Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 329

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

smoth

Re: Random WIP

Post by smoth »

bobthedinosaur wrote:chickens vs gundam?!? :shock: noooo
I have a modified version that spawns mobile suits. you can set it to zeon or federation.

related to the earlier visual discussion. From my standard play height. I really need to model some cars and street signs.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Johannes wrote:
Beherith wrote:5 minutes? Talk is cheap.
http://www.springfiles.com/images/735/P ... height.jpg

That's basically 6 different hill shapes recurring plus the big hill, their placement doesn't seem to be too exactly thought out. Maybe I exaggarated, and couldn't make something similar that fast but either way I prefer spending an hour or 2 to properly think and detail the layout through :D
Here are a few reasons why making Painted desert with a new awesome texture is better than making something new from scratch that is similar.

1)Painted desert has some historical value,We enjoy things with a history behind them,with some depth.
That's why you see fenchises go on an on because people get attached to these things somewhat and feel more connected to them than to some new lore/story/idea.

2)painted desert has a nice simple proven concept.
Overcomplicated heightmaps tend to fail,especially with Spring's pathing.
Overcomplicated unfocused heightmaps also get lost when you look at them.
You have to have just a few thing or even just one feature that stand out and are easy to remember and focus on otherwise it takes much longer to get used to a map visually.
Excellent example is avikko,check it out if you don't remember it.

3)it's much less time consuming to tweak a heightmap a bit than to create a new concept and redraw everything from scratch.
The bottom line is gameplay and visual quality.
Painted desert provides the first but fails miserably at the second.

I am not sure what program Beherith is using but if he got the template over with I dont think it would take a lot of time to just lay it on an existing heightmap.
Of course time is time is time but i think many people inclduing me would be interested in playing Painted desert so maybe its worth his time which is why i offered the idea.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

New Work > Remake, IMO. PD was a brilliant map back in the day, and I had many long slugfests on it (I think it was where I managed to finally defeat one of the gnugs...) back in OTA days. But it's heightmap was really quite flat, though tall enough to be significant in TA terms. It would be easy enough to port it if you just wanted to play on that, but new designers should have an opportunity to learn from that work but bring their own ideas and make something new.

I think the most important parts of PD were the resource distribution - there was a reasonable amount of metal but it was always widely distributed and in the most contested spots. Holding the middle was always tricky but very valuable. There were a lot of rocks around, and most of the more serious players had power strats worked out using the rocks, but I was never a fan of that sort of rote-learnt strategy. Also the fact that it was really open and not porcy at all (until MT forests popped up) which made for some epic slugfests...

If you're making a PD remake behe, you should make an IW version and stick some tattooine features ;)
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Tatooine Tunisia themed features are also appropriate for S44 maps. :wink:
smoth

Post by smoth »

smoth wrote: Image
here (click for larger)
is what painted desert really looks like as a height field. I could do a more appropriate texture but I did this one for illustrative purposes
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Tattooine scenes were filmed in Tunisia, so I think we can keep all parties happy ;)
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:I think we can keep all parties happy ;)
I seriously doubt anything could possibly keep everyone in the rampaging mob that is the Spring community happy.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Master-Athmos wrote:The "problem" about that screen is that it's sort of a "glamor shot". You don't look at them this way ingame. There they just make up a brownish brick with some teamcolors. The missing tracks on the terrain probably are missing due to being a WIP shot I guess...
Limited teamcolours in Gundam RTS. Also, Smoth probably does look at them this way ingame.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I do and any moment I have idle periods I fly down to look at things up close :P.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

512x256 texture, paintjob by masse
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

I dig it. The little machine gun animation is subtle but a nice touch.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

:3 is there chocolate in this egg

i liek it
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

i like the simple layout
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

KaiserJ wrote::3 is there chocolate in this egg

i liek it
it's full of meat... SPACE JEW MEAT
tricount = 828 .. texture's still in a WIP stage

if spring had a proper animation system and/or I'd know how to rig shit then perhaps...
(click for bigger)
smoth

Post by smoth »

give it a swivel torso, spin+lua spin effect = lol you win
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »