REQ: Ambient Occlusion - Page 4

REQ: Ambient Occlusion

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: REQ: Ambient Occlusion

Post by Forboding Angel »

losbellos wrote: The problem is that ba is the most played. Other mods are only here and there played. Maybe we could ask them to replace the models.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Because we have nothing better to do.

Edit: I'm done being nice to you. So from here on out, you get both barrels.
losbellos

Post by losbellos »

Argumentative discussion misdemeanor 3.

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6693
Attachments
serverlist.jpg
serverlist
(216.65 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
losbellos

Post by losbellos »

Ok, I give up, you win.., play your mod alone then.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

offtopic: convience the mod-dev to include remodells or push ba-reloaded, when the code is existing why dont u make a widget then
losbellos

Post by losbellos »

read the topic back...
ba-reloaded? Hmm, sounds interesting. Is it opensource?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Its a sticky in the BA forum :P
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22234

I suppose when you are asking if it is open source, you are asking if it possible to open it up and see/change the contents, which it certainly is. If you are asking because you want to port the models yourself, I'm sure someone will be happy to walk you through the steps.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

The thing that really boggles the mind is, he's asking for a quite intensive graphical feature to spruce up models and textures from 1997.

Polish a turd, it's still a turd.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

He should just be banned.

*dodges incoming backseat moderation warning*
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

This thread should have been closed ages ago.
losbellos

Post by losbellos »

Do that, less thing to think about. I would play SupCom2 or STarCraft 2 instead. Or would use the time for wirting my book on 3d lighting, or coding realtime renderer controllers.

Thx for understanding me.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

most new models have AO or the equivalent burned into the texture already

nobody is interested really in maintaining / improving the look of BA in this manner apparently; bellos i realize english is probably not your first language and in this case it's difficult to understand your tone, being pushy and making demands is not the answer (again, probably not your intent, but thats how it reads)

ambient occlusion is great for picking out details on complicated models, but when you're dealing with simple models like in BA, the gain will be marginal because they are already polystarved.... nothing wrong with the shader from jk, in fact it looks very cool, but i think the added detail would be lost anyway once the textures and reflectivity etc are added to the models

do yourself (and us) a favour, read more through the forum and understand the different projects and the manner in which ideas are presented and suggested. you said it would take you months to learn to make the shader; well, welcome to the club of people who've lurked here for years working on their own projects, a few months pales in comparison to some of the herculean effort around here
losbellos

Post by losbellos »

well, this more like a conversation.

I don't agree on the AO. It is generally very good for every kind of object in order to represent better in 3d space. Even a box look like two times better with AO than with simple lighting. BTW this is what about the book I am writing. Lighting - represeting objects in 3d space.

So even a simple model in my opinion look much better with AO. But I understand you. It feels like an attachment to traditional 3d shading because you like it better and it is faster.
Burning the ao into the textures does look good for static parts of the model, and maybe some animated parts. But SSAO does it better even if it is lower resolution.

Realtime ao, gi, caustics are already knocking into the game engines. Look at the Siggraph events, videos. Its awesome what they do and how those models look with these rendering methods. The games too.

Well I dont want to spend more time on this. I mean no disrespection with what I wrote. I like the game because it is well playable. But I would love to see more people playing it (so we can have more fun) and well you know all those what we already mentioned. It is rather a suggestion than a push even If I like it that much... 8)
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

dont get me wrong, its a cool idea. i would use the shader if it existed for playing BA; im not sure how it would look on more complicated models and projects tho, which is why not many people seem interested.

the problem lies more with the fact that most people on here already have things they are working on, quite often massive projects with no end in sight.

im sure people would be willing to help you if you were to tackle this project yourself and spend some time on it; as omnipotent as the engine devs seem, they are actually real people with their own ideas and dreams ;)

there are some shaders already useable as widgets and gadgets in spring, i would think that examining these shaders and their implementation is a good place to start. maybe you'll surprise yourself if you start working on it
losbellos

Post by losbellos »

I dont know how much time I will have, I thought about creating some maps and models.For example some maps rendered with the new terragen. On the programming side I am pretty sure I will not do much. Maybe later some lua scripting. That is pretty easy.
maackey

Post by maackey »

jK wrote:This thread should have been closed ages ago.
You're probably right.

Return to “Lua Scripts”