What models are left? - Page 2

What models are left?

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Neddie
Community Lead

Re: What models are left?

Post by Neddie »

Response from a friend...
That is succinctly put, but, much like a rave, a newbie is going to have a much harder time with dealing with all that input than a veteran would. All it requires is the guiding touch of a pro to steer you in the right direction and away from the wrong crowd
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

That would be grand, but all I want to do with it is paint a damn tank. Which, sadly, ZCentral lacks tutorials for. (Specifically, getting and applying textures to models; closest you can get is an intro to polypaint which doesn't quite work with lowpoly models...)
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Gmn, what happened to your mechs you were modeling and texturing in the WIP thread?
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

They're... on strike. Somewhere. Possibly in France.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

'Sir, plz put this molotov cocktail down or imma chargin mah lazor'
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Well pull those pants up and use your iron fist. I mean, keep up the good work but don't let your old work go to waste. Many people were love your work.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I always suspected the COM-ander of Core to be left. He wears a skirt after all - and trys to convert the human mind into a maschine hivemind. Also he wears red. Surely this is evildance enough to go all the way, ruin his career, isolate his family and get every good parrotic a-merryman ready to hunt him down.
501px-Joseph_McCarthy.jpg
(50.89 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Senator McCarthy approves of your work.
Argh

Post by Argh »

GMN:

Love the story- here's a chunk of free advice:

1. When thou startest thy skin, cut all thy geometry out into a layer, with a one-pixel border, so that ye mayest dump a color Very Bright into suspect areas without slowing thy workflow.

2. When thou layeth out thy skin, it is wiser to waste (some) space and have thy Bitz near other related Bitz than to have to guess which one of hundreds of boxy facets is thy Left Front Fender (under) Assembly. By this advice, ye shall save much time.

3. When thou art still confused, there be many large, numbered textures thy can useth for an under-layer, which shall serveth thee as a rough guide to thy hoped-for goal.

4. If thee would wish, I have half a presentation about normalmapping concepts for the swift artist for thy perusal. Thou wouldst be wise to do this verily like the winds (i.e., I strongly suspect not having them will seem like a bad idea soonish).

As for the tanks... good start, but rework the bodies, work on a unique contour per vehicle. At the very least, think very much about strong contrasts at the skin level to produce differentiated results. Arne's concepts won't carry the load in that regard. Just my two cents.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Argh, I know how to UVwrap and texture things by now; that was the literal 'dump in colours, block out areas' pass as a starting point. I've got a little bit further since that. :P

In any case, I've found Bodypaint 3d and it's delightful interface to work fine.
smoth

Post by smoth »

not to go offtopic, but what about your other project gmn, I kinda wanted to see it happen :(?
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Basically: other projects at the time (crunch time on getting Nightmare House 2 out the door), Uni and the simple fact that some of the ideas just wouldn't work / weren't practical on the Spring Engine. Or at least as far as I knew.

And I never did manage to work out how to finish up that 3dsmax animation to luascript exporter which I'd really need to get things animated properly.
smoth

Post by smoth »

please don't let your project die, i was SUPER SUPER excited about playing it!
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

More progress (still WIP). Not quite happy with the Medium Tank at the moment; will probably have to do something extra with it before moving onto the next texturing stage. Think it's to do with the turret, but the damn tc gets in the way (yes I have ways of getting around that but they sorta rely on the texture being complete first...)
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Very nice! Simple yet still intriguing. I'd add some more panels for teamcolor though...
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Wow! Awesome! I really like the tone.
But they will look quite similar viewed from some distance, wont they?
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Might do. Med tank has size advantage, and I'm thinking of making the treadguard sides on the Mortar Tank teamcoloured too; should make differentiation easier.

There's other ways of doing it too, beyond visually: the mortar tanks I imagine are slower than stumpies, and if you add different sounds and particle effects for each, that'll also help.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

delicious
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

so much sex :o

tho, i think mortar turret could use few more polys
TheRegisteredOne

Post by TheRegisteredOne »

Awesome work; absolutely no suggestions. please work on more models instead of endless tweaks.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Wait what I'm being praised by TRO has the world turned upsidedown what
Well I'm trying to spruce these three up as far I can (I managed to get away with using them as part of a Uni project; yes I'm cheap shut up) and I figure if I can iron out the workflow here it'll make things easier in the long run.

Also Wombat you realise it's completely too late for me to be able to pop back in and add polies to it, right? >_>

Also lulz I somehow forgot to do-over the barrels when I was painting bits in Bodypaint, go me.

Return to “Art & Modelling”