XTA Wiki page

XTA Wiki page

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

babbles

XTA Wiki page

Post by babbles »

What do you guys think should/n't be on it? What do you think the tone of it should be?

And most importantly, current format or longer/more formal or shorter/more bullet points etc
scifi

Re: XTA Wiki page

Post by scifi »

The changes to the latest wiki page show a very informative and neutral view of the mod i like it a lot, but maybe something more exciting like, :P

Salesmen atitute
"XTA has one of the greatest micro in the spring comunity,the initial commander unit has a superb weapon, the dgun, it can make you survive a entire match up to 30 minutes using it alone.

"The commander with the regular unit support makes it for one of the most fun parts that this mod has to offer".

"One can argue units move slower and have more hp than in other spring mods, but one can say it makes you think harder when making move orders, and surely it adds to the flavour of trying to prevent your units from being killed, since your base can be defenceless."

"XTA is a carefull balance between keeping your units alive and doing the most damage to the enemy, while mantaining a stable economy.
It also has present another very interesting feature, for example a tier 2 unit sutch as the panther can be microed to do damage to the enemy commander, or severall unit groups effectivly, so small unit micro plays a more important role."

e.t.c...

well i dunno i find that the wiki is always a neutral piece of information, but one can add some tricks to lure the person who`s reading it :P
knorke

Post by knorke »

good start.
ill try to give some feedback:

remove comparing to OTA, cant understand half text if you have not played ota. for ota players make a ota-to-xta section.

bullets should be shorter.

dont divide in postive/negatives.
:arrow:
* XTA is more micro than macro, although the latter is a vital feature. Units have more health than other mods enabling players to keep units alive. Spamming is done less as units are more expensive and too many units means you will lose your units to the a few well microed enemies.
and in the negative section
* XTA, despite being faster than OTA, is seen to be a slow mod. Units move slower and due to the higher health, take longer to die. This allows for the player to have more impact and give a more tactical input, however is not for everyone's liking.
etc is basically the same.

Just say something like:
"Units move slowly and take quite a while to kill each other. Combined with the high repairspeed of the commander this makes for long, microed battles."
Under that put a picture of a common situation like 2 lines of missle units with commanders behind them.
as in some circumstances the Commander resembles a "Hero" unit
ic what you did there :regret:
* Despite being the second most played mod on Spring, XTA is largely underplayed and although many prefer the mod to others, the lack of games provides difficulty in getting running. Although there will nearly always be at least one game running.
Right under that it should have a notice to join #xta or whatever.

History section :arrow: nobody cares.
I guess many readers stop reading there and thus never get to the So where can I find out more? section.
babbles

Post by babbles »

Yeah, thing is is I edited the page, not created, so wasn't sure if I should remove the history bit, wanted to avoid people bawing, but thanks for the feedback and I'll edit it once a few more input.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

agree with the removal of too many OTA references and replacing positives and negatives sections with one that enumerates xta features and gameplay. Let each player judge what's positive or negative.
Tim-the-maniac

Post by Tim-the-maniac »

Don't see the need to list negative opinions really. Who's to say if slower units are a bad thing anyway?
Maybe change positives to just "gameplay" or something.
The "where can I find more" section could be moved higher as I think its more important than history
babbles

Post by babbles »

k thanks guys, I made some changes, what you think?

Added to "What is XTA" and removed 2nd paragraph about OTA.
XTA allows players to pit their tactical minds against each other whilst also testing your micro skills to the limit. With a multitude of play styles XTA offers dynamic wars which can change with one passage of battle.
Changed "Positives" to "Gameplay" and removed Negatives section.

Added to Gameplay section, maybe wording could do with some work?
Perhaps XTA's greatest strength is that players must keep the balance of keeping their own units alive through repairing and avoiding projectiles, while still doing maximum damage to the enemy. Amongst this they also have to keep their economy on track and try guess their opponent's next move. Sound easy? Give it to a go!
Removed:
*As already mentioned, XTA has had time to develop meaning has been balanced accordingly. Unlike most mods, in XTA every unit has its place and is used often. Some may seem to be more useful than others however the best players are able to decide which unit is best. However, one of XTA's strengths is that it is not always which unit but how it is used.
And shortened many of the former bullet points.

Moved/rephrased from "Gameplay" to "So where can I find out more?"
*The XTA community is always willing to listen to suggestions. The current forum can be found [http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=48here]. From there you will be able to read on the latest plans of XTA here, read the change log, and contribute your own ideas on the mod itself. Something not to your liking about the current XTA? Talk about, maybe have it changed! Many balance issues are discussed from the introduction of new units to the changing of a single unit's DPS.
Moved "So where can I find out more" section above history and made join "#xta channel" bold.

Moved History section to be above EyeCandy section. Should History be at the very bottom? And should we keep EyeCandy section, improve it or remove it?
knorke

Post by knorke »

personally when i see phrases as "offers dynamic wars" and "allows players to pit their tactical minds against each other" i just skip through the text because it means nothing. empty marketing sentences. all this does apply to ba as well.

i think many gamers read similiar all the time in ads, reviews etc.

do you think maybe an introduction video would be a good idea?
like show a battle and then pause the video and ie have it hightlight some samsons and a com, with a text above "commanders often walk around the battlefield with a small army that they repair" and then a T2 flak arrives and kills alot of stuff and a text says "The step from T1 to T2 is a huge one" or something.
i would maybe make this but need ideas.
babbles

Post by babbles »

I was thinking the same when I put that empty stuff there, but not sure what to put in their place
knorke

Post by knorke »

yoyo lets go to the movies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-JfponLOZs

it just finished uploading so the link might not work yet or the video be really blocky until yt is done converting.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

nice music, nice shots, however its not particularly informative...its kindof hard to tell whats going on.

imo these are far more useful...

http://jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1016 XTA UNIT GUIDE by TMO
knorke

Post by knorke »

yes its not perfective, thats for sure.
its just an introduction. ie its easier to spend 2 minutes watching a video than reading a text filled with game review speak. The unit guide is nice, but needs more of this situation images. Sadly its in .pdf and hard to update. If the wiki was like this, it could slowly grow.
I imagine a mix of tutorial and introduction.
If you read guides like http://springrts.com/wiki/Xta_commander it gives anidea of the game, maybe than the description text.

Return to “XTA”