What models are left?

What models are left?

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Guessmyname

What models are left?

Post by Guessmyname »

Tempted to take up TA modelling again; what units are left that don't have s3o remodels?

Core vehicles and level 1 kbots are done as memory serves; what about Arm's stuff?
Beherith

Re: What models are left?

Post by Beherith »

Pretty much all of arm.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

...Well nuts.

I'm making a Stumpy anyway.

Edit: Oh, misread that as 'pretty much all of 'em', ie 'none left' >_>

MAKING STUMPIES ANYWAY.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Yaaay! Dont let the naysayers get you down :)
PM me if you would like SVN access to BA:R.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

GMN, maybe u would like these ? Image

didnt have any concept for texture, bulldog on right needs some more love (at front) :P im sure u would make better use of them than me (uh, im pretty sure stumpy and turrets are unwrapped but i dont remember)
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Those are real nice womb, have you tried texturing them with my fireworks tutorial?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

as i said many times before i know how to texture, i just still sux at every graph program, never used ps/gimp/w/e seriously except editing jaz pic :< thats why i think it would be better idea if GMN could make diffuse text for them :P
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Jaz pic = srs business.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

make a labs worth so they match :P
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Thanks for the offer Wombat, but I prefer to make stuff myself (plus I'd already modelled two of them by that point...)

Working off this, naturally, I've got the Stumpy, Mortar Tank and Medium Tank all modelled and UV'd, though not yet textured.

I realise the unit list on that concept set don't quite match up with the unit lists for BA/CA etc, so before I cock it up and miss out something, what's the roster for Level 1 Vehicles again? I know it's basically OTA list + Janus off the top of my head but are there any others?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Glad youre choosing a whole lab :D

arm t1 vecs:
Con vec
amph con vec
jeffy
flash
stumpy
janus
samson
artillery
amphib tank
minelayer
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

the bulldog should be a lil bit bigger and heavier, i thought it was a bigger flash ;)
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Just basic colours / areas etc down at the moment. Proper texturing to begin shortly.

EDIT: the funky squares will be alpha'd wheels, by the way
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Awesome stuff GMN!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

The problem with the core stuff atm is, unless I'm mistaken, in several of the labs, the units were modeled and textured by different people, and as a result they don't really match :-(

Best thing to do is if you are going to take one lab, make sure you do every single unit in that lab.

It doesn't matter so much if the different labs units "Match", because as they are in different labs, creative differences is ok, but having a serious mismatch within a lab is a fairly big nono.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Are you planning on texuring them with the arm logo? If so, as a tiny feature request, could you consider making logo-less ones as well? (:
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Waldo, concepts I'm working off have no logos anyway, so don't worry.

In the meantime, I would like to offer a little tale for the worthy folk of these lands. It's called 'Ode for the 3d Texture Painter'.

It began in the land of Photoshop, and it the world was flat. Though the UVs had been laid out fully, with all the packing, rotating and sorting involved, it was quite hard to judge what areas were which, and even on which model. So, our wily hero thought, 'why work in Photoshop? Why not work in a texture painting program, where I can paint gradients on my crafts with ease, with no fear for the seamstress or the resolution god?'

Why not indeed.

His first location was the land of Mudbox. It was an old acquaintance, and the two had worked together in the past, though not like this. He had a suspicion the task he would ask of it would prove too much, but he was willing to try for old times' sake.

Unfortunately, his fears proved soon correct. At first it was too dark to see by, so he tried to change the lights, only to find errors and inconsistencies and a sincere difficulty in getting the lights to stop moving around because I've got it just right and would quite like to start painting now, damnit.

After battling the lighting, he finally settled down to work. He picked up his pen. He imported his textures. He set his layers, prepared his brushes, and went to work.

And could almost cut himself on the jaggedness.

Sharp! Sharp points everywhere! Not a smooth line in sight at all and no alpha masks to soften it off! The falloffs did nothing! It was not like painting, it was like scratching a surface with a dagger! He could get nothing done with such a tool! He begged and he tried but the lands of Mudbox could not keep up the strain. The Lighting glitched one final time. Eventually, he hung his head and walked away. He'd worked well with Mudbox in the past... but it was time to let old dogs lie.

His next stop was the mystical Z-Brush, and he held his hopes high. Here, surely, was a land that was tailored to his needs! He'd heard such words and praises sung of it, seen the works that had become of it, he thought he saw a utopia.

Instead, he found an amateur art designer's manic pixie dream.

2.5D? What was this absurdity? Where was the Import? Where was the Load Texture? The land so paralysed him he could barely move, even with his works past through the border controls and finally into the territory for working on. All the pretension made him weary. This was no paradise. They would not even let him paint. His calls for directions fell on deaf ears. He moved on.

His final stop was a small one, barely even heard of, that the locals called 'Sculptris'. It was a desperation stop, fleeing from the horrors of Z-Brush, but the scenery held peace and tranquillity. Everything seemed so simple here, so helpfully to the point. He could bring his crafts in without a hassle. He could paint directly to texture, rather than deal with that absurdity of 'poly paint'. Surely, it seemed no wonderland, just a simple, down-to-earth land for the painters. There wasn't even an entrance free. He smiled.

He was still smiling five minutes later, with the lands frozen in glitch and grey around him, the load so high he could barely move.

It took him near half an hour to escape that trap, his works destroyed at his feet. Another day, he thought, perhaps another day. He had searched too far, lost too much to stop now. Perhaps there was an update? Sculptris had an honesty to it, after all, and they had given fair warning of the possible occurrence. He did not feel betrayed yet.

And then he heard the news.

Production had stopped. The land of Sculptris had been annexed, by that horrifying land of dementia they called Z-Brush. It's creators had been sucked in, dragged away, that gloating land unwilling to lend a prize to anyone that did not share it's delusions. The artist cried and turned away. Such a beautiful thing. Such a horrifying loss. He wandered away, aimless. Anything, anywhere. Anywhere that wasn't here. He'd find it some day, he was sure, cradling his battered works in his arms. One day, one day he would find his paradise. A world of simplicity, where he could paint unhassled by cracktastic UI design or unexplainable glitchery and the random number god. One day.

He wanders still.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I keep hearing rave things about Z-Brush, and am learning Mudbox for a contest.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Rave is an appropriate term where ZBrush is involved. Lots of noise, not much room, flashing lights all over the place and damned if you can get anywhere.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

[offtop]
better download sculptris, when its still totally free (pixologic 'bought' sculptris developer), who knows what gonna happen with it later and its still cool program (fo me better than zbrush, if u want to use it for fun)
[/offtop]

Return to “Art & Modelling”