The Curious Case of DSDHosts. - Page 10

The Curious Case of DSDHosts.

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

Carpenter

Re: The Curious Case of DSDHosts.

Post by Carpenter »

Gota wrote:Seems only person who is actually DOING anything except "flapping" his "mouth" is sucky lord.
I guess nobody really cares about playing BA on none dsd maps otherwise instead of arguing who is trolling who and who is smarter youd actually do something..
I kinda made this thread so that we could all just run our mouths here and talk bs. I mean I already did my part in PM with Lampe, we had some kind of convo about this back then and I was trying to explain what the problem is and why it is a problem. I shared my opinion about it earlier on this thread, the real talk was made in PM though.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Gota, it's mighty rich of you to play that card.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Beherith wrote:Gota, it's mighty rich of you to play that card.
Just makes no sense ill bother for a mod i hardly play.
Cant i be bitter?none of you play SA with me ;_;
I shouldn't even be here trying to steer people to action,i should have just let wombat and piro clan duke it out till thread got locked XD.

I said 8v8 DSD was an issue ages ago.
I offered rank based game joining...low rank can join only smaller game,higher ranked bigger games.
Not only does this make people play in smaller games so they have a chance to learn something else but sitting at back making 10 adv fusions but it would also help versus smurfs.
I remember the flak i got in that thread...10 pages of people trolling and flaming about how people should play what the want even if its 8v8 dsd all day long.
Most play whats default if there were other equal options of getting players they'd play diff maps and diff room sizes....
Limiting room size to rank provides that opportunity by gathering players into smaller rooms.

All this needs is for BA to implement a gadget or some sort of combination of a gadget and server support for it.

Aside from this and making the community 10x times bigger all you can do is beg dsd only hosts o stop hosting dsd only and they dont have to comply....

You can also attempt to change people's minds about 8v8 dsd but most of those players dont even visit these forums.
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

Now I think this thread http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=24249 has something to do with this thread. No more tasclient updates due to DSDHost invasion. :(
Regret

Post by Regret »

Gota wrote:Limiting room size to rank provides that opportunity by gathering players into smaller rooms.

All this needs is for BA to implement a gadget or some sort of combination of a gadget and server support for it.
:|

Not sure if serious.

How does amount of time spent idling as spectator add anything of value to a players gaming experience? Because that is exactly what it would come to.

(also check out the wicked smiley! It uses newest technology)
[LOeT]Zinn

Post by [LOeT]Zinn »

Gota wrote:Limiting room size to rank provides that opportunity by gathering players into smaller rooms.

I don't think it would be BAs job. I see the lobby server and the autohosts as liable.

And it would bring us
a) some widgets to gain rank ("but I lost my password"...)
b) better big games, but much worse small games because real noobs and smurfs would be forced to play together.

I am pretty sure that there are only three ways of getting rid of the problems:
a) take money for accounts - I don't think thats a good way to go.
b) use a springie like autobalancing, something like the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system combined with a central facility to hold the data for the whole lobby server. This still can be duped by made up battles.
c) get a web of trust for player authentication.

I would very much go for c) combined with some other stuff, which will only work when there are trusted users :)

(also check out the cock-eyed smile! It uses non licensed technology. HaR!)
kolben

Post by kolben »

i like dsd :)

jippie! my first post on springrts board :D
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

kolben wrote:i like dsd :)

jippie! my first post on springrts board :D
You failed with your first post.
MiNiMi

Post by MiNiMi »

CarRepairer wrote:
Carpenter wrote:So, in case someone hasn't realised, we have now 3 DSDHosts. So we need to get them closed some way, I don't know how yet but maybe dear moderators and server side admins could help? :)

I'm truely amazed if someone will disagree on this, and not just amazed, more like disappointed. Help me and the others! :D

Complainers:

No one on the spring server is ever going to ban a map from spring just because you don't like playing on it.

No one's going to ban a bot from spring just because you don't like the maps it hosts or the number of players it allows.

It's never going to happen. Never. These threads have been numerous over the years indicating that people seriously think server administrators are going to police how people should play.

You have two options. Convince autohost owners to see things your way. Or, learn to advertise the better battles that you want people to play by talking about them in #main. That is all.

