Movie recommendation - Page 4

Movie recommendation

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by KaiserJ »

i think my favourite bit was at the very start, when he drops his car keys and runs a big ring around the parking lot to get the zombies away (cardio, cardio, cardio)

on a bit of a side note, i feel like woody harrelson has really been doing well lately... zombieland, no country for old men, a scanner darkly... all good roles! he's come a far way from "cheers woody". even in semi-pro he was still one of the more intelligent characters (although not a particularly moral one)
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

"the shinjuku incident" is a great flick.

its got jackie chan, without any of the usual comedy and lightheartedness. great for anyone who likes a "serious" action movie, as well as movies about organized crime and japanese culture in general.
Neddie
Community Lead

Re: Movie reccomandation

Post by Neddie »

Gota wrote: Inherit the wind sounds interesting but also kind of an American thing.
Inherit The Wind is predicated upon the follies of a young culture caught between classical pretensions and the march of social progress, simultaneously championed and stifled by a controlling old guard. Not that different from Israel, and most of the themes can be realized in a culturally agnostic manner if you reject the drawn parallels.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Neddie wrote:
Gota wrote: Inherit the wind sounds interesting but also kind of an American thing.
Inherit The Wind is predicated upon the follies of a young culture caught between classical pretensions and the march of social progress, simultaneously championed and stifled by a controlling old guard. Not that different from Israel, and most of the themes can be realized in a culturally agnostic manner if you reject the drawn parallels.
Heh, this very general description can be used to describe almost any country in almost any time in history.
Maybe we can just say the movie is about people and be done with it.
Than we can say the film is relevant for everyone everywhere at anytime.

Truly though the movie, at least from the description, is about evolution versus religion and the only place in the western world where those 2 are in actual battle today is in the US.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

"harry brown" is like deathwish with an english twist

micheal caine is an ex-royal marine, and after his only surviving friend is viciously killed by hooligans on their housing estate, he goes into vigilante mode on a quest for revenge.

you gotta love a movie where a curmudgeony old man bugs out and takes the law into his own hands, amirite?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Gota wrote:
Neddie wrote:
Heh, this very general description can be used to describe almost any country in almost any time in history.
Maybe we can just say the movie is about people and be done with it.
Than we can say the film is relevant for everyone everywhere at anytime.

Truly though the movie, at least from the description, is about evolution versus religion and the only place in the western world where those 2 are in actual battle today is in the US.
Well, arguably countries which have more than a few years of contiguous history don't qualify for the young cultural classification. When subjected to that perspective, most modern developed nations are disqualified.

The subject in contention may not be as interesting to most viewers, even in the United States, as the methods of argumentation employed. I would like to think that a single theme does not define or limit a good film, for a good film is more complex than that.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

bizzump

"winters bone" was a pretty good movie outside of what i normally watch; drama movie about a girl trying to locate her shady father in some nasty backwoods methamphetamine town

i was only inclined to watch it because it had a great rating on rottentomatoes and won a sundance award for something or other, but it delivered and would recommend.

(perhaps a bit boring, nobody explodes)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Nobody exploded? Is that even possible? Cinema thought me the human body is like a hyperpressurized can of tomato sauce with a firecracker in it. One tiny little sting, and booom - on the walls, one th floor, humans everywhere. You can tell us, if you sleeped through the movie because of long anti-piracy adds.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

haha well in the new rambo it looks more like people are just big bags of tomato ketchup. maybe a compromise between the two theories would be optimal

there were explosions of emotion, do those count?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

wasnt that the best part about this movie ? :regret: my ass was so tight when japs were running in the mined mud, WHAT A TENSION :D

btw, someone watched 'essential killing' ? im wondering about usa citizens opinions
Panda

Post by Panda »

In Machine Girl it just looked like they were spraying red Kool-Aid everywhere.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Wombat wrote:my ass was so tight
Films to tone your buttocks to.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Neddie wrote:
Wombat wrote:my ass was so tight
Films to tone your buttocks to.

Good, goood, goood bass vibrations :)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

talking about my ass is gay u kno
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

just saw "the lovely bones" the other day

was pretty cool, i guess i was expecting something different seeing as it was a peter jackson movie. mark wahlberg was a bit fail but susan sarandon made a great drunken grandma. the best actor though was the little girl, played by "Saoirse Ronan"... making up for her stupid name with an excellent performance.

basically this girl gets killed by a pedo (who was cast excellently... as soon as you see him, you know) but doesn't go to heaven, she stays in sort of a wierd fantasia-esqe purgatory and attempts to communicate with her loved ones

parts of the movie were so sad that i felt like i was gonna cry :O maybe just because i was intoxicated, or watching the movie alone, but it's gotta have SOMETHING going for it.

sadly, nobody exploded. decent date night movie i'd wager

edit : why do i keep enjoying these womenfolk movies :(
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

"Scott Pilgrim VS The World" is at least 3 kinds of awesome and you all need to watch it... I know I'm late to the bandwagon but seeing at it's just out on DVD it sorta works.

I mean it's a combination of a romantic comedy and a kung fu movie that is so chock full of cultural references (particularly fighting anime/manga, JRPGs and other 80s video games) that anyone who lived during the 80s will feel like they are watching a movie designed specifically written for their benefit. Everyone else will just like it.

Also, I need a T-SHirt that says "Team Knives" just for the irony of it.

edit: I forgot to mention that people explode
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Just some that came my mind:
Mulholland Drive (Lynch)
Stalker (Tarkovsky)
Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky)
The Conversation (Coppola)
The Tenant, Le Locataire (Polanski)
Fight Club (Fincher)
Pi (Aronofsky)
The Last Temptation of Christ (Scorcese)
The Trial, Procès, Le (Welles)

Some comedy:
Big Lebowski
Office Space
Being John Malkovich

And what comes to Jim Carrey:
The Number 23
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

SirArtturi wrote: And what comes to Jim Carrey:
The Number 23
That movie is a catastrophy.
SinbadEV wrote:"Scott Pilgrim VS The World" is at least 3 kinds of awesome and you all need to watch it... I know I'm late to the bandwagon but seeing at it's just out on DVD it sorta works.
I should check it out i think I have it on my hd.
SirArtturi wrote: Stalker (Tarkovsky)
Have it on dvd, very dark, athmospheric but it can be boring.
Solaris is also great but it made me fall asleep too.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

nice artturi, some ones i havent seen

those were your fav polanski movies? for me, its chinatown all the way
Panda

Post by Panda »

SirArtturi wrote:Just some that came my mind:
Mulholland Drive (Lynch)
Stalker (Tarkovsky)
Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky)
The Conversation (Coppola)
The Tenant, Le Locataire (Polanski)
Fight Club (Fincher)
Pi (Aronofsky)
The Last Temptation of Christ (Scorcese)
The Trial, Procès, Le (Welles)

Some comedy:
Big Lebowski
Office Space
Being John Malkovich

And what comes to Jim Carrey:
The Number 23
Out of these movies, I've only seen Office Space and Fight Club. They were both good movies.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”