Game project. Code name : Evolvere - Page 5

Game project. Code name : Evolvere

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Wombat

Re: Game project. Code name : Evolvere

Post by Wombat »

yo, its also my fav one, BUT i cant see it textured, when i switch to texture mode in blender most of the model disappears :o alt + H doesnt work :<
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Taking a look over your models, a lot of them cull polygons on the underside. If you're doing this to save on polycount, dont bother. You can afford a heap of polygons before it becomes a bottleneck: Texture size will start hurting you much sooner.

The real danger of this is on units like the LightFlakCannon, which has no polygons on the underside of its barrels. A flak cannon is presumably going to be shooting up into the sky- the barrels will be vertical much of the time, and you will be able to see the holes in the model.

I'd suggest just closing off the models, even if its just with black/grey polygons that take minimal texture space.
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

Saktoth > I'm aware of the danger but it shouldn't be a problem for most of the models. I'll fix that later if needed (like on the light flak canon you mentioned).

I don't want to start a debate but removing faces you will not see ingame on your model is like a "must do" even if you gain only 30 tris on a 600 tris model. Ofc you have to take care of animated parts (what I didn't really do in some cases, like with the light flak canon) but I don't see any reason why I should keep underside polygons on a RTS game :)

Also I'm a bit intrigued about the texture memory problem you mentioned. Do CA has a problem like this ? Anyway, AO's are too different to use the same texture for air_fac1,2 and 3 :( but using the same tex2 and normals maps should be possible, I'll take a look at that.
I did not think about reducing tex2 size, I'll do that as well :)

Wombat > Woops something's wrong with textures path in the blender file. Blender will search for a "textures" directory where the .blend is stored so make a "textures" dir and move textures in it. It should solve the problem :)
maackey

Post by maackey »

about polygon counts: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... nt#p386073

tl;dr: polygons are practically free. other things affect fps much more.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

I don't see any reason why I should keep underside polygons on a RTS game
Springs shadows
smoth

Post by smoth »

I use fps camera so I see the undersides. Also if you intend on doing missions one day with scripted camera movements for cinematics.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Impulse can send your units flying in which case you don't want invisible undersides.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Well as you can see, there are eventualities re underside polygons you may not have considered. It is indeed best practice to cull unseen polygons, i think all we're saying is that you will be surprised sometimes what polygons end up being visible.

But you're right, for 95% of the play time, nobody will ever notice.
Cremuss wrote:Also I'm a bit intrigued about the texture memory problem you mentioned. Do CA has a problem like this ? Anyway, AO's are too different to use the same texture for air_fac1,2 and 3 :( but using the same tex2 and normals maps should be possible, I'll take a look at that.
I am not an expert, but jK thinks that CA definitely has or had this problem (He did a giant cull where he went through and compressed/reduced textures, so i think its better now). It depends on your GPU though so people will have it to varying degrees.

I did notice that about the AO bake on the air plants, but if you ever do run into this texture memory problem, you may have to put up with an AO bake which is slightly sloppy in some areas. Either way, thats surely something you can do later if you ever run into the issue.
Last edited by Saktoth on 15 Oct 2010, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Those buildings are excellent! I'm looking forward to seeing some units.
liamdawe

Post by liamdawe »

Me too Dec, i would love to see this be an actual playable mod, the GUI especially would be the best looking in springs.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

Cremuss wrote:Blender file, png and .xcf (gimp source) files released here under free art license 1.3 :
http://cremuss.free.fr/finaloutcome/sources/

SVN is here :
http://code.google.com/p/finaloutcome/

Contains every models you already seen, plus 2 commanders, land cons, naval cons and air cons.
It is not finished, some models/textured needs some tweaks/improvements (especially with animated parts revealing AO glitchs). Also, scripts and unitdef are not "working", it's just a basic general file to upload it in spring, so don't expect to put all of these in spring and have a working game or even working units :D.
seems like cremuss gave up on this project because he didn't find any dev/scripter to make it work too bad :(
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

wut ? blasphemy ! these models were not even finished, most of them were cons. so if he didnt even finish models i dont think lack of scripters is a problem (yet).

Cremuss, stop having life !
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

Satirik wrote: seems like cremuss gave up on this project because he didn't find any dev/scripter to make it work too bad :(
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

these models were amazing D:... for shame :(
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

I've worked on something else since my last post and I don't have the will nor the wish to be back on this project. RTS is just not my thing.
Sry dudes :-)

Anyway files are available under freeart license so feel free to use them :

Textures png and .xcf gimp source :
http://cremuss.free.fr/finaloutcome/sources/
http://cremuss.free.fr/finaloutcome/sou ... ringUI.xcf > UI file released

Spring files and models :
http://code.google.com/p/finaloutcome/

take care cya
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

ZK should take them all and find a silver lining. 8)
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

FLOZi wrote:ZK should take them all and find a silver lining. 8)
Too slow, it has already begun. http://code.google.com/p/zero-k/source/detail?r=871
smoth

Post by smoth »

Google_Frog wrote: it
has
begun.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Cremuss wrote:I've worked on something else since my last post and I don't have the will nor the wish to be back on this project. RTS is just not my thing.
i hate u :(
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Considering how they actually correspond nicely to OTA economy structures, any of those BA-replacement projects should be gobbling this stuff up in a heartbeat.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

10-15 cremuss models would make 340 look like they were made in the stone age ;)

i cant open this file, anyone know if ships and tanks are included?

Return to “Game Development”