An unethical idea to increase Spring's player base

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Petah

Post by Petah »

Here is an idea to get a few more players to try Spring:

And before I say it I know it unethical and disallowed by the official Spring community

Convert Starcraft 2 to Spring. We could export/import the models, textures and animations and copy the balance.

I'm sure that would get Spring a bit more noticed. And probably sued by Blizzard. But we have done it before with TA.
Jazcash

Re: An unethical idea to increase Spring's player base

Post by Jazcash »

Get out.
Gota

Post by Gota »

YES!!!
do et...if you make it i will come.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

literally everything about that post is wrong
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

My unethical proposal:
They're actually playing BA DSD.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

That's more of an observation than a proposal.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

0/10
Sucky_Lord

Post by Sucky_Lord »

And this is different to people playing sc2... how?
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

We need an Imperial Winter release...and it needs to be polished...and it needs to be hosted away from the *A mods on its own server/forums/etc.
Gouken

Post by Gouken »

spring > starcraft 2
Hobo Joe wrote:everything about that post is wrong
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Sheekel wrote:We need an Imperial Winter release...and it needs to be polished...and it needs to be hosted away from the *A mods on its own server/forums/etc.
So true. IW is probably spring's last chance. :|
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

very_bad_soldier wrote:
Sheekel wrote:We need an Imperial Winter release...and it needs to be polished...and it needs to be hosted away from the *A mods on its own server/forums/etc.
So true. IW is probably spring's last chance. :|
Well pretty much any game with a sufficient amount of polish and advertising.

But in the end there's been somewhat constant amount of players for a long time, I don't see that going away very soon no matter what.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

what if we would have such ultra ugly, simple, stupid, ... mods with actuality inside?
what i am thinking of is something like the browser game where eg. you are sidan hunting down that italian soccer player.
right now (even doh that is quite .. bad to do of course) you could have a "save the pakistanis" mod, where trucks with food ant water are spawning somewhere/anywhere on the map, and there are suffering people(chicken) all over the map, and you have to bring the trucks to them as fast as possible.
i know this idea is stupid, but am tired, and i do not know what else is going on in the world.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

JohannesH wrote:
very_bad_soldier wrote: So true. IW is probably spring's last chance. :|
Well pretty much any game with a sufficient amount of polish and advertising.
Yes, maybe. But with a Star Wars game you get a free 10x popularity multiplier. Hell, you can tell virtually everyone "Man, there is a free and open-source Star Wars game!!" and they will be enthusiastic (probably 8) ). I dont see another spring mod/game atm achieving the same effect.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

hoijui wrote:what if we would have such ultra ugly, simple, stupid, ... mods with actuality inside?
what i am thinking of is something like the browser game where eg. you are sidan hunting down that italian soccer player.
right now (even doh that is quite .. bad to do of course) you could have a "save the pakistanis" mod, where trucks with food ant water are spawning somewhere/anywhere on the map, and there are suffering people(chicken) all over the map, and you have to bring the trucks to them as fast as possible.
i know this idea is stupid, but am tired, and i do not know what else is going on in the world.
Not sure what you are saying but I think I like it! It is futile to try to compete with big budget games that spend millions on awesome graphics and effects. Whats the most popular game on spring? BA looks an old ladies backside compared to SC2 but who cares if its a good game? Look at dwarf fortress.. is that not a growing success story?
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

Also, integrate the lobby/matchmaking system with the singleplayer in one executable. simplify the task of getting started, make it accessable to the average 8th grader.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Sheekel wrote:Also, integrate the lobby/matchmaking system with the singleplayer in one executable.
http://trac.caspring.org/wiki/sd
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

Sheekel wrote:and it needs to be hosted away from the *A mods on its own server/forums/etc.
people start it up and see XTA BA CA NOTA BOTA S44 KP and all the others....imo a dedicated full-screen executable is needed (think starcraft 2-style)...
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Sheekel wrote:
Sheekel wrote:and it needs to be hosted away from the *A mods on its own server/forums/etc.
people start it up and see XTA BA CA NOTA BOTA S44 KP and all the others....imo a dedicated full-screen executable is needed (think starcraft 2-style)...
SD can be modified to point to whatever server the mod wishes and they can distribute that. It's just a setting like in any lobby client.

Dedicated fullscreen executable.. sorry not there yet. You can maximize it, that's almost fullscreen.
knorke

Post by knorke »

hoijui wrote:food ant water
This is relevant to my interessts.
what if we would have such ultra ugly, simple, stupid, ... mods with actuality inside?
idea is good but this kind of stuff only works for flashgames playable in browser so people can send each other the link by mail etc.

Also, integrate the lobby/matchmaking system with the singleplayer in one executable.
Such a long way lol.

Spring would not need many things
-good lobby that does not break after 3 months. SD is good but having to change map by typing !map small divide ahahaha. haha.
-not breaking so many things after a new release. you might think that after a new version players might want to try spring (again)
At the moment, that is always a very bad idea.

Hosting games on different servers is bad because spring players like to idle and then play when some interessting game opens.
People will not idle on two servers. People would download SW and be on an empty server. Better be on a server with tons of BA players that will at least answer to "hi, whats this"

Return to “General Discussion”