. based some of them off some stuff jaz had as well.

I don't know pretty tired right now.

so you think greyed out icons is good idea for off state?
maackey

Post by maackey »

state icons are a bit different than the command? icons I guess.

But yeah I like gray for off, colored (green) for on.

Edit: fixed my white border icon background, wtf were you thinking ubuntu >:/

Return to “Art & Modelling”