Stop cluttering the forums. In fact I'd like to propose a new forum rule: Moderate threads that call on the removal of a map or autohost (unless there's a seriously good reason like the map contains mature content or stolen IP or something). It's insulting to content creators. Seriously, it's time to end this after all these years.
CarRepairer said everything about this topic 6 pages ago. i don't know why you still discuss about it :shock:
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

If CarRepairer says something, it doesn't mean that everybody has said what they've got to say.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

nobody gives a crap what u or others got to say, CR said truth, and thats what matters.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Aight.. I was reading this thread yesterday and I was about to respond(or rather make a sequel topic because this one was full/locked). Either an moderator removed a whole lot of posts by Sucky_Lord and [LOeT]Zinn or they removed em themselves. (Topic was locked at that time so I guess its the first). Although there was some trolling most of what was being said was on topic and useful observations were made.
[LOeT]Zinn wrote:On the other hand the DSD manics where constantly messing up every host with more than 10 players and voted for DSD. This has stopped since the DSD-hosts exist. People playing on maps other than DSD are 98% more likely to play on any good map other than DSD. I wonder why you want the old times back. Your outspoken needs and your demands do not match.
On this point I agree with you Zinn. DSD-voters were very annoying and this has changed indeed.

I think that because of the recent changes; other maps on the dsd hosts available, no-dsd hosts and the existence of plenty of other hosts the situation has changed for the better. The players now have to take responsibility.

Stop playing DSD-only games; yes; you might have to wait the occasional 10 mins for a game but among the DSD-only players there are ALOT of people who are really fed up with DSD. It might be hard get a DSD-host to empty out in favour of another host but it is certainly not impossible, and better yet; it usually only has to be done once a day. After that the normal host is the full host. I rather spend 30 mins getting a decent game going these days than waste hours playing DSD. Because, lets be honest here, that is what it comes down to.

Stop afk-speccing DSD-only games; wtf is wrong with you. Stop providing momentum to these hosts.

PS. Cant find a moderator feedback topic or something alike. Whoever removed all those posts in this topic; don't do that shit anymore. That kind of moderating kills discussions and therefore discussion boards. Go ahead and remove this, then this will be my last post on this board.
Zydox
Lobby Developer

Post by Zydox »

klapmongool wrote:Aight.. I was reading this thread yesterday and I was about to respond(or rather make a sequel topic because this one was full/locked). Either an moderator removed a whole lot of posts by Sucky_Lord and [LOeT]Zinn or they removed em themselves. (Topic was locked at that time so I guess its the first). Although there was some trolling most of what was being said was on topic and useful observations were made.

PS. Cant find a moderator feedback topic or something alike. Whoever removed all those posts in this topic; don't do that shit anymore. That kind of moderating kills discussions and therefore discussion boards. Go ahead and remove this, then this will be my last post on this board.
Are you thinking of this thread?
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=24249
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

Wombat wrote:nobody gives a crap what u or others got to say, CR said truth, and thats what matters.
You wish :))

Also that part of the DSDHosting makes sense because yesterday for example, I joined bobbelhost and the map was DSD. Well I tried to vote for something else and it worked! For those few players who voted 2 I said "join the DSDHost if you want to play it that bad". Nobody complained, nobody raged, gg.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

woooooooooooooooooww, u finally followed my suggestion and found !votemap command, good boi, u r swift student !
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

I thought your suggestion was to join other hosts.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Zydox wrote:
klapmongool wrote:Aight.. I was reading this thread yesterday and I was about to respond(or rather make a sequel topic because this one was full/locked). Either an moderator removed a whole lot of posts by Sucky_Lord and [LOeT]Zinn or they removed em themselves. (Topic was locked at that time so I guess its the first). Although there was some trolling most of what was being said was on topic and useful observations were made.

Are you thinking of this thread?
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=24249
Haha, yes. Must have clicked a link. I saved the post for a reaction in a new topic. Mistaken it after I had time to look at it again because it deals almost only with dsd-only. Ty. Ah well. I dislike (unmotivated) locking of threads as well. A good moderator would have at least motivated the lock (can be very short) or even better have split and added the off-topic contributions to the DSD-topic.
Masure

Post by Masure »

I was disappointed with the thread derail. I suggested moderation but this was a lock without explanation instead of a proper cleanup with motivation. I gave up arguing about moderation since this is a ban reason for sure.
crazy dave

Post by crazy dave »

i have an idea
there are 3 New BA servers

one hosts popular water maps only

the other hosts popular land maps only but no DSD

finally the last one hosts new popular maps from spring files

That way more maps are played and skills learnt from new maps and noobs like me know what to do on water maps :)
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Masure wrote:I was disappointed with the thread derail. I suggested moderation but this was a lock without explanation instead of a proper cleanup with motivation. I gave up arguing about moderation since this is a ban reason for sure.
Most of the people who argue with moderation are here and probably will continue to be.

As for post moderation, we generally do give justification. I will try to ensure this occurs more often in future.

Return to “Ingame Community”