Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 337

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Wombat

Re: Random WIP

Post by Wombat »

MC can smd *troll_face*
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Give it a troll face and and a big boom box (Rick Roll)
and it will be win
knorke

Post by knorke »

@wombat minecraft?

not so pretty to look at, but its my first ai all hail \o/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOtnOEOtVTM
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

Nice Knorke! They were working like a mostly well oiled machine!
smoth

Post by smoth »

something random.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Nice Icons, well thought trough colour scheme (although attack would be usually associated with red, you didnt break the cease&desist colourgroup which is red- still, orange would be better)
You did apply readable text, one of the most important things with icons (would they show shortcuts if you hover above them with the mouse? )

They are very glassy and futuristic, a little like I-Phone-Icons on a badge, with only the hold fire looking not glassy (although the effect is applied, its barely visible).

The biggest Contra-point one could raise is that round icons leave to much space, but designwise they are gold, so that contrapoint is invalid.

One last thing, people usually read from left to right, from up to down, so icons would have to be sorted after how many times they are used.
So right order would be:
Move, Patrol, Stop, Attack (people try to argue the Attack on second place, but lets face it, if you are under stress, and a noob without shortcuts, right, corner up is easier to find and pick,
Next row is unusuall situations Icons:
Guard, Wait, Repeat off, Hold Fire (and that i know is completely out of Category)
Third Row: Behaviours (and ppl usualy dont use them, because all they want is total controll, and stupid units to blame there lack off micro and A-Tactics on; C&C:Harvester and similar Civilians are a exception)
FIGHT(missleading for harass, because units without player usually dont get a good fight together anyway),
ROAM (used for scouts, so SCOUT)

[tl,dr;]I always wished for a reaction line tool in those behaviour boxes- you basically draw a line on the map with selected units, comanding them only to react or attack, if something crosses the line. Would make a great ambush tool by the way.[/tl,dr;]

Sorry i went off rambling about unrelated stuff, this icons are great work smoth, something usually only to be found in the productions of the big players. Hope i one day get so beautifull ones together. Until then.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

@knorke
looks better every time. :-)

@smoth
The icons lack consistency in art-style, in my opinion. Make em more gundam style somehow, witch i assume they are for.
I believe that is reasonable doable if desired. Something vaguely like this:

If I were allowed to give only one piece of advise however, I would say you should choose between icons or words. Now one of them is perhaps not redundant, but it does add some unnecessary chaos.

Last thing. some buttons are off/on buttons, witch could mean they have another state/image. Some icons seem not informative enough, but could make very good sense in combination witch their counterpart. (I would make the "repeat off" icon, just a "repeat on" with the brightness/glow absent.)
smoth

Post by smoth »

doing something like a mobile suit component would break consistency across federation/zeon ui. It would also be harder to read at 1024.

That is the reason I am going with generic shapes+text some icons do not use text:
(before I started fooling with the move/fire orders)
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Warrior IFV texture im working on, unlit diffuse.
thesleepless

Post by thesleepless »

Wolf-In-Exile wrote:Warrior IFV texture im working on, unlit diffuse.
wow wolf, that looks amazing! how much of that is texture and how much is model? can we see wireframe?
smoth

Post by smoth »

FireStorm_ wrote:(I would make the "repeat off" icon, just a "repeat on" with the brightness/glow absent.)
Is what I did for on/off buttons for repeat
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

How do you know its to turn off repeat if you dont remember? ( obviously smoth won't have this issue being dev extraordinaire ).

Also, does the green icon mean click to turn on repeat, or does it mean Repeat is turned on, click to turn off, aka does it signify what the current status is, or the action to be taken on click?
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:How do you know its to turn off repeat if you dont remember? ( obviously smoth won't have this issue being dev extraordinaire ).
How did you know before? all it said was repeat off with a little box underneath.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

trial and error
smoth

Post by smoth »

so without a drastic redesign of how the command menu works it would be pointless. Which is why I am just doing buttons for now.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

a desaturated version or a red version would suffice, since the off version infers an action from its symbol, when actually it is a status, so in some areas you'll succeed and match expectations, in others it will depend on wether they use the repeat button often.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

I'd do:
Repeat-on? Then light/glow of button on.
Repeat-off? Then light/glow of button off.
Or off makes light turn red, but if I'd do it like that, i would keep the icon, the explanatory symbol, the same.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

AF wrote:a desaturated version or a red version would suffice, since the off version infers an action from its symbol, when actually it is a status, so in some areas you'll succeed and match expectations, in others it will depend on wether they use the repeat button often.
Agreed. At the moment, it looks more like an icon for 'Stop'.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Guessmyname wrote:
AF wrote:a desaturated version or a red version would suffice, since the off version infers an action from its symbol, when actually it is a status, so in some areas you'll succeed and match expectations, in others it will depend on wether they use the repeat button often.
Agreed. At the moment, it looks more like an icon for 'Stop'.
Maybe a compromise - the repeat symbol with a red slash through it?

I worry that the dark/light repeat symbol could be confusing... if it's too dark when dark, then you can't tell it's repeat-turned-off it just looks like a dark button, so you're scrambling to find the repeat button.

Or the reverse, if it's too bright, you can't tell if it's on or off.
smoth

Post by smoth »

FireStorm_ wrote:Image
I'd do:
Repeat-on? Then light/glow of button on.
Repeat-off? Then light/glow of button off.
Or off makes light turn red, but if I'd do it like that, i would keep the icon, the explanatory symbol, the same.
Oh that's what you want firestorm? i can do that sure.

Return to “Art & Modelling”