Why was the stretching returned to the loading screen?

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

I just tested 0.82.3-232-g79d50f6 to see kloot's fix for the snaking(Thanks kloot it works) and I saw that loading screens are now stretching again :(.

This is bad because not all screens are at the same aspect ratio so stuff will get distorted in the loading screen(really ugly imo).

Another thing is the new loading text indicating what stage it is at is nice I really like it but can it be shifted to the absolute left so it isn't blocking the loading screen?
zerver
Spring Developer

Re: Why was the stretching returned to the loading screen?

Post by zerver »

Maybe some option for this? Black borders are also ugly imo.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I fought a battle to get loadscreens not to stretch, now they're back? I didn't notice cause I only really play BA with my own loadscreens designed for my res :P

Would be nice to get more options for loadscreens though. Something like a % progress bar would be nice as an option.
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

For non-stretched images text reading was ugly on edge between black stripe and image. Democratic way is to add an option for stretching.
smoth

Post by smoth »

jaz it isn't in the current build, it is in the dev build.

apparently people hated the black borders so possibly an optional tag as hoi said will be the best option.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

If I'm right, and, frankly, I'm pretty drunk so I may well not be :regret: , the new loadscreens are part of jk's design of allowing lua to control of loadscreens, so all this (and much more!) will be customisable in the long run.
kremmy

Post by kremmy »

The black borders were absolutely hideous. The loading screens, not being scaled and not matching the screen resolution in full screen, were placed haphazardly around the screen, leaving uneven borders and just weird aesthetics overall. In other words, it looked like crap. It's like the heatmapping thing - set it and forget it, then in practice it's all weird and wrong because honest testing didn't happen.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

offtopic, but maybe this can also be intended to fix the ugly loading progress updates that blocked all the fancy loading screens with ugly enormous text about "PATHERFINDINGS 42/9001"
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

how about a small progress bar? gives the crashlog infos if the game crashes while loading at a certain point ?
smoth

Post by smoth »

guys do read the minutes thread.

Return to “Engine”