AI War: Fleet Command 3.0

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

AI war is probably the most awesome RTS I have ever played, yet the indy developers are going out of buisness because nobody is buying the game, WTF! AI war with all the expansions is _THE_ best single player or coop vs AI rts I have ever played. I bought the latest expansion on the same day I bought starcraft 2 and I've played it about 10x as much.

try out the demo on their website if you havnt already:

http://www.arcengames.com/
Last edited by 1v0ry_k1ng on 23 Sep 2010, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Sabutai

Re: AI War 3.0

Post by Sabutai »

If I had money I'd buy it. Enjoyed the "demo".
AF
AI Developer

Re: AI War 3.0

Post by AF »

*looks at his bank balance*

*cries*
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: AI War: Fleet Command 3.0

Post by KDR_11k »

I bought it a while ago (admittedly when it was on sale, same for Zenith Remnant) but never managed to find someone to coop with (even just cooping the demo). There's no online matchmaking so it's not the fault of the game, it's the fault of the people I deal with.

I just bought Tidalis to help them out. Still need to get the latest AI War expansion but since that money goes to charity anyway it's not going to help their bottom line.

EDIT: Tidalis is pretty damn awesome and has a shitload of content, there's so damn many different game modes and tiles and whatnot. They said it had a lot of difficulty standing out from the masses of match 3 games but here the difference is that instead of moving blocks together you align their arrows and shoot lasers through them similar to laser chess.
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

KDR me and Fang play AI Wars. we have the newest update (which makes massive improvements to the game) but i think we can still play if you get it as a trial. And yes this game is awesome,
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

Mello, I haven't seen you in ages! :D
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

j5mello wrote:KDR me and Fang play AI Wars. we have the newest update (which makes massive improvements to the game) but i think we can still play if you get it as a trial. And yes this game is awesome,
Newest update? You mean Children of Neinzul? I'll have that as soon as my money arrives in my PayPal account. I think I have regular access to all other beta updates.
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

yeah CoN... god the stuff that goes on in the new expansion is just silly, fuck 2000 neinzul ship waves
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I'd buy the game but the demo was terribly boring
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Does the Mk IV Enclave Ship really replace an advanced factory? Seems like a massive blow to the whole capturing AI gear aspect. Yes, it's expensive but a mobile, rebuildable Mk IV factory is an invaluable asset since it's usually pretty hard to get those Mk IV ships to AI homeworlds. Plus can you give that thing to other players? Would allow one player to focus on unlocking Enclave Mk IV while the others can spend their knowledge on getting those Mk III unlocks.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

KDR_11k wrote:Does the Mk IV Enclave Ship really replace an advanced factory? Seems like a massive blow to the whole capturing AI gear aspect. Yes, it's expensive but a mobile, rebuildable Mk IV factory is an invaluable asset since it's usually pretty hard to get those Mk IV ships to AI homeworlds. Plus can you give that thing to other players? Would allow one player to focus on unlocking Enclave Mk IV while the others can spend their knowledge on getting those Mk III unlocks.
14k knowlege to unlock it? the only situation I would invest that much in a singe player game is if all the MKIV factories on the map have already been destroyed... in multiplayer it might have more application, but I havnt found the enclaves to be overwelmingly useful at this point due to their annoying behavior as factories on FRD
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I just finished a difficulty 4 game to try the enclaves, it's REALLY useful to have a mobile advanced factory trailing one system behind your main force to replace losses without lengthy travel times. In a previous difficulty 7 game I had trouble getting the Mk IV ships from the advanced factory to where I needed them so I didn't use Mk IVs during the AI homeworld assault (about 10 hops from the factory), of course that was before research was confined to non-hostile systems so I didn't conquer every system along the path and had some gaps I needed to ferry things through. Now that you need to conquer stuff for the knowledge anyway and logistics bases can grease the transports it'll be somewhat more feasible to have long supply lines but it's still way more effective to refill the army from a mobile factory.

It's 18k knowledge for the Mk IV Enclave with 10k being just for the last step but it leaves you without a massively vulnerable advanced factory system that you need to guard, carrying the Enclave with your army means you have defenses at hand if you need them. 18k is six planets worth of knowledge, sure it could be used on other unlocks but it's feasible to get the Mk IV Enclave up and running before you've even reached the advanced factories. But even after reaching them the Enclave remains useful since you cannot take that factory with you.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I might look into it, though I have doubts about the game itself. Frictional Games didn't get the definitive profit edge with Amnesia - highly rated but not selling well - that they expected either, though I think they had higher expectations and a larger budget to begin with.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

If you're talking about money Arcen had enough income for over a year with AI War. Tidalis bombed and you people really should check it out.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I have never had issues with losing mkIV factories, i gate raid around them and ensure they & the CC are under a ff, throw in 20-30 spider turrets and some basic defence and odds are, barring a warp counter attack gaurdpost, it is safe.

@ attacking homeworlds, I tend to capture the adjacent core world, aggro the homeworld ships by popping starships in and out ('units leave their posts to pursue this unit...') until they counterattack into my waiting army, then with the homeworlds garrison gone i just surround the wormhole to the homeworld with assisted factories (FRD rally points leading through the hole) and churn out replacements... as my fleet gets chewed up, its gets sent through again just as fast and eventually wears the place down.

I also tend to make good use of leech starships, and usually have 400+ captured & healed core ships as well as whatever I unlock when I attack a homeworld (the superterminal is usually good for 500+ MKIV ships with a good leeching set up) so I never found replacing core ships to be much of an issue. its cool that so many playstyles work, though :-)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Speaking of different playstyles, is there any style in which the Mk III nuke makes sense?
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

when you have a mega fleet of starships and think you could win if only the enemy would stop reinforcing, maybe

mostly I think its there to give the impression that the player has every possible tool at his disposal.

protip: zenith polarisers are massively OP
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

+5k AIP does not sound like "stop reinforcing".
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

it kills AI supply/stops them reinforcing iirc
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The betas of the new engine version add all kinds of awesome, also waaaay prettier (of course the units are still sprites). There's supposed to be a full 4.0 release during the next week

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